Author Topic: We sure like tearing each other down, don't we?  (Read 910 times)

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
We sure like tearing each other down, don't we?
« on: March 30, 2009, 02:01:17 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5353445

Roadless (76 posts)      Sun Mar-29-09 05:41 PM
Original message
We sure like tearing each other down, don't we?
 Edited on Sun Mar-29-09 06:21 PM by Roadless
At least the Republicans can play team ball when they regain power after eight years of losses.... Us? We rip at each others throats within two months.

When I see Paul Krugman basically acting as point man in tearing down the Obama admin, it makes me sick. Two months.

Two months.

This administration will not be able to repair the eight years of incompetence by GWB in two months. They will not make all the right moves or put smiles on everyone's faces. But it's an improvement, and it's a start. And back in January of 2005, that felt like a million miles away.

Let's give them some time to even do something before we start ripping apart ideas with analysis paralysis.

All this bitching from our side of the aisle at *each other* reminds me of this line from Pink Floyd's "Dogs":

And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.
You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.

Webster Green  (1000+ posts)      Sun Mar-29-09 05:45 PM
Response to Original message
3. Repukes are lockstep drones..
 I'm not interested in copying their behavior.
  :rotf:

Tim01 (312 posts)      Sun Mar-29-09 05:51 PM
Response to Reply #3
6. Just to make sure I understand.
 The infighting will cause a loss to the republicans.
You would prefer to loose to the republicans and have them in power, instead of being a team player?

Or do you have another alternative which is likely to actually happen?

Webster Green  (1000+ posts)      Sun Mar-29-09 06:15 PM
Response to Reply #6
17. Your post makes no sense.
 "The infighting will cause a loss to the republicans."

Huh?

We need to hold our leaders accountable, and not be afraid to criticize their decisions, regardless of their party affiliation.

paulsby (837 posts)      Sun Mar-29-09 05:53 PM
Response to Reply #3
8. that's crap
 just like it's crap that we should be.

there was IMMENSE dissent and disagreement amongst repubs about all sorts of decisions made by bush.

there is and should be disagreement and dissent about what obama does.

i have yet to see this "lockstep " stuff that is claimed.

but then i read libertarian (reason), repub (national review), and democrat (the nation) periodicals to see the variety of opinion.

i think obama has done a good job so far, but people are expecting WAY too much too soon 

Webster Green  (1000+ posts)      Sun Mar-29-09 06:10 PM
Response to Reply #8
16. If there was immense dissent, I sure don't remember it..
 Are you series? 

I agree with the rest of what you said though

paulsby (837 posts)      Sun Mar-29-09 06:16 PM
Response to Reply #16
18. i certainly do
 i have never thought this "the repubs march in lockstep meme" was supported by evidence.

maybe it's because people here rely on freepers for what repubs think. i've never even been to that website.

the republican "flagship" is historically the national review, and there was always immense dissent and disagreement on all sorts of issues (read the corner, for instance), just as there is here.

i think the "they march in lockstep" meme is harmful, just like any false belief. it's easy to discount repubs and say "oh, they all march in lockstep" kind of like saying "they are all idiots" but it's illogical and not helpful because it ignores reality.

there are many different groups in the repubs (paleocons, neocons, libertariancons, religious conservatives, areligious conservatives, south park conservatives, crunchy cons, etc.) and understanding the diversity is important imo.

but about the only rw source i hear mentioned here is freerep***** and if everybody there marches in lockstep, that is hardly a typical sample.

Webster Green  (1000+ posts)      Sun Mar-29-09 06:37 PM
Response to Reply #18
27. I don't go to the freeper site, nor do I read the National Review..
 But I remember the repuke antics (and votes) in the halls of congress, and it was decidedly lockstep.

They gave the ****ing war-chimp everything he wanted, each and every time.

What did I miss? When did they dissent?

paulsby (837 posts)      Sun Mar-29-09 07:58 PM
Response to Reply #27
38. oh, we are talking two different things
 i wasn't talking about republican POLITICIANS. i was talking about republicans.

Webster Green  (1000+ posts)      Sun Mar-29-09 10:41 PM
Response to Reply #38
61. I'm talking about both.
 And I'm sticking to my story. You can defend them if you like. To me they are scum. 

paulsby (837 posts)      Sun Mar-29-09 11:15 PM
Response to Reply #61
63. that's not what i am doing
 i am describing them.

telling falsehoods about one's opponents doesn't help anybody.

believing falsehoods is simply a tactically unsound practice.

history is full of examples of people misunderstanding the opposition, and thus being less effective at fighting them.

sun tzu knew what's up.

understand yourself, and your opponent.

Webster Green  (1000+ posts)      Mon Mar-30-09 01:19 AM
Response to Reply #63
70. Oh, I understand them alright..
 They're ****ing neanderthals. Defend them all you like, but you will never change my mind.

I would rather believe my own eyes and ears. Mm-kay?

paulsby (837 posts)      Mon Mar-30-09 11:01 AM
Response to Reply #70
81. do you have an issue with reading comprehension?
 apparently so.

i am not "defending them". i am saying i prefer to actually (lord forbid) understand my opponent.

you, otoh, prefer to believe myths and lies that make you feel comfortable.

Webster Green  (1000+ posts)      Mon Mar-30-09 02:40 PM
Response to Reply #81
83. Eat my shorts, you ****ing repuke troll!
 Christ-O-Rama! You are tedious. Go lick a ****ing chimp or something.

:kumbaya:

Turns into a poo flinging fest later.  :-)

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Re: We sure like tearing each other down, don't we?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 02:12:16 PM »
Every day makes me realize that the remainder of the next four years won't be so bad as long as we have top-rated entertainment such as DU.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 02:12:38 PM »
Paulsby has too many functioning brain cells to be on that site.  Granite in that guy's future for sure.

:popcorn:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 02:34:48 PM »
LWolf  (1000+ posts)        Sun Mar-29-09 06:01 PM
Response to Original message
13. I don't see the "each other" part. 
 I see the left tearing down the corporate center-right agenda of the new administration.

As they should. We should not go quietly into that nightmare of corporatism.

Here at DU, I see those still left of center doing the same to the new administration's center-right policies. Not to those who disagree. And not to the administration as a whole. Although I have to admit that the people Obama has chosen to lead leave a bad taste, for the most part.

I see those that don't like criticism of the new administration going all out to tear down dissent. Not by attacking the message, but by going after the messenger with unadulterated hatred. Not all Obama fans, of course, but a very present and loud core.

I haven't seen the "haters" meme so much since a year ago, when it was the "hillary haters."

I have been called, in the last two days on DU, "Rush," "The Enemy," a "DINO," a "Naderhumper," a "mindless hypocrite," "pissy," lol, and more. I haven't called Obama supporters anything but wrong in their support of bad policy.

For me it's not about attacking Obama, but his bad policies. It's not about eviscerating my fellow DUers, but about expressing my displeasure with the direction the new administration is headed on many issues. Not on all.

I have also had a few positive things to say in the last couple of days, but those have gone unremarked by the Obama attack dogs. I've begun to wonder if some aren't operating under the slogan "If you can't bash what the leftist has to say, don't say anything at all."

I don't need to tear down fellow DUers. I do need to tear down destructive national policy.

That's just me.

your pain....it tastes like candy....sweet sweet candy...
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Karin

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 01:39:05 PM »
I wasn't quite prepared to believe that Paulsby read National Review, but I think he skims a little of it at least.  I'm wondering if when he grows up a little more, he won't become conservative.  If he actually does read some NR, I applaud him; I could never sit around and read The Nation.  My head would explode. 

Webster Green, now there's a mouth breathing oaf. 

Offline happy1ga

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 05:09:54 AM »
Paulb, and a couple of others could easily be turned if they got hooked up with the right people. They actually have functioning brain cells. There may be help for them in the future, if someone could get to them and reprogram them to see reality, fully. The Kermit primative is a closed minded crotch sniffer. But that was one of the best threads I have seen from there. It is one of the few worth reading all the way through.
There is no virtue in compulsory government charity, and there is no virtue in advocating it. A politician who portrays himself as caring and sensitive because he wants to expand the government's charitable programs is merely saying that he is willing to do good with other people's money. Well, who isn't? And a voter who takes pride in supporting such programs is telling us that he will do good with his own money— if a gun is held to his head.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 10:44:37 AM »
Webster Green, now there's a mouth breathing oaf.

Yeah, one wonders what's wrong with the Noah Webster primitive.

I suspect it's something that more fiber in the diet can ameliorate.
apres moi, le deluge