Author Topic: subway cat wishes she were mediocre  (Read 2340 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
subway cat wishes she were mediocre
« on: April 01, 2009, 01:30:08 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=219x12472

Oh my.

eppur_se_muova  (1000+ posts)        Sat Mar-14-09 03:33 PM
Original message

Warning over narcissistic pupils (BBC)

The growing expectation placed on schools and parents to boost pupils' self-esteem is breeding a generation of narcissists, an expert has warned.

Dr Carol Craig said children were being over-praised and were developing an "all about me" mentality.

She said teachers increasingly faced complaints from parents if their child failed a spelling test or did not get a good part in the school pantomime.

Schools needed to reclaim their role as educators, not psychologists, she said.

Dr Craig, who is chief executive of the centre for confidence and well-being in Scotland, was speaking at the Association of School and College Leaders conference in Birmingham.

more: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/7943906.st...

Self-esteem is not something that can be slapped on like a coat of paint. Real self-esteem comes from accomplishment.

Note that this problem is identified as an import from the US. I blame the Reagan/Gingrich free-market attitude that an education is a product that you purchase (rather than a process in which you must make a commitment to active participation) for much of the problem. Gingrich and his know-nothing cohort were very big on the idea of schools being run like businesses, which has been the worst thing to happen to education in this country EVER.

Minor case of the giggles over use of the word 'pantomime'.

undergroundpanther  (1000+ posts)        Sat Mar-14-09 05:26 PM
Response to Reply #4

5. Being "gifted"

When you really ARE.. it hurts,because if you really are gifted, it is almost impossible to admit it YOURSELF,to see yourself as 'gifted' because of how others are so hostile to the gifted. Mediocre people get threatened and so shame the things you are interested in .Mediocre people around you will humiliate you,the mediocre will eat you alive because you aren't enough like them to make their egos feel in control.They hate you for being the real thing.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.ph...

Many times because of the abuse at school I wished I was mediocre too,but I quickly bored with the stuff they were into.I'd rather be reading philosophy or about black holes and consciousness studies. Being gifted for real while among people who think they are gifted but are not gifted,hurts.They'll hate you for what you are,what you know and love,it hurts to be the truly gifted in this world that rewards those who are incompetent and narcissistic.

Here is an example of the hostility:

Oh dear.

undergroundpanther  (1000+ posts)        Sun Mar-15-09 11:47 PM
Response to Reply #6

8. I agree with you this whole country is more narcissistic than it used to be.

Wow.  And here, it always seemed to me it was just the subway cat getting more and more narcissistic.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
Re: subway cat wishes she were mediocre
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 01:55:01 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=364x1641211#1645275

undergroundpanther  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jul-16-06 03:00 AM
Response to Reply #37
155. Some of the people
 I relate to the best are borderline retarded. Ironic ain't it?
Slightly. :rofl:

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 02:10:03 PM »
Self-esteem is not something that can be slapped on like a coat of paint. Real self-esteem comes from accomplishment.

Note that this problem is identified as an import from the US. I blame the Reagan/Gingrich free-market attitude that an education is a product that you purchase (rather than a process in which you must make a commitment to active participation) for much of the problem. Gingrich and his know-nothing cohort were very big on the idea of schools being run like businesses, which has been the worst thing to happen to education in this country EVER.

Wow, just when you think one of these idiots has a clue! The first sentence indicates s/h/it gets it...exactly the point the article was trying to make. Then the DUmmie goes off on some stupid rant that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. What the hell do Reagan and Gingrich have to do with the education system, especially since both have been out of office long enough for any or all of their policies to be overturned? Besides, if schools were really run like a business wouldn't product quality be important? It is in private schools that must provide better quality education since parents have to choose to pay for something they can get for free. Self esteem doesn't get anyone an *A* on a math test or 90% on a spelling test. How can children know when they're really doing well or truly understand a concept if they get a pat on the back and a sticker for every freaking thing they do?

Personally, I think this whole self esteem thing is very counterproductive. Show me someone with an abundance of unearned self esteem and I'll show you a sociopath. Charles Manson...tons of self esteem. Ted Bundy...Ruchard Ramirez...John Wayne Gacy...so full of themselves they believed they had the right to play God with other people's lives and reveled in the fact that they continued to get away with it. And then of course there's Barak the messiah. He's got loads of self esteem too. It does make one wonder.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 02:49:43 PM »
Panther Pisss believes he/she/it is GIFTED?

You's gots to be kiddin'!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 02:59:41 PM »
Being gifted for real while among people who think they are gifted but are not gifted,hurts.They'll hate you for what you are,what you know and love,it hurts to be the truly gifted in this world that rewards those who are incompetent and narcissistic.

Now UP knows what I feel like when I post at the DUmp!

:lmao:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 03:24:39 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=364x1641211#1645275
 Slightly. :rofl:

wow. these people are so shortbus they think they are 'gifted' which is now codeword for retarded

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
subway cat wishes she were mediocre

Good to see she is aspiring to improve herself.  Himself.  Itself.  Whatever.

:fuelfire:

Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 04:52:37 PM »
Undergroundpanther is another one of the gifted on DU ? boy, that thar site be the smartest evar, as it breeks all statistikal barriars on IQ...  :whatever:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 05:06:26 PM »
Many times because of the abuse at school I wished I was mediocre too,but I quickly bored with the stuff they were into.I'd rather be reading philosophy or about black holes and consciousness studies. Being gifted for real while among people who think they are gifted but are not gifted,hurts.They'll hate you for what you are,what you know and love,it hurts to be the truly gifted in this world that rewards those who are incompetent and narcissistic.

Wait a minute. I thought while everyone else spend their childhoods in school that the SheManPersonCat was trapped in a government lab somewhere being forced to remote view via organic pineapple juice. Am I remembering incorrectly?

Oh, and a piece of advice, anytime someone makes fun of you for being "gifted" tell them about your wondrous astral travels to Panther Mountain.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 05:12:31 PM »
I blame the Reagan/Gingrich free-market attitude that an education is a product that you purchase

Stupidest thing I've heard from the DUmp #9,232

If education was ever truly treated like a product, which indeed it should, it would have gone the way of the Edsel Stationwagon a long long time ago.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 05:52:19 PM »
An obese,tatooed freak with orange hair that thinks it is a male cat is now the definition of gifted?

Newsflash for you ya insane cretin....you are a worthless nothing,always have been a worthless nothing,always will be a worthless nothing.

And it is one of the "stars" at the DUmp......sheesh.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 05:59:41 PM »
Wait a minute. I thought while everyone else spend their childhoods in school that the SheManPersonCat was trapped in a government lab somewhere being forced to remote view via organic pineapple juice. Am I remembering incorrectly?

Oh, and a piece of advice, anytime someone makes fun of you for being "gifted" tell them about your wondrous astral travels to Panther Mountain.

That is correct - S/he is a genius misunderstood transgendered psychic furry suffering from depression.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 06:47:51 PM »

she saw Cat People once too often

Offline ScubaGuy

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 07:13:20 PM »

This almost deserves a separate thread.

From on of the links the Subway kitty left.

Cat droppings
angrycarpenter  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Aug-18-07 01:12 AM
Response to Original message
2. damn right we are

Let me tell you my own story in brief.

In 1976 I was in 6th grade and had just been tested at IQ 185 so I was assigned to the gifted program. This involved A 45 minute bus ride to the county tech school one day A week. I was expected to go to this place and keep the grades in my regular classes steady. The class was a JOKE. Half the time it involved college students giving us psychological tests on which to base their own papers. The other half was basically playing with puzzles and games. Worthless. No steady teacher, No structure whatsoever.

In the meantime back at everyday school things were not well either. By being singled out as A "genius" I was unmercifully tormented by the other kids. I went to A small rural football school and some days I got beaten 3 or 4 times before I could get home. My teachers did not like having to take the trouble of making sure the assignments I missed were made up or tests retook and started bitching openly in class to the point That I went to the guidance counselor and asked to go back to the normal curriculum. The label "gifted" followed me until I graduated.

As the official nerd in A hick school I was subjected to some pretty horrible treatment at the hands of the football jocks. The teachers, who were allowed to paddle in front of the class and did with frightening regularity, Were unimaginative hicks themselves and did nothing to protect my 98 pound frame from the brutality of the football team that they worshiped like gods. Really the only thing I learned at that school was how to take A punch.

