Author Topic: ALL High Schools should be turned into two year colleges  (Read 703 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
ALL High Schools should be turned into two year colleges
« on: June 15, 2020, 10:21:22 PM »
Amy-Strange (530 posts)

ALL High Schools should be turned into two year colleges, and...the result would be that everyone who finishes high school would be awarded the Associates Degree of their choice, but you know that ain't gonna happen, because of the way the accreditation system is set up in this country.

I have an Associates Degree, and the only difference between what I learned in college and high school was that you got more details about each subject in college.

Of course, that might make an AA almost obsolete like a high school diploma is, but the important thing is that it will also give everyone a two year heads up on college and less student loan debt.

Just my opinion, but I think it's worth discussing.

What do y'all think?

EDIT: I'm talking about turning the high schools we already pay for into college Associate Degree shops, without going to and paying for college, or something like that.
============

:whatever: you mean worthless, not obsolete...

Thomas Hurt (6,516 posts)

1. I always thought of associates degrees as more trades or vocational oriented...

something you didn't get in high school other than a shop class, if they still do shop class.

I learned a lot more about critical thinking in college though, that is not a bad thing if it will take with people.

Star Member Yavin4 (29,551 posts)

4. I agree. Though, I would extend High School by 2 years.

And create different tracks. One for people who want to go to college and another track for people who want to learn a profession like plumbing, carpentry, hair salon, etc.

Star Member csziggy (29,432 posts)

8. Back in the 1960s the high school I went to had three tracks

College prep, vo-tech (vocational/technical), and general. College prep is obvious; vo-tech had farming, mechanical, carpentry, plumbing, and more; general was basically low level business and general education - most of the girls that were not getting ready for college took that track and learned short hand and business classes or more cooking and sewing than the basic Home Ec classes taught. Vo-tech was mostly for the boys.

It was a great system. Many of the vo-tech boys were prepared to begin learning a trade or even start a career as soon as they graduated high school. One boy I graduated with took the plumbing track. He now owns his own plumbing business, now the largest in that little town. In many ways they learned more useful stuff than we college prep students did.

:yawn:

Star Member aikoaiko (30,985 posts)

6. Actually, we're almost there already.

I work at a university and we get many new students with lots of earned credit hours already.

Between Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, CLEP, and Dual Enrollment, students can easily earn 30 hours and some up to 60 credit hours.

I could see tacking a 13th or 14th year to HS with the right standards. If the faculty were owned and assessed by colleges, it would be easy.

Star Member csziggy (29,432 posts)

11. My little sister skipped her twelfth year of high school and went to community college

She CLEPed a lot of the basic credits, took classes over the summer and graduated from high school with her class and got her AA degree at the same time. Since she had started first grade early at the age of 5, she was way ahead of the game. She breezed through her BA in business in a year and a half and was too young to sign contracts once she graduated.

Considering her mental problems, she would have done better to have taken it slower, but it's still impressive to know that it can be done.

Star Member JI7 (76,627 posts)

16. Students can go to 2 year college and transfer right now

Amy-Strange (530 posts)

19. Is it free?

-

because if it's not, why pay for college when we already pay for high school through our property taxes and such.
============

:thatsright:

betsuni (13,525 posts)

40. I've always thought the last two years of high school were a waste of time.

Because they were for me. I wasn't planning on going to college, but after less than a year after high school realized my career choice wasn't for me after all, so I went to school. I was shocked how much I'd learned was either wrong or hopelessly shallow. And by 19 it's a little late to begin a real education. Then I understood my professor relative who said he had to undo the bad habits of his students their first year. His college now requires a number of remedial-type general knowledge classes before students can enroll in regular classes. A pre-101, and they boast of a high number of AP freshmen.

Early education should be so good that by what's now junior year in high school you can choose an academic (last two years more like first two years of college) or vocational path or have other choices while you're still young enough to make the most of learning ability.

:whatever:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Mary Ann

Re: ALL High Schools should be turned into two year colleges
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 06:03:53 AM »
Colleges now have to offer remedial reading, writing, and math courses because public education is failing. So--why not implement this DUpipo's idea? A h.s. diploma couldn't get much more worthless than it already is.

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 09:38:45 AM »
Not enough!!!

We need to make all elementary schools junior colleges.  A middle school would be the same as getting a bachelors degree and high school would be the equivalent of a masters degree.

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 10:03:17 AM »
Do DUpipo really believe that hiring businesses won't recognize inflated AA degrees as worthless? And institutions that practice degree inflation will become known and their degrees deemed worthless (like Zimbabwean dollars and Venezuelan Bolivars!). Like grade inflation, degree inflation would hurt those with degrees, not help them.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 12:35:13 PM »
Do DUpipo really believe that hiring businesses won't recognize inflated AA degrees as worthless? And institutions that practice degree inflation will become known and their degrees deemed worthless (like Zimbabwean dollars and Venezuelan Bolivars!). Like grade inflation, degree inflation would hurt those with degrees, not help them.

Boston College should have that happen to them for at least one reason...
AOC graduated cum laude from Boston University College of Arts and Sciences with a BA in 2011, majoring in international relations and economics.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 01:08:52 PM »
Not enough!!!

We need to make all elementary schools junior colleges.  A middle school would be the same as getting a bachelors degree and high school would be the equivalent of a masters degree.

Ah, you righty!  It needs to be a Master's degree at birth (if you can make it that far).  Then the requirement won't be so hard to meet.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 05:10:21 PM »
The reality that the leftist,union dominated education system has completely destructed in the last 40-50 years hits them in the face and they don`t even grasp it.