Author Topic: Police responding to multiple shooting at Navy Yard  (Read 11152 times)

Offline thundley4

Re: Police responding to multiple shooting at Navy Yard
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2013, 09:10:21 AM »
Would someone explain why the killer and other employees like him aren't put through tighter screenings when entering the complex?  Just show his badge and stroll in without passing through a metal detector or having his bags searched?

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2013, 09:19:54 AM »
Would someone explain why the killer and other employees like him aren't put through tighter screenings when entering the complex?  Just show his badge and stroll in without passing through a metal detector or having his bags searched?

Because, for all intents and purposes, DoD as a whole puts rent-a-cops on gate duty.  In reality though, this guy probably badged through an electronically-controlled turnstyle and never disturbed the somnolence of the guard at that gate.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline thundley4

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2013, 10:37:04 AM »
Because, for all intents and purposes, DoD as a whole puts rent-a-cops on gate duty.  In reality though, this guy probably badged through an electronically-controlled turnstyle and never disturbed the somnolence of the guard at that gate.

That's my point. Lax security seems to be a major issue.  At the S8G training facility in Ballston Spa, we had to go through a metal detector and all bags were scanned.  That was for everyone, students and the trainers, both civilian and military. I think everyone there had passed a background check, too.

That was pre 911.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »
Because, for all intents and purposes, DoD as a whole puts rent-a-cops on gate duty.  In reality though, this guy probably badged through an electronically-controlled turnstyle and never disturbed the somnolence of the guard at that gate.

I would think any military related installation would be heavily secured period. No matter what. People would have to go through multiple security levels. Since, this is the military, I would expect all soldiers would carry guns and military bases would not be gun free. I know that changed under Clinton.

Getting a security clearance would be very difficult and anyone with an arrest would have a harder time or not even get it, like Aaron Alexis. I know he does not have a criminal record despite being arrest a couple of times. I have to wonder how Alexis got the security clearance.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:44:19 AM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2013, 10:56:51 AM »
I would think any military related installation would be heavily secured period. People would have to go through multiple security levels.

I would think getting a security clearance would be very difficult and anyone with an arrest would not get it, like Aaron Alexis. I know he does not have a criminal record despite being arrest a couple of times.

Have yourself another think, Ptarmy. :cheersmate:

When I worked for the Naval Shipyard, so long as I had my badge out and displayed properly, and I looked like I knew where I was and what I was doing, I could get just about anywhere on base. Heck, even earlier than that, when I was but a wee pizza delivery lad, I was only one gate away from the actual ballistic missile subs at the Bangor Submarine Base most of the time. Were I of nefarious character :whistling: I could have taken advantage of the security situation in any number of ways, and I would have been far too deep inside the perimeter to have been stopped in any kind of timely manner. 

This is not to say that the security folks aren't on top of things: while I was at the shipyard, they disappeared at least one scuba diver a month into the bowels of NID for being caught inside the security perimeter (usually with a camera, and usually just after a major combatant had come in for a refit) as one example where they were on top of things.  All I'm saying is that most CONUS military bases are far to big an area for the security force regularly and normally employed on those bases to do anything but respond after the fact.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Dori

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2013, 11:27:02 AM »
Sounds like there was a breakdown all the way through.  The shooter has recently been treated for PTSD, paranoia, hearing things and he was a heavy drinker.  He had recently become a Buddhist and his friends were from Thailand.  No American friends.  He was also addicted to video war games.

His MO is starting to have a lot of similarities to all the other recent wacked out mass murderers.

How he was able to get the security clearance he had is a mystery.   
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2013, 12:58:19 PM »

That and the fact the shooter is black.  Like with Nidal...there is a fear of raising any red flags against anyone of color for fear of being branded a racist and having your career ended by a baseless EO complaint.

The current culture of "equality" and what does and doesn't justify an EO complaint in the military has become so hair trigger people are scared to do the right thing.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »
Have yourself another think, Ptarmy. :cheersmate:

When I worked for the Naval Shipyard, so long as I had my badge out and displayed properly, and I looked like I knew where I was and what I was doing, I could get just about anywhere on base. Heck, even earlier than that, when I was but a wee pizza delivery lad, I was only one gate away from the actual ballistic missile subs at the Bangor Submarine Base most of the time. Were I of nefarious character :whistling: I could have taken advantage of the security situation in any number of ways, and I would have been far too deep inside the perimeter to have been stopped in any kind of timely manner. 

This is not to say that the security folks aren't on top of things: while I was at the shipyard, they disappeared at least one scuba diver a month into the bowels of NID for being caught inside the security perimeter (usually with a camera, and usually just after a major combatant had come in for a refit) as one example where they were on top of things.  All I'm saying is that most CONUS military bases are far to big an area for the security force regularly and normally employed on those bases to do anything but respond after the fact.

:werd:

I have been on a fair number of SY's and Bases over the years and have seen security change dramatically.  CAC's were just coming in as I was leaving in 07 as was NMCI. The company this guy worked for was most likely a sub contractor under the NMCI umbrella.  After the Lebanon bombing they began to tighten things up considerably in terms of parking near buildings.  After 9/11 things got even tighter.  I was at Puget just a few months before 9/11.  CAC cards were the next new magic bullet in DATA security. (or at least that was the line pushed by NAVSEA and the company selling the goods).  Yeah right.  Next it will be biometrics.  And it will be billed as better than sliced bread, can't fail technology, so simple to use even my dear Aunt Sally couldn't mess up.

Washington Naval Base IIRC was a rehab project because NAVSEA was spending boatloads of cash on rented space.  I seem to recall there was some real resistance at being forced out of the comfortable 'burbs into the belly of the DC Beast.  Then it became cool to be urban again as long as you were out of DC before dark.

Also, there is considerable difference between a Base which does refueling and one that just does planning.  Big difference.  During refueling you get Jarheads with fully automatic M16's or whatever the current battle weapon and even the rent-a-cops know enough to freeze when some pimple faced kid holding one says freeze. 
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2013, 07:23:30 PM »
Ain't this interesting!

FRIEND: Navy Yard Shooter Liberal, Supported Obama

by John Nolte 17 Sep 2013, 1:50 PM PDT  1593 post a comment

Tuesday, on CNN's "The Lead with Jake Tapper," Michael Ritrovato spoke at length about his friend, suspected Navy Yard shooter Aaron Alexis. After expressing his condolences to the victims and their families, Ritrovato then expressed his shock over the actions of a man he described as being "like a brother to me" and a "good-natured guy."

Ritrovato went on to explain that two of them had a close relationship based in part on their differences, specifically race and politics. Alexis was black, Ritrovato is white. Ritrovato described himself as conservative and Alexis is "more of a liberal type" who supported Barack Obama:

I would say things like, 'You know, you are my brother from another mother.' And he would say things like, 'You're my Italian mafia guy from New York.' So we had things we joked about: Aaron wasn't conservative like I am. He was more of a liberal type; he wasn't happy with the former [Bush] administration. He was more happy with this [the Obama] administration -- as far as presidential administrations.

The last two paragraphs of the story are here:  http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/09/17/Navy-Yard-Shooter-friend-Describes%20Alexis-as-liberal-Obama-fan

Imagine that--a 'fellow traveller' of the DUmmies! ::) :whatever: :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2013, 09:35:06 PM »
Ain't this interesting!

The last two paragraphs of the story are here:  http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/09/17/Navy-Yard-Shooter-friend-Describes%20Alexis-as-liberal-Obama-fan

Not surprised. There is also this.

Navy Yard shooter Aaron Alexis was 'not happy with America,' friend says
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/17/20542864-navy-yard-shooter-aaron-alexis-was-not-happy-with-america-friend-says?lite

FORT WORTH, Texas — Aaron Alexis was so unhappy with his life in America — where he was beset by money woes and felt slighted as a veteran — that he was "ready to move out of the country" last year, a friend said Tuesday.

"He was tired of dealing with the government," said Kristi Suthamtewkal, whose husband owns the Thai Bowl Restaurant in Fort Worth, where Alexis worked in exchange for room and board.

But instead of leaving the U.S., the former Navy reservist relocated from Texas to Virginia, where an IT company called The Experts put him on a government contract at the Washington Navy Yard.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:41:16 PM by Ptarmigan »
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2013, 11:27:55 PM »
Alexis is "more of a liberal type" who supported Barack Obama

suck it DUmmies.  He's one of yours with no ties to the NRA or TEA party.

:ownit:
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline thundley4

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2013, 11:50:13 PM »
Police warned Navy about gunman's mental instability 6 weeks ago, report says

They ignored it because he was black and to not ignore the warning would have been racist.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2013, 11:52:28 PM »
They ignored it because he was black and to not ignore the warning would have been racist.
Isn't that what the Army did with Hassan?

Yeah, that's what I thought.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2013, 12:33:13 AM »
Ain't this interesting!

The last two paragraphs of the story are here:  http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/09/17/Navy-Yard-Shooter-friend-Describes%20Alexis-as-liberal-Obama-fan

What's his DU name?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2013, 12:37:27 AM »
What's his DU name?

Other than the DainBramaged one, do we have any DUmmies who are AWOL from the Island?
-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2013, 01:02:37 AM »
Other than the DainBramaged one, do we have any DUmmies who are AWOL from the Island?

Has One Strong Black Man or whatever his screen name is been seen lately?

What about Mr. Dorkio?

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: Re: Police responding to multiple shooting at Navy Yard
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2013, 11:30:40 AM »
There are reports that the shooter was unhappy with America. Perhaps if the dumb ass hadn't supported obama his view of America would have been a little brighter. :ownit:

Police lives matter.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: Re: Police responding to multiple shooting at Navy Yard
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2013, 12:28:44 PM »
There are reports that the shooter was unhappy with America. Perhaps if the dumb ass hadn't supported obama his view of America would have been a little brighter. :ownit:
Up until rodeowebuma's election the wookieyeti was unhappy with America. Even after I'm not so sure.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2013, 03:40:37 PM »
Who's up for another Bengazi-style cover-up? :thatsright: :banghead:

Multiple sources are telling the BBC that a tactical response team ready to respond to Monday’s deadly shooting in Washington, D.C. was ordered to stand down by superiors. The heavily armed team was reportedly one of the first available to aid municipal officers on the scene.

The gunman, 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, went on to kill 12 people at the Washington Navy Yard.

The