I turned into A bitter loner weirdo who spent hours reading and dreaming of revenge instead of having fun. I all but quit participating in school, doing the minimum to pass to the next grade so that my time in hell would be over. In 1980 I moved to Florida with my parents and went to work right out of high school and never spoke to anyone from that town ever again

I'm still kind of bitter about it sometimes. Sometimes I wake with my fists clenched, having had A dream where I was back there again being made to crawl by man-sized boys with pea-brains. I almost weep for the kids who are still going through the same or worse from A school system that does not know what to do with them and A society that hates them and will beat them down to their level out of sheer spite.

So here we have an unemployable carpenter living with his parents and he claims a 185 IQ.

It may just be me but someone with an IQ of 185 would probably be capable of finding a way to make a living.
25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have Obama, no hope and no cash.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 07:20:11 PM »
For someone who's so smart ( :sarcasm: ), he sure does use capital letters in weird places.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 07:27:16 PM »
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 08:04:28 PM »
Oh FFS!

Seriously? You got beat up because you thought you were better than everyone else. So really...what's changed aside from the venue?

Someone who has been properly trained in how to administer and interpret the WAIS (or WISC for kids) would NEVER tell you what your IQ is. Taking a test on the Intarwebs will not yield accurate results.

These asshats can't even lie well.  :whatever:

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 09:34:01 PM »

This almost deserves a separate thread.

From on of the links the Subway kitty left.

Cat droppings
So here we have an unemployable carpenter living with his parents and he claims a 185 IQ.

It may just be me but someone with an IQ of 185 would probably be capable of finding a way to make a living.

NO SHIT!!! You would think a genius of his calibre would have invented the first cure for cancer or a new space age engine cabable of light speed. Hell he should have been working with Stephen Hawking when he was in the 6th grade!

WTF?

I think more than likely his IQ was 185, -100 and he was riding the short bus to special ED.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 09:35:36 PM by AllosaursRus »
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 09:38:35 PM »

I think more than likely his IQ was 185, -100 and he was riding the short bus to special ED.

very generous.

These geniuses were oppressed by reality, gravity, air pressure, liquid water, sunlight, dew on the grass, wind and common sense. So that is why they could not cure cancer or create a new and better form of energy or learn to grow food crops in a desert

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 09:46:50 PM »

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I was thinking the same.  :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 06:53:22 AM »
undergroundpanther  (1000+ posts)        Sat Mar-14-09 05:26 PM
Response to Reply #4

5. Being "gifted"

When you really ARE.. it hurts,because if you really are gifted, it is almost impossible to admit it YOURSELF,to see yourself as 'gifted' because of how others are so hostile to the gifted. Mediocre people get threatened and so shame the things you are interested in .Mediocre people around you will humiliate you,the mediocre will eat you alive because you aren't enough like them to make their egos feel in control.They hate you for being the real thing.
http://www.democraticunde...nd.com/discuss/duboard.ph...

Here is an example of the hostility:

Spoken like a true Narcissist! :whatever:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline happy1ga

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 04:39:22 PM »
OGMAFB! No, they wouldn't tell a child what they tested on IQ testing, and for that matter, 185 is an extremely high number for an IQ testing score. My daughter who could speak in  full sentences at 13 mos, read on a 2nd grade reading level at 3, was tested multiple times, by different testers, on the full battery of IQ tests. She scored a 165 median in 2nd grade. She is extremely bright, very mature. However, basic things, confound the crap out of her. When she was small, I think she would have drowned if allowed to be out in a rainstorm, rather than seek cover. So, I find it hard to believe, mostly by what they write, to believe they are gifted, in the true sense. My daughter is an odd critter, also. She graduated from HS from a girl's boarding school shortly after her 16th b'day. She got pregnant ON PURPOSE, so she could get married at 17. She's been married for three yrs., lives half way across the country from me, has 2 children, and works and goes to college p/t. It is a hard life, but one she chose for herself, and wants to manage herself. This leads me to believe that the UP creature, and the moocher carpenter, are full of it, as they obviously unable to take care of themselves, as adults. I think they may have been in some special classes, and their parents didn't want to damage their fragile egos, by telling them. BTW, is it a sign of genius to capitalize the letter A in your diatribe?
There is no virtue in compulsory government charity, and there is no virtue in advocating it. A politician who portrays himself as caring and sensitive because he wants to expand the government's charitable programs is merely saying that he is willing to do good with other people's money. Well, who isn't? And a voter who takes pride in supporting such programs is telling us that he will do good with his own money— if a gun is held to his head.