Author Topic: spandex primitive tries to hire an electrician  (Read 664 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
spandex primitive tries to hire an electrician
« on: April 01, 2009, 02:05:22 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=287x7525

Oh my.

Phentex  (1000+ posts)        Mon Mar-23-09 05:37 PM
Original message

I tried to hire an electrician...

we've had some flickering of the lights when appliances are used and my dryer had a hard time starting a few times. The power company came out and said we needed a new meter can. Coincidentally or not, the power company had replaced the meters not long ago and then we started having a problem...

So I started calling electricians to try and get a quote. I got some names from neighbors and some online lists. First one wanted $189 just to come out and give me a quote. Next one wanted $112. Third one said the panel in the house would need to be replaced at the same time and that starts at $2500. Fourth one can't come for a few weeks (which is ok but still.) Next one came out and said we should go ahead and replace the panel inside, plus the smoke detectors and would need GFIs in the bathrooms, and about 10 other things which would be required for permitting. His quote wasn't too bad (less than $2500!) but I didn't like him asking to see the upstairs bedrooms and bathrooms then and there when I was home alone (with dogs, lol). Turns out his quote was for an upgrade of the electrical system, which I was not asking for, and most of the add-ons were because of that.

Finally, the last guy said he could just replace the meter can. And he gave us a price.

Then he said he could change out the panel (but not upgrade) and he gave us a price. He said you don't need all that extra stuff to pass inspection if you are just replacing and not upgrading.

Why is this so hard? I admit I know nothing about this kind of thing but when people aren't speaking apples to apples, how are you supposed to know what to believe?

What the Hades is a "meter can"?

eleny  (1000+ posts)      Mon Mar-23-09 10:06 PM
Response to Original message

1. Feeling your pain here

I guess you could learn about what's required for your area. Out here, you don't need to bring everything up to code when doing something else. If that's the case, you know who to cross off your your list of electrical contractors.

Some of this comes with experience. That means interviewing as many electricians as it takes to get to a comfort level. But learning some things about the electrical code in your area is the important thing here. You can always call down to the local office and get some information without identifying yourself. Then, make the people coming out give you an estimate that covers only the things you want done. Be firm - all they can do is walk out.

Decades ago, my mom acted as her own general contractor after a fire burned part of a house my family owned next door to us. One time, two contractors showed up at the same time for the same kind of estimate. Right on the spot they competed with each other for price. So from then on she scheduled contractors to come out at the same time. Mom was one of a kind but I learned a lot from her gumption.

Typical primitive, trying to deprive honest working people from making money.

Phentex  (1000+ posts)        Wed Mar-25-09 11:38 AM
Response to Reply #1

2. Thanks. We do have access to electrical engineers...

and they said what you said. IF we upgrade, we'll need to pass a more thorough inspection. Replacing the meter can isn't a big deal.

eleny  (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-25-09 11:33 PM
Response to Reply #2

3. Good to get professional advice...

We had a small storage room converted into a bathroom that requires a GFI outlet. It all went smoothly and the inspector didn't look at other wiring in the house. But it can be different from place to place. Good to know what's required in your area.

I'll never forget an electrician we had come out for an estimate decades ago. He sat in the dining room pontificating about how "if you're going to do it, you do it right". That meant we had to do it his way. We didn't hire him.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
Re: spandex primitive tries to hire an electrician
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 02:45:59 PM »
What the Hades is a "meter can"?

It's the "box" that the meter fits into.  The wire from the pole goes in one side, and the other wire goes into the main disconnect or into the main box in the house.

I had the same problem a few years ago, also after the power company replaced the meters.

I replaced my own box, I do my own wiring, carpentry, masonry, plumbing, etc.  "F" the inspectors, all they do is collect money for the county and get in my way.... 

Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.