Author Topic: computer viruses, getting rid of  (Read 3222 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
computer viruses, getting rid of
« on: March 28, 2009, 04:57:26 PM »
The computer tower and hard-drive from the nephew, for which I've been waiting all winter long, is now in a small town 110 miles away from me, a damned sight closer than it's ever been.  I think I'm going out there to get it in about a week or ten days, but we'll see.

No more library surplus computer.  Yay.

And I can finally connect the printer/scanner/copier.

Anyway.

As soon as I get this one, I'll send its specifications to Thor, who some months ago kindly directed me to a web-site that "analyzes" a computer, in hopes that Thor can tell me what I can do with it.

Anyway again.

Last night, I was reading the afternoon newspaper, and came upon a syndicated column, "Computer Central," written by James Derk.

The topic was about getting rid of computer viruses.

As most know, my former computer was attacked by a virus, VIRUS RESEARCH LAB 2007, and because it was getting pretty old anyway--although still in excellent working order--and because I had nothing of value "stored" on it, and because it had cost a whole $100 four years previously, I had simply destroyed the tower and hard-drive, took it apart and smashed it to pieces.

Now, according to this James Derk guy, the solution was simple.

I don't believe it.

He says that in the case of this sort of virus, looking into "Add/Remove" does nothing.  I already knew this one part, because I recall getting confused I couldn't find the damned thing in all the folders I checked.

He says however that if one hits "Contr/Alt/Delete," this calls up the Windows Task Manager, where one can "kill" the virus.

I'm aware of the Window Task Manager, but have never used it.  How come a virus is in there, and not in the Windows folders?  It never occurred to me that a virus would go anywhere but into a regular folder in Windows.  Do viruses secrete themselves anywhere else in a computer?

The columnist also helpfully suggests ".....or Alt/F4."

Whoop-whoop-de-do.

This is like getting an unassembled nuclear reactor in the mail, with instructions for assembly, which merely state "open the box," and nothing else.

Any illumination of any nature would be appreciated here, so as to prevent problems in the future.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline MrsSmith

Re: computer viruses, getting rid of
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 05:04:29 PM »
If you start TaskMaster, you can stop a process through it...but you'd have to know which process is the virus.  I'm not sure how helpful that will be unless you make a habit of scrolling through the processes every few days, so you can quickly spot a new one...   :???:

I generally prefer using programs from microsoft...like the Malicious Software one, and Windows Defender.  I also run the anti-spyware scan from Yahoo frequently. 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 01:38:01 AM »
Bear in mind that most if not all viruses run as hidden processes, and won't appear in the regular taskmanager.

One can download a program from microsoft Process explorerhat shows a true list of programs running.

There is also Anti-Spy.info which does the above and provides a danger rating for a process.

Be advised that just because a process is flagged as dangerous it doesn't mean it is not required by the system. Check with someone or google the process name before removing things.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 12:32:41 PM »
1. Get AVG (free edition)

2. Do periodic scans here: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 10:45:25 PM »
1. Get AVG (free edition)

2. Do periodic scans here: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

+11111111111111111111111111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline MASHLover

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 02:19:44 AM »
If you start TaskMaster, you can stop a process through it...but you'd have to know which process is the virus.  I'm not sure how helpful that will be unless you make a habit of scrolling through the processes every few days, so you can quickly spot a new one...   :???:

I generally prefer using programs from microsoft...like the Malicious Software one, and Windows Defender.  I also run the anti-spyware scan from Yahoo frequently. 

I do on every machine I touch daily.  If I get a call that means something is not right so i always check msconfig to see what is runing and ctrl alt del to see how many proccesses are running,  I can pick several by their file names.  Once your familliar with what SHOULD be there what is there as extra draws attention.
formerly Striker

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 10:05:58 AM »
Now that more virisus are showing up on the mac, I need to do that more often.

I just looked at my process list.  There is one with a user of "nobody."   is that a hazard?   
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!