Author Topic: DU's Trail of Tears  (Read 905 times)

Offline zeitgeist

DU's Trail of Tears
« on: June 13, 2020, 06:58:01 PM »
To appreciate the flavor of this thread may I suggest running this Youtube in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH3fGfgNVdM

:lol:    Hypocrite thy name is Cher but ya gotta admit she use to be a fine piece of eye candy.

Bradshaw3 (4,161 posts)

'Time for a change:' Cherokee Nation removes monuments dedicated to Confederate soldiers
snip/

Principal Chief Chuck Hoskin Jr., in a prepared statement, said both monuments, placed on capitol square nearly 100 years ago when the property was a county courthouse and owned by the state, needed to be removed because "it was time for a change."

“We’ve suffered for centuries with too many others telling our story for us as they see fit,” Hoskin said a news release. “It’s difficult to tell our story when we have non-Indian-driven monuments talking about the Confederacy, when they greet people as they come into our Cherokee Nation museum. It was time for a change.”

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/time-for-a-change-cherokee-nation-removes-monuments-dedicated-to-confederate-soldiers/article_901f5b5f-7bc8-5a51-9220-279a7046a5e2.html

moose65 (1,255 posts)
1. Wow!

The Daughters of the Confederacy strike again!

Response to moose65 (Reply #1)
Sat Jun 13, 2020, 04:11 PM
  Bradshaw3 (4,161 posts)
2. The so-called Five Civilized tribes were on the Confederate side

Some of the Choctaw and Cherokee owned slaves but not all of their leaders were happy about treaties signed with the Confederacy. Some fought in Indian Territory and some in other theaters. And, of course, the awful Daughters of the Confederacy used those ties to propogate the Lost Cause narrative through statues decades later.
Response to Bradshaw3 (Reply #2)
Sat Jun 13, 2020, 06:05 PM
Ex Lurker (3,197 posts)
4. General Stand Watie

Response to Bradshaw3 (Original post)
Sat Jun 13, 2020, 05:55 PM
tirebiter (1,318 posts)
3. Not that simple

The half breeds were slave owners as were the tribal leaders. The full bloods joined reluctantly. Then after the first battle most left and joined the Kansas all Indian Regiment and fought for the north. Slavery was the issue. Sam Watie was the first Brigadier General in the Confederate army.
The mixed breeds did include freemen, some of whom were slave owners. The full bloods took seriously the fact that the nation had sworn allegiance to the United Ststes of America. So, anyway, it was a bit complicated. The tribal leaders cut a deal with a Richmond because Richmond was willing to pay upfront for a deal. Near the end of the war the tribal leaders changed their minds and escaped to the north. They took with them a lot of Confederate cash which was by this time worthless. Bad decisions.

Response to tirebiter (Reply #3)
Sat Jun 13, 2020, 06:07 PM
Ex Lurker (3,197 posts)
5. H*** B**** is likecsaying the N word

Be better

Response to Ex Lurker (Reply #5)
Sat Jun 13, 2020, 07:05 PM
  Bradshaw3 (4,161 posts)
6. I agree n/t

Sat Jun 13, 2020, 07:08 PM
  Bradshaw3 (4,161 posts)
7. Some of that was covered in the article

Some of it is debatable. If you truly know the history then you should know that his name was Stand Watie, not Sam. Also, the term you used is racist.
Reply to this post
Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink
Sat Jun 13, 2020, 07:08 PM
BannonsLiver (8,799 posts)
8. Stand Watie not "Sam"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_Watie?wprov=sfti1

For further reading may I suggest: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/how-native-american-slaveholders-complicate-trail-tears-narrative-180968339/

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Mary Ann

Re: DU's Trail of Tears
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 01:28:07 PM »
Any chance there is a link to this? I would love to see it in its natural habitat.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 02:46:22 PM »
I found it interesting that a bastion of liberalism, the city of Seattle, is named after an Indian chief who owned slaves. Let’s see if the statue defacing idiots will try to get Seattle to change names. I’m guessing they won’t. Hypocrites!

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 03:52:29 PM »
I found it interesting that a bastion of liberalism, the city of Seattle, is named after an Indian chief who owned slaves. Let’s see if the statue defacing idiots will try to get Seattle to change names. I’m guessing they won’t. Hypocrites!

Thanks for this illumination; I checked it out, and it checks out.

Besides that the guy owned slaves, I think it's a case of cultural appropriation.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 05:29:09 PM »
Any chance there is a link to this? I would love to see it in its natural habitat.

Mea Culpa. 

Here ya go: https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213589345

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 06:30:01 AM »
I wonder how long it will be before the DUmmies discover articles detailing the Cherokees tossing blacks out of their tribe maybe a decade or so ago ? -the descendants of slaves...

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 10:08:59 AM »
Thanks for this illumination; I checked it out, and it checks out.

Besides that the guy owned slaves, I think it's a case of cultural appropriation.

yeah, it peaked my curiosity as well so I asked Mr Google and came up with this:

Chief Seattle (c. 1786 – June 7, 1866) was a Suquamish and Duwamish chief.[2] A leading figure among his people, he pursued a path of accommodation to white settlers, forming a personal relationship with "Doc" Maynard. The city of Seattle, in the U.S. state of Washington, was named after him. A widely publicized speech arguing in favor of ecological responsibility and respect of Native Americans' land rights had been attributed to him; however what he actually said has been lost through translation and rewriting.

The name Seattle is an Anglicization of the modern Duwamish conventional spelling Si'ahl, equivalent to the modern Lushootseed spelling siʔaɫ IPA: [ˈsiʔaːɬ]. He is also known as Sealth, Seattle, Seathl, or See-ahth.Seattle's mother Sholeetsa was Dkhw'Duw'Absh (Duwamish) and his father Shweabe was chief of the Dkhw'Suqw'Absh (the Suquamish tribe).[2] Seattle was born some time between 1780 and 1786 on the Black River near Kent, Washington. One source cites his mother's name as Wood-sho-lit-sa.[3] The Duwamish tradition is that Seattle was born at his mother's village of Stukw on the Black River, in what is now the city of Kent, Washington, and that Seattle grew up speaking both the Duwamish and Suquamish dialects of Lushootseed. Because Native descent among the Salish peoples was not solely patrilineal, Seattle inherited his position as chief of the Duwamish Tribe from his maternal uncle.[2]

Seattle earned his reputation at a young age as a leader and a warrior, ambushing and defeating groups of tribal enemy raiders coming up the Green River from the Cascade foothills. In 1847 he helped lead a Suquamish attack upon the Chimakum people near Port Townsend, which effectively wiped out the Chimakum.[4][5]

Like many of his contemporaries, he owned slaves captured during his raids.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Seattle

Great bit of info USA4ME.

Anyone have a mole you are willing to risk to "enlighten" the DUmp on this matter?

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 10:33:28 AM »
Disappointingly, the "slur" was removed. The actual thread would have been much more interesting if it had remained. And would have been much longer.