Author Topic: Joe941 What law would have stopped even half of the last 10 mass shootings?  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212358913

Joe941
What law would have stopped even half of the last 10 mass shootings?

We can propose this and that but short of banning guns and having people turn them in would any of these proposals really make a difference. It seems to me that only riding society of these guns will mass shootings start to decrease. I'm open to hear what specific laws would have stopped any of the last 10 mass shootings though.

Someone is getting it ... kinda.

Eliot Rosewater
1. That is the only way, of course.
Common sense that the rest of the planet has figured out.

hlthe2b
5. Posts like this make me crazy. Try researching what has happened with the rest of the world
when guns were controlled. New Zealand addressed this within 9 days of their massacre. Yet, we view non-fetal life as dispensable and thus the price of ensuring obsessive gun rights over all others.

The Velveteen Ocelot
6. A "red flag" law might have stopped the Parkland shooter, who had
a long history of psychiatric problems and threatening behavior, of which law enforcement was aware but claimed to be unable to do anything about.

Oooops!  Did one just wander away from the new liberal talking point that it is NOT mental illness??

I think this fire may grow, but we’ll see.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

Someone is getting it ... kinda.

Except he seems to think criminals would turn in their guns.

The Velveteen Ocelot is close to dangerous territory, except a "Red Flag" law would not have been necessary to avert Parkland - or Dayton. Simply enforcing existing laws would have given both criminal and/or mental health records that would have prevented them from purchasing guns at gun stores legally.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 01:07:39 AM »
Joe941 (1,573 posts)

We can propose this and that but short of banning guns and having people turn them in would any of these proposals really make a difference. It seems to me that only riding society of these guns will mass shootings start to decrease. I'm open to hear what specific laws would have stopped any of the last 10 mass shootings though.

I'm gonna take a guess before I even look at the DUmp replies:

1. Ban Guns.
2. Ban FOX News.
3. Ban the Republican Party.
4. Ban Talk Radio.
5. Ban Free Speech.

Star Member Eliot Rosewater (21,511 posts)

1. That is the only way, of course.

Common sense that the rest of the planet has figured out.

1. Ban Guns.

Star Member marble falls (24,216 posts)

2. Making all long rifles illegal. Australia did a few years back and they are OFF the streets.

... so... only pistols then?

Star Member Eliot Rosewater (21,511 posts)

4. And we have as much chance of doing that as we do banning all guns.

This country allowed an INSANE lie go on for too long.

The 2nd of course allows for NO gun ownership AT ALL outside of WELL REGULATED LOCKED UP AT NIGHT MILITIAS.

But, you know the history, now we have more guns than people. Country will not survive rump, bannon, putin and guns.

I wish it could, but it cant.

Militia members during the pre-revolution supplied their own guns, ****stick.

Star Member exboyfil (11,595 posts)

10. Semiautomatic handguns are nearly as dangerous

This was the weapon used by the Virginia Tech massacre. I have less of a problem with a bolt action or lever action rifle than a semiautomatic handgun with 15 rounds or even more capacity.

... so... only single action revolvers then?

Star Member The Velveteen Ocelot (73,561 posts)

a long history of psychiatric problems and threatening behavior, of which law enforcement was aware but claimed to be unable to do anything about.

it's unconstitutional to take a person's rights away without trial...

Joe941 (1,573 posts)

13. Confiscate existing magazines? I say that would need to be part of it.

:whatever:

Star Member Sancho (7,507 posts)

15. People Control, Not Gun Control

This is my generic response to gun threads where people are shot and killed by the dumb or criminal possession of guns. For the record, I grew up in the South and on military bases. I was taught about firearms as a child, and I grew up hunting, was a member of the NRA, and I still own guns. In the 70’s, I dropped out of the NRA because they become more radical and less interested in safety and training. Some personal experiences where people I know were involved in shootings caused me to realize that anyone could obtain and posses a gun no matter how illogical it was for them to have a gun. Also, easy access to more powerful guns, guns in the hands of children, and guns that weren’t secured are out of control in our society. As such, here’s what I now think ought to be the requirements to possess a gun. I’m not debating the legal language, I just think it’s the reasonable way to stop the shootings. Notice, none of this restricts the type of guns sold. This is aimed at the people who shoot others, because it’s clear that they should never have had a gun.

1.) Anyone in possession of a gun (whether they own it or not) should have a regularly renewed license. If you want to call it a permit, certificate, or something else that's fine.
2.) To get a license, you should have a background check, and be examined by a professional for emotional and mental stability appropriate for gun possession. It might be appropriate to require that examination to be accompanied by references from family, friends, employers, etc. This check is not to subject you to a mental health diagnosis, just check on your superficial and apparent gun-worthyness.
3.) To get the license, you should be required to take a safety course and pass a test appropriate to the type of gun you want to use.
4.) To get a license, you should be over 21. Under 21, you could only use a gun under direct supervision of a licensed person and after obtaining a learner’s license. Your license might be restricted if you have children or criminals or other unsafe people living in your home. (If you want to argue 18 or 25 or some other age, fine. 21 makes sense to me.)
5.) If you possess a gun, you would have to carry a liability insurance policy specifically for gun ownership - and likely you would have to provide proof of appropriate storage, security, and whatever statistical reasons that emerge that would drive the costs and ability to get insurance.
6.) You could not purchase a gun or ammunition without a license, and purchases would have a waiting period.
7.) If you possess a gun without a license, you go to jail, the gun is impounded, and a judge will have to let you go (just like a DUI).
8.) No one should carry an unsecured gun (except in a locked case, unloaded) when outside of home. Guns should be secure when transporting to a shooting event without demonstrating a special need. Their license should indicate training and special carry circumstances beyond recreational shooting (security guard, etc.). If you are carrying your gun while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you lose your gun and license.
9.) If you buy, sell, give away, or inherit a gun, your license information should be recorded.
10.) If you accidentally discharge your gun, commit a crime, get referred by a mental health professional, are served a restraining order, etc., you should lose your license and guns until reinstated by a serious relicensing process.

Most of you know that a license is no big deal. Besides a driver’s license you need a license to fish, operate a boat, or many other activities. I realize these differ by state, but that is not a reason to let anyone without a bit of sense pack a semiautomatic weapon in public, on the roads, and in schools. I think we need to make it much harder for some people to have guns.

:rotf:

Star Member Stinky The Clown (60,697 posts)

29. The law that bans guns. The law that orders them melted.

:bird:

customerserviceguy (21,443 posts)

40. It should work as well as the laws that ban heroin.

:lmao:

Star Member mr_lebowski (9,227 posts)

31. Given how often we're seeing these crimes committed by young people, I think a Fed Ban on

selling weapons of significant killing power to people under, say 25 ... is something that could PRACTICALLY be implemented. Allow only sales of true hunting-type rifles with no more than 5 shot capacity even POSSIBLE with the weapon. No handguns, no magazine-loaded weapons.

A lot of older folks can be easily convinced to fear young people in general, and take away privileges (like drinking til you're 21, higher ins. rates til 25) ... this is something we could maybe actually pull off.

A lot of them were under 25, and a lot of them bought the guns legally, so YES this would've potentially prevented a BUNCH of recent mass shootings ... unless you just assume everyone knows how to acquire black-market guns.

I sure as hell don't ... do you? I suspect a great majority of people have no clue.

Most of the shooters don't seem like they were deeply ensconced in criminal culture, so ... I bet they wouldn't have been able to get them.

::)

ConnorMarc (567 posts)

36. Many of the laws that other posters have already shared

If it saves just ONE life...it's worth it.

That said, it's a pipe dream to think that all guns will ever be banned.

Americans are nothing, if a not a fearful people, their guns give them comfort, that's why they wrote it into their Constitution.

so, about abortion...

Star Member still_one (64,112 posts)

37. I am really sick and tired of that f**king sorry ass excuse how it would not have stopped anything

BULLSHIT!!!

In 1994 Dianne Feinstein wrote the federal law that banned so-called assault weapons for 10 years.

Data compiled by author Louis Klarevas, found that gun massacres dropped by 37 percent during the decade the law was in place.

Of course the other side will come back, and try to show the statistics are inconclusive.

We don't need to encourage mass capacity assault weapons on our public streets by civilians.

The other argument I hear is that people use it for legitimate purposes, for hunting or target practice.

Gee, I wonder how they used to hunt in the sixties without those multiple capacity assault weapons.

While background checks, and other safeguards are necessary to prevent such weapons from getting into the wrong hands, making them illegal is a deterrent to them being used.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article233541717.html

Keep playing logic game, but don't forget you thoughts and prayers for the victims, because one thing we know for sure, people having mass capacity magazine weapons have one purpose, and that is to kill people, and I am really tired of the crocodile tears from those who throw their arms up and say nothing can be done, in spite of the fact that it WAS DONE ONCE, so it CAN BE DONE!!!

Star Member Ligyron (4,613 posts)

47. What exactly is a "so-called assault" weapon?

I mean, is it the black or camo color or does it have to have appeared a certain number of times in so-called Rambo style movies?

If it's capable of semi-automatic fire it doesn't really matter what it looks like.

Does it?

Star Member uponit7771 (57,336 posts)

48. Really !? This tired terminology deflection ?!

Left: BAN ASSAULT WEAPONS!!!
Right: It's not really an assault weapon.
Left: You KNOW what I mean! BAN The Scary looking ones!
Right:  :whatever:
Left: Really !? This tired terminology deflection ?!

:whatever:

Star Member hunter (29,986 posts)

45. Make it a felony for anyone with testicles to own or handle guns.

Give every male gun owner a choice: Keep your balls or keep your guns... you can't have both.

:thatsright:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline freedumb2003b

Not fascist at all:

hunter (29,986 posts)

Give every male gun owner a choice: Keep your balls or keep your guns... you can't have both.

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Re: What law would have stopped even half of the last 10 mass shootings?
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 01:33:15 AM »
ConnorMarc (567 posts)

36. Many of the laws that other posters have already shared

If it saves just ONE life...it's worth it.

That said, it's a pipe dream to think that all guns will ever be banned.

Americans are nothing, if a not a fearful people, their guns give them comfort, that's why they wrote it into their Constitution.

"A fearful people," huh?

100 million of us are ARMED and know how to use those arms. What the **** do we have to be afraid of?

YOU???   :rofl: :popcorn: :rotf:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 01:48:17 AM »
"A fearful people," huh?

100 million of us are ARMED and know how to use those arms. What the **** do we have to be afraid of?

YOU???   :rofl: :popcorn: :rotf:

We just cling to our Guns, God, and Religion...
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 01:52:23 AM »

We just cling to our Guns, God, and Religion...

I keep my grip pretty "gentle", actually. It maximizes my flexibility...  :cheersmate:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline SVPete

Star Moron Eliot Rosewater (21,511 posts)

4. And we have as much chance of doing that as we do banning all guns.

This country allowed an INSANE lie go on for too long.

The 2nd of course allows for NO gun ownership AT ALL outside of WELL REGULATED LOCKED UP AT NIGHT MILITIAS.

The USSC decided that the phrase "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" means:

1. It is a right of the people, not of government;

2. The people may keep and bear the arms in and about their homes without storing them in a government armory

3. "Shall not be infringed" forbids significant impediments in forms such as restrictions or fees.

Star Moron marble falls (24,216 posts)

2. Making all long rifles illegal.

Star Moron marble falls seems unaware that most mass shootings are done using pistols. That said, great! All you have to do is repeal the 2nd Amendment.

Star Member The Velveteen Ocelot (73,561 posts)

Close, but this isn't horse shoes. Had the Parkland schools and police simply applied existing laws, the shooter would have had a criminal and/or mental health record that would have prevented him from buying a gun at a gun store. The same, IMO, is true of the Dayton shooter.

Joe941 (1,573 posts)

13. Confiscate existing magazines? I say that would need to be part of it.

This would violate the 2nd Amendment by significantly impeding the right to bear many models of arms in common use.

Star Moron Stinky The Clown (60,697 posts)

29. The law that bans guns. The law that orders them melted.

Great, Stinker, just repeal the 2nd Amendment. BTW, what kind of weed do you smoke to believe that criminals would turn in their guns? Especially after the government just disarmed a bunch of targets?

hunter (29,986 posts)

Great! Just repeal the Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment. :rotf: How did this misandrist fool get the stupid idea that only males commit murder with guns? :rotf:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:37:22 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Except he seems to think criminals would turn in their guns.

The Velveteen Ocelot is close to dangerous territory, except a "Red Flag" law would not have been necessary to avert Parkland - or Dayton. Simply enforcing existing laws would have given both criminal and/or mental health records that would have prevented them from purchasing guns at gun stores legally.

Due to HIPAA and other laws, there is no way to check on anyone's mental status unless a court has actually adjudicated them insane (A legal, not a medical, term) or incompetent in a criminal insanity defense case or an involuntary committal (Both of which are extremely rare).  This is why cops say they can't do anything.  The society at large is so heavily medicated with psycho-active meds from the time they're fidgety ten-year-olds to old age, and so jealously guards any 'Adverse personal information,' that there isn't really a definable standard up to the point of formal court adjudication.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."

This is my generic response to gun threads where people are shot and killed by the dumb or criminal possession of guns.
<bunch of stupid, unconstitutional items>

Most of you know that a license is no big deal. Besides a driver’s license you need a license to fish, operate a boat, or many other activities. I realize these differ by state, but that is not a reason to let anyone without a bit of sense pack a semiautomatic weapon in public, on the roads, and in schools. I think we need to make it much harder for some people to have guns.

But having a voter ID or proof of ID in order to vote using the same logic (no big deal, need a license to fish, etc.) is a hurdle minorities, old people and women cannot overcome.  ::)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:46:49 AM by FiddyBeowulf »
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline SVPete

Due to HIPAA and other laws, there is no way to check on anyone's mental status unless a court has actually adjudicated them insane (A legal, not a medical, term) or incompetent in a criminal insanity defense case or an involuntary committal (Both of which are extremely rare).  This is why cops say they can't do anything.  The society at large is so heavily medicated with psycho-active meds from the time they're fidgety ten-year-olds to old age, and so jealously guards any 'Adverse personal information,' that there isn't really a definable standard up to the point of formal court adjudication.

I'm aware that there is a formal process on the mental health side. Omitting that was for simplification. But neither the school nor the police took the steps that would lead to such a proceeding, despite ample justification (and there's politics behind declining to do that, simplification again).

Offline SVPete

Most of you know that a license is no big deal. Besides a driver’s license you need a license to fish, operate a boat, or many other activities.

Fishing and driving are not Constitutionally guaranteed rights. Placing significant restrictions - e.g. an expensive license - on gun ownership and use violates the 2nd Amendment. Requiring a license could also be a violation of the Federal law that forbids gun registration; registration by another name is a sham that would violate that law.