Author Topic: not having a good week  (Read 6193 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
not having a good week
« on: June 18, 2009, 01:01:22 PM »
The new computer didn't start this morning.

There was a black screen, and along the bottom there was, in white lettering:

problem: load needed dlls for kernel.

I googled the problem.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/load-needed-dlls-for-kernel/133655.html

This is all fine and good, but the writer omitted the first step.

If all one has is the black screen and that white lettering on the bottom, how does one get into Windows XP?

Why is it such instructions always omit that all-important first step?

Damn it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

Re: not having a good week
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:07:33 PM »
Did you get an operating system disk with the computer?

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 01:08:09 PM »
Did you get an operating system disk with the computer?

Nope.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 02:19:12 PM »
Thundley, sound like a HD crash?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 02:21:16 PM »

[/quote]
Nope.

That's a  big problem as far as I know. I think you might need the disk to recover from this.

It kind of sounds like it, but I've had sort of the same problem with missing dll files and was able to use the repair option on the XP disk.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 03:28:25 PM »
Can you boot into safe mode?
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 03:38:22 PM »
Can you boot into safe mode?

How does one boot into the "safe mode"?

I know the "safe mode" is where details are blurry, and larger, but have no idea how one gets there.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 04:17:49 PM »
How does one boot into the "safe mode"?

I know the "safe mode" is where details are blurry, and larger, but have no idea how one gets there.

Turn on the PC and push 'F8' repeatedly.

Then it will give you options (if you can get anything to load).

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 04:23:59 PM »

That's a  big problem as far as I know. I think you might need the disk to recover from this.

It kind of sounds like it, but I've had sort of the same problem with missing dll files and was able to use the repair option on the XP disk.

I think the big problem is why DLL files (kernel) are missing.

I've been running the same copy of XP for years, and never had this problem, but I sure did with Win 98.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 04:26:45 PM »
Turn on the PC and push 'F8' repeatedly.

Then it will give you options (if you can get anything to load).

KC

I think I had that problem before on my Tandy 25mhz Win 3.1 machine... safe Mode usually works. The HD was only 200 MB or so and kept having sectors go bad. I definitely needed a new computer.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 04:31:36 PM »
One thing you can do once you get into safe mode Frank, is look on the HD and see if someone made a copy of the CD. You can then use it to do the repair work.

In all honesty, I'd wipe the HD and reinstall XP.
One thing I'd also do is see if the motherboard has an option for monitoring the CPU temp, you might have a problem there.
Sounds like you're gettting the "fatal exceptions" (have you seen a "blue screen of death"?) stuff from a over-heated CPU................maybe.
One other problem could be a failing video card, I've seen them cause the same issues.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 06:26:02 PM »
One thing you can do once you get into safe mode Frank, is look on the HD and see if someone made a copy of the CD. You can then use it to do the repair work.

In all honesty, I'd wipe the HD and reinstall XP.
One thing I'd also do is see if the motherboard has an option for monitoring the CPU temp, you might have a problem there.
Sounds like you're gettting the "fatal exceptions" (have you seen a "blue screen of death"?) stuff from a over-heated CPU................maybe.
One other problem could be a failing video card, I've seen them cause the same issues.

No, I'm familiar with the blue screen of death; used to get it once in a while on another computer, about three computers ago.

No blue screen of death ever showed up at this computer, though; no warning at all.

I just turned it on this morning, after a violently lightning-ridden storm, the worst to hit this area in decades, and got that black screen with the text in white at the bottom.

I'm assuming then the computer is dead, and have already sent out messages I'm looking for a new used computer.

It's a learning experience; now I know to ask for an operating systems disc the next time I latch my hands on a new used computer.

One thing at a time, one learns.
apres moi, le deluge

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 06:35:45 PM »
was the computer off and unplugged during this storm?

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 06:37:03 PM »
was the computer off and unplugged during this storm?

Everything was shut off, but not unplugged.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 11:49:05 AM »
If the computer was off, it seems to me that it's more of a sign that it was either shut off improperly (by turning it off with the switch or a power failure) or there's a corrupt file somewhere in the loading sequence. Corrupt files can be caused by many things.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 11:52:11 AM »
I just turned it on this morning, after a violently lightning-ridden storm, the worst to hit this area in decades, and got that black screen with the text in white at the bottom.

I'm assuming then the computer is dead, and have already sent out messages I'm looking for a new used computer.

I failed to catch that. Yup, I'll bet the MB/comp is dead.

I wish I lived near you, I could build you a kick-ass comp for around $500, maybe less.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 02:42:33 PM »
Everything was shut off, but not unplugged.

Lightening hitting the lines can fry circuits on an off computer even over a phone cord.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 03:32:04 PM »
If the computer was off, it seems to me that it's more of a sign that it was either shut off improperly (by turning it off with the switch or a power failure) or there's a corrupt file somewhere in the loading sequence. Corrupt files can be caused by many things.

A top-notch computer expert in Omaha says it sounds as if it were caused by a "poor installation" of Windows XP, when that was put in.

He suggests I forget all about it, mostly because distance is a factor, the main factor, involved here, and just to get another used tower and hard-drive.  He knows my attitude; it's a crap game when one gets used stuff, in which sometimes one wins, sometimes one loses, and one accepts both wins and losses without getting all agog and excited about them.

It's a learning experience, and fortunately not a too-expensive learning experience; I guess what I learned from this was that when one gets a used computer, get it with one of those "start-up" (or "operating systems") discs.

Of course for years I had been aware of the need for a "start up" disc, but on the other hand, I never had to use one, and so never bothered.

I am assuming a "start up" disc and "operating systems" disc are the same thing.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 04:27:34 PM »
FGL, true. It CAN happen, but it's more likely that it will just damage the peripheral or card. Had that happen before, back before my Cable/DSL days.

Frank, if you want, I can repair that machine for you. Of course, shipping isn't exactly cheap for a PC.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson