Author Topic: Thomas Kincade Dead (finally)  (Read 5970 times)

Offline Kimberly

Thomas Kincade Dead (finally)
« on: April 07, 2012, 11:13:55 AM »
Another grave dancing thread.

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 07:46 AM
 TalkingDog (6,420 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

Thomas Kincade Dead (finally)
California artist Thomas Kinkade, the "Painter of Light" whose brushwork paintings of idyllic landscapes, cottages and churches were big sellers for dealers across the country, died Friday, a family spokesman said.

Kinkade, 54, died at his home in Los Gatos in the Bay Area of what appeared to be natural causes, David Satterfield said.

Kinkade's sentimental paintings — with their cottages, country gardens and churches in dewy morning light — were beloved by middle-class America but generally dismissed by the art establishment.

The paintings typically depict tranquil scenes with lush landscaping and streams running nearby. Many contain images from Bible passages.

/snip

I generally hold my tongue when people I dislike fall ill or die. But today I will grant myself a one-time pass on decorum to dance on this huckster's hackneyed-ass, tired, trite, simplistic, saccharine grave.

He ran galleries into ruin with the contractual demands for being allowed to sell his work. He was a right wing shill and cared more about money than he ever cared about art.

He was an abusive, alcoholic asshole. And I hope that before the decade is out, everything he has ever touched in this world turns to absolute, irretrievable dust.

Offline ChuckJ

Re: Thomas Kincade Dead (finally)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:38:05 AM »
More love and compassion from the self-proclaimed party of love and compassion.

Thanks TalkingDog for once more showing America how nice you guys are.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:38:58 AM »
Another grave dancing thread.

Rich c*** Kathleen Peterson, who fancies herself an art expert because she encourages kids to become artists, says the following:

kpete
3. 2 words

thank you

peace, kpete

So, basically, unless you do art her way and become rich and famous her way, she will celebrate your death despite the protests of MANY DUMMIES.

Wow. Kathleen Peterson of a gated community in wealthy N. Poway, CA, who lives in the type of McMansion that usually displays Kinkade art, sure has her nose in the air. I wonder why she doesn't live where other hipper-than-thou art types live in San Diego: North Park, Talmadge, Hillcrest...hmmmmm.

What a scumbag she is. I wish her ill.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 11:45:08 AM »
Yeah...he is just as bad as that Piss Christ guy.  :whatever:

You people are jackals. 

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:56:32 AM »
It sounds to me like he is upset because kinkade was a right winger. That is reason enough to hate him I guess? What a douchebag.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 11:57:02 AM »
<shakes head> beautiful cottages and landscapes are considered junk, a Cross put into urine is considered art, go figure.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 11:58:05 AM »
Now I want to watch Bob Ross.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 12:02:35 PM »
Let me see, I just read the wiki on Thomas Kinklade (BTW, to the OP at DU, that's the correct spelling, well back to the wiki, what a "horrible person":

Charities and affiliations

Kinkade has supported non-profit organizations focusing on children, humanitarian relief, and the arts, including the Make-a-Wish Foundation, World Vision, Art for Children Charities, and The Salvation Army.[citation needed] He was a member of the Church of the Nazarene.[citation needed]

In 2002, he partnered with The Salvation Army to create two charity prints, The Season of Giving and The Light of Freedom. Proceeds from the sale of the prints were donated to The Salvation Army for their relief efforts at Ground Zero and to aid the victims of the September 11 attacks and their families in New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington D.C. More than $2 million was donated as a result of this affiliation. In 2003, Kinkade was chosen as a National Spokesman for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and during the 20 Years of Light Tour in 2004, he raised over $750,000 and granted 12 wishes for children with life-threatening medical conditions.[25]

In 2005, the Points of Light Foundation, a nonprofit organization dedicated to engaging more people more effectively in volunteer service to help solve serious social problems, named Kinkade as Ambassador of Light. He was the second person in the Foundation's 15-year history to be chosen as Ambassador, the first being the organization's founder, former U.S. President George H. W. Bush.[25] During his Ambassador of Light Tour, Kinkade visited cities nationwide to raise awareness and money for the Points of Light Foundation and the Volunteer Center National Network, which serves more than 360 Points of Light member Volunteer Centers in communities across the country.

Archbishop Mitty High School of San Jose dedicated their theater complex in his name due to various donations.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 12:04:40 PM »
That's just sad.  RIP to this man.  I am not familiar with his work, but they sound lovely just from the descriptions.  Why exactly are the DUmmies grave dancing?  Is it because they can't afford his art or because of the Bible passages?
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Ogre

• What Cat?
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 12:09:16 PM »
That's just sad.  RIP to this man.  I am not familiar with his work, but they sound lovely just from the descriptions.  Why exactly are the DUmmies grave dancing?  Is it because they can't afford his art or because of the Bible passages?

Probably both, the DUmmies are as ugly on the inside as they are on the outside.
"Don't argue about difficulties. The difficulties will argue for themselves."  - Winston Churchill

"Get some lumber, build a bridge, and get the hell over it" - Unknown

Offline Rufus2010

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 12:20:56 PM »
Stay classy, DUmmies.  :mental:

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »
Lemme guess, dismissed by the art establishment because you could actually understand what the **** you were looking at?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »
This is what apparently did not fit in with the artiste community...
and you can just see the conservatism dripping off the paintings...painting art and making a good living from it is what upsets the DUmmies. Why I'll bet he never even applied for govt grant money...the fiend!

He was a great artist, but somewhere along the line he let slip he voted for Reagan or something, and liberal galleries wouldn't display his paintings.

This is a guy who never made a speech, never embarrassed a liberal, He was just a [painter out to make a living...and DUmmie progressives leap for joy now that he's dead. This reveals a lot about the character of a liberal.

edit to add, I found these and a LOT more with a search on Bing images, thomas kincade paintings

Offline dixierose

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 01:29:35 PM »

Here's one of my favorites of his. I collect lighthouses, so I have a copy of this on hanging in my living room...

When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 01:39:01 PM »
Hi5 to Dixie for good taste.

Offline jukin

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »
What a truly pathetic bunch of assholes. Liberalism, mental disease proven again. The pure hate these people have for such minor items in their lives.  

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 01:44:33 PM »
I've never been a fan of his work, but it's not because I have good taste in art. I just don't like his style of work no matter who it is. Still, why on earth would you celebrate the man's death?

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 01:49:09 PM »
My wife's no fan of his, either, but she's not celebrating his demise.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 02:09:45 PM »
marions ghost
72. Someone who has his "art" in 1 in 20 households in America IS important

-- this is the death of one of the most brilliant socially-approved scam artists of our time.

You're off base here, MineralMan. Kinkade had his finger on the pulse of America. And he lined his pockets on the exploitation of the fact that most Americans will buy anything they think other people are buying, especially if it represents a vague notion of "security."

Kinkade sold" hope and inspiration"--not art. But the poor people who invested (one I read up to $80K) did not know that. They believed they were buying something of value.

This is an important story and it's totally appropriate to bring attention to scoundrels like Kinkade and Bernie Madoff.

Kind of like democrats.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 02:13:12 PM »
Response to MineralMan (Reply #84)Sat Apr 7, 2012, 11:43 AM
 marions ghost
102. Censorship is not OK either--

I don't celebrate Kinkade's death--you can never kill greed and avarice, so there's no reason to celebrate.
I don't see the negative reactions here as celebration. It's important to get to some truth about who he really was, instead of buying the pap & it's necessary to be negative to do that about Kinkade. It is time to judge him, not to nit pick about semantics.

The bigger picture: Someone who has had an impact on American life and culture in a big way has died. His legacy of unoriginal, falsely-represented paintings live on, to bear witness to the Kinkade phenomenon. A LOT of people don't like what he stood for and HOW he did what he did--the lies, the fraud in the name of "art" (and in the name of "Christianity" I might add--what he did was certainly not what I think of as Christian).

Kinkade's life and work was ugly and shameful.
Reply to this post
Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Oh the irony.  :whatever:

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »
Response to MineralMan (Reply #84)Sat Apr 7, 2012, 11:43 AM
 marions ghost
102. Censorship is not OK either--

I don't celebrate Kinkade's death--you can never kill greed and avarice, so there's no reason to celebrate.
I don't see the negative reactions here as celebration. It's important to get to some truth about who he really was, instead of buying the pap & it's necessary to be negative to do that about Kinkade. It is time to judge him, not to nit pick about semantics.

The bigger picture: Someone who has had an impact on American life and culture in a big way has died. His legacy of unoriginal, falsely-represented paintings live on, to bear witness to the Kinkade phenomenon. A LOT of people don't like what he stood for and HOW he did what he did--the lies, the fraud in the name of "art" (and in the name of "Christianity" I might add--what he did was certainly not what I think of as Christian).

Kinkade's life and work was ugly and shameful.
Reply to this post
Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

An opinion on what is not Christian from the DUmp?

The website who wants to steal money from those of us who earned it and give it to those too lazy to work.
The website who wants to be able to murder unborn babies at will.
The website who worships 0 and the government before God.
The website who has put out more fables (Bouncy Tales) than the brothers Grimm.
The website who covets anything that someone else has of value.
The website who treats any parent who is conservative like crap.
The website who will make a false accusation against a conservative at the drop of a hat.
The website who thinks church's should be silenced.
The website who thinks adultery is fine as long as it is a lib politician doing it.

Yeah, that's the place that should be telling people what is and is not Christian.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 04:13:01 PM »
I think his paintings were beautiful, especially the cottages, whenever I see them I think how beautiful it must be to live in 1.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 04:42:35 PM »

Its probably the churches - primitives hate anyone who performs or produces some sort of art (music, poetry, stage, screen, etc etc) who isn't firmly planted on the left almost as much as they hate Republican minorities.

RE Affordability: Kincade prints and lithos are a dime a dozen.  Even a primitive can scrape together enough Cheeto-stained money to purchase one.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 04:46:25 PM »
The paintings typically depict tranquil scenes with lush landscaping and streams running nearby. Many contain images from Bible passages.
I'm guessing this is a big source of irritation with the DUmmies. 
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 04:55:20 PM »
I'm guessing this is a big source of irritation with the DUmmies.

Most definitely.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site