Author Topic: primitives discuss new kitchen utensil  (Read 457 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss new kitchen utensil
« on: April 05, 2009, 05:40:42 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x62702

Oh my.

The primitives, allegedly "non-materialistic," prove their base materialism again.

As usual.

Gottahavethings.....gottahavethings.....gottahavethings.....gottahavethings.....

NashVegas  (1000+ posts)        Sat Apr-04-09 08:05 PM
Original message

I Just Used My New Food Mill. It Was Awesome!

after which a photograph of some stupid-looking thing; some primitives must have storage places as big as the Pentagon, to stuff their stuff

http://www.amazon.com/Oxo-Good-Grips-Food-Mill/dp/B000I...

It was at TJ Maxx Home Goods Store for $10 - MORE awesome!

Anyway, I used it to crush a can of whole S.M. tomatoes. Took about 90 seconds and strained out all the pulp & seeds. Rocked the house.

(Costco had a shipment of fresh, hand-thrown New Jersey mozz in, so it demanded a pizza night.)

pleah  (1000+ posts)        Sat Apr-04-09 08:16 PM
Response to Original message

1. I have a plastic and stainless steal version that I have had for 27 years. I love mine.

And probably used it twice in 27 years, I bet.

The Polynesian queen, the primitive woman bothered by cold weather:

troubleinwinter  (1000+ posts)      Sat Apr-04-09 08:28 PM

2. What a great buy!!!! Ya should be able to easily make spaetzle with the coarse disk.

I was going to ask, but probably some primitive will ask.

NashVegas  (1000+ posts)        Sat Apr-04-09 09:43 PM
Response to Reply #2

3. Pardon Me, But

WTH is "spaetzle"?

Yep, a primitive asked my question for me.

And as usual, the warped primitive comes to the rescue:

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Sat Apr-04-09 09:45 PM
Response to Reply #3

5. It's an egg noodle that's usually pushed through a colander

A food mill's holes are a little fine for them, even the coarse one.

There's even a spaetzle thread somewhere in the last couple of pages here.

You know, despite that her politics are based upon irrationality, and despite that the warped primitive loathes and detests and Hates all that is good and decent in the world, the warped primitive is okay in my book; I'd sit down for some beer and chitchat with her.

Grandma ("hippywife") and the Rita Hayworth primitive ("Tambourine LaBamba" or something like that) are okay, but when it comes to comprehensive and accurate practical knowledge, the warped primitive's tops in my book.

troubleinwinter  (1000+ posts)      Sun Apr-05-09 04:26 AM
Response to Reply #5

8. I kinda wondered too if that coarse disk in the set would have large enough holes. But then I came across a picture of a German press that seems to have pretty small holes. I also note that some photos of spaetzle are coarse like mine, and some are fairly thin (they do puff up some during cooking)

after which photographs of this thingamajig in action, and the finished results

troubleinwinter  (1000+ posts)      Sun Apr-05-09 04:13 AM
Response to Reply #3

7. German noodle-dumplings.

The dough is kinda half way between a batter and a dough. Eggs, flour, milk/water. They are kinda light & chewy. Most often served as a side dish, as with something like Swiss steak with gravy.

after which photograph of some indecipherable chow

My spaetzle maker is like this:

after which photograph of a pot with holes on the bottom

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Sat Apr-04-09 09:44 PM

4. I have an ancient Mouli that I used most of the time before food processors came out whenever I wanted to make hummus or potato soups or anything that required a puree. Mine is quite large, holds over a quart of food to be pureed, and has loop handles on 2 sides instead of a loop and a post handle.

I still use the coarse blade for pureed soups where I still want a little bite here and there. Nothing is better for tomatoes than the fine blade, squishes through the pulp and juice while leaving skin and seeds behind.

csziggy  (1000+ posts)      Sun Apr-05-09 01:54 AM

6. Food mills are great!

Mine is an ancient one I found at Goodwill or some thrift shop. I used it the most when I made apple butter. Roughly chopped the apples, threw them in the pot with just a little bit of water, simmered until everything was mush, then ran them through the food mill which removed the skin, seeds and any tough bits. Then I seasoned and reheated the apple butter.

I think we made about 3 gallons and it lasted forever. We made it in 1993 and my husband finished the last jar last month.

It does not look as though our trees set many apples this year so if we want more, I will have to buy apples when they are in season.

This pot with holes on the bottom apparently makes spaghetti noodles.

I just looked in the freezer of the refrigerator here (disclaimer; I'm a single person with an enormous refrigerator, plenty of room to stash things), pulling out a package of Gooch's spaghetti noodles, unopened, although "expired" in 02/98.

The package still has its price tag, fifty-nine cents for 16 ounces.

With spaghetti noodles so cheap, who would bother going through the time and trouble--not to mention the subsequent cleaning up--of making them, unless one is a primitive?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 05:42:55 AM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge