Author Topic: Hello from the Missouri Ozarks...  (Read 5459 times)

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
Hello from the Missouri Ozarks...
« on: May 21, 2011, 10:33:04 AM »
Been on boards for a very long time. Actually I prefer the vBulletin software...but be that as it may...

Retired from the Dept of Defense as a civilian. A veteran of the USAF and the Army. Did my time in SEA - Laos, Class of '59.

Current skills include watching FNC, mowing the lawn, and still trying to teach my wife of over thirty years how to cook! Any SUV nuts out there? More info at our http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/ home page.

Moving on.....
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: Hello from the Missouri Ozarks...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:48:01 AM »
Greetings marv, also from the Missouri Ozarks.  :-)

I think us Missouri folk are catching up with all of you Texas folk on here.  :tongue:

How did you find Conservative Cave?

Online Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 11:49:51 AM »
Greetings marv, also from the Missouri Ozarks.  :-)

I think us Missouri folk are catching up with all of you Texas folk on here.  :tongue:

How did you find Conservative Cave?

What about those of us who were born in Missouri, realized it was the wrong state and adopted Texas?

:whistling:

Welcome marv.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 12:07:12 PM »
What about those of us who were born in Missouri, realized it was the wrong state and adopted Texas?

:whistling:

Welcome marv.

KC

Good riddance?  :tongue:  

I can't say much, since I've never been to Texas.  I plan to rectify that in the coming year, on my way out to visit some folks in AZ.

Online Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »
Good riddance?  :tongue:  

I can't say much, since I've never been to Texas.  I plan to rectify that in the coming year, on my way out to visit some folks in AZ.

Well, if you stay way up there in the pan handle don't make up your mind based on what you see. 

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 12:35:47 PM »
Well, if you stay way up there in the pan handle don't make up your mind based on what you see. 

KC

I don't have the return trip all planned out yet, but I'd like to take a different way back, and running I-10 into LA has been brought up, time allowing.

Online Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 01:20:42 PM »
I don't have the return trip all planned out yet, but I'd like to take a different way back, and running I-10 into LA has been brought up, time allowing.

If you bring I-10 all the way across Texas you get a pretty good taste of what Texas is all about.  In El Paso you have desert and mountains, then you move into the plains and prairies with mesas, then on to the Hill Country, then to the bayou's and finally the east Texas Piney Woods.

Lots of folks don't realize we have actual mountains in Texas but those mountains south east of El Paso are north of 6,000 feet.  I think they qualify.

Enjoy your trip.  Let me know if you make it to south east Texas!

KC

*Stolen

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 02:08:49 PM »
I spent a good amount of time in Texas at Lackland AFB in the 50s and 60s. Only back to Houston and Ft. Worth on some business trips since. Nice countr...er...state, except it's a little too warm for this guy born in northern Iowa - Sioux City. So I love the snow.

But I did grow up in the crime capitol of the forties, Kansas City. Don't get me started on the Mafia, Democrat political machines, organized crime, or the rest of that crap. GOOGLE up Charles Binaggio or Charles Gargotta, or Tom Pendergast.

Hey, BattleHymn, where 'bouts in the Ozarks are ya from? I'm down here in unincorporated Shell Knob, south of Springfield, west of Branson, and east of Cassville, the closest town with sidewalks!
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 02:43:35 PM »

Marv,

I'm in Springfield, but spend my (not so long ago) younger years just NW of Springfield, and the Mountain Grove/Mansfield area, and some dump down in Florida called St. Petersburg.   :-) 

I've been through Shell Knob more than once.  It is a pretty area down there.  If I have to go to Arkansas for anything, I try to take 39 if I have the time, since it is a lot more scenic (and calmer) than using the roller coaster called 65. 

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 04:02:21 PM »
Hiya Marv!  Mom's side from Osceola, Dad's from Chilicothe, and here I am in Texas!  USAF brat.  Welcome!   :cheersmate:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 04:17:53 PM »
Welcome, marv, from another one who fell into Missouri. We're up in the north-central part, north of Columbia/Jeff City.  :cheersmate:

We'll eventually wind up back in Tennessee, but I ain't from there either.

You don't wanna know where I grew up, trust me.  :-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 05:59:24 PM »
I forgot to explain that I'm a conservative, pro-life, Republican, atheist! I hope that doesn't offend anybody.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 07:29:42 PM »
I forgot to explain that I'm a conservative, pro-life, Republican, atheist! I hope that doesn't offend anybody.

Nope.  I think you will fit in just fine.   :-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 01:37:30 AM »
Welcome Marv. I'm Chitownchica. My sister worked at Kanakuk back in the 90s (actually I think the girls' camp is Kanakomo).  I think that's pretty close to you.  I live in Chicago, but both sides of my family are from Arkansas (mainly Russellville, Havana, and Mena).  Those aren't exactly in your neighborhood, but not too far.  It's really beautiful where you are.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 08:56:34 AM »
Welcome Marv. I'm Chitownchica. My sister worked at Kanakuk back in the 90s (actually I think the girls' camp is Kanakomo).  I think that's pretty close to you.  I live in Chicago, but both sides of my family are from Arkansas (mainly Russellville, Havana, and Mena).  Those aren't exactly in your neighborhood, but not too far.  It's really beautiful where you are.
Back in the sixties, I worked down in the Loop in the old Insurance Exchange building. Lived in Elk Grove Village and commuted on the Milwaukee.

It's a small, small world.

Online Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 09:31:49 AM »
I spent a good amount of time in Texas at Lackland AFB in the 50s and 60s. Only back to Houston and Ft. Worth on some business trips since. Nice countr...er...state, except it's a little too warm for this guy born in northern Iowa - Sioux City. So I love the snow.

But I did grow up in the crime capitol of the forties, Kansas City. Don't get me started on the Mafia, Democrat political machines, organized crime, or the rest of that crap. GOOGLE up Charles Binaggio or Charles Gargotta, or Tom Pendergast.

Hey, BattleHymn, where 'bouts in the Ozarks are ya from? I'm down here in unincorporated Shell Knob, south of Springfield, west of Branson, and east of Cassville, the closest town with sidewalks!

I just rode my motorcycle through Shell Knob last week.  My folks and one of my brothers live in Crane, another brother is in Nixa, another in Republic and finally one in New Madry.

KC

*Stolen

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 11:04:33 AM »
I just rode my motorcycle through Shell Knob last week.  My folks and one of my brothers live in Crane, another brother is in Nixa, another in Republic and finally one in New Madry.

KC
Went to town yesterday to grocery shop. There were several dozen bikers in the grocery store parking lot. Tex, do you know if they might have been part of the veteran's celebration of Armed Forces Day?

BTW, to all veterans, Branson has a really big turnout for all veterans for Memorial Day and for Armistice Day (Yah! I'm that old!). Click here at Branson Veteran's Center for the 2011 schedules and calendar.

And no, I don't belong to the Branson CofC. But I'm a USAF vet and I saw Col. Tibbits, then General, the year befoe he passed away at a book signing in Branson.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 02:04:02 PM »
Back in the sixties, I worked down in the Loop in the old Insurance Exchange building. Lived in Elk Grove Village and commuted on the Milwaukee.

It's a small, small world.

Sure is :).  I grew up in Texas and saw that you were at Lackland.

Again welcome! See you on the board  :cheersmate:

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 04:04:24 PM »
Welcome to CC!

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 09:56:56 PM »

Hi, Marv, had to give you the first hi5 (and gave one to all the folks either in Missouri or with Missouri ties). You can take the woman out of St Louis, but can't take St Louie out of me.  :-)

Hope everyone in SW Mo is safe, just saw what happened in Joplin. I'm worried about the monster going through the St Louis area. My son with the little toddler and baby live in a house w/o a basement and large trees all around, has me scared to death.

Take care, everyone out there where the storms are hitting tonight.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 08:23:48 AM »
Hope everyone in SW Mo is safe, just saw what happened in Joplin.
Hi there SLW. Where's the other half?

On the local news, the fatalities are expected to go above 100 in the Joplin/Carthage area. I had my scare last night driving home on US39. Got hit with some estimated 60mph straight line wind. That was about the time the tornadoes hit. Reports are still being updated, but I think St. Louis is safe.

Ahhhh, more rain this afternoon predicted!

Online Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 08:45:13 AM »
Went to town yesterday to grocery shop. There were several dozen bikers in the grocery store parking lot. Tex, do you know if they might have been part of the veteran's celebration of Armed Forces Day?

Sorry marv.  I don't have any idea who they may or may not be.  While I was up in your area it was briefly.  I'm back in Texas now.

I hope all y'all up in MO are safe!  I just called my folks and thankfully they are fine and so are all my brothers and their families.

KC

*Stolen

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 10:35:46 AM »
Welcome!!!

Stay safe out there....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 09:23:13 AM »
Hello Marv, I suck at reading the Welcome forum as you probably guessed.  Also in the Ozarks, over in Texas County, MO.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline namvet

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 03:40:51 PM »
Marv and I are on another forum. welcome pal. oh im one of those mo guys to

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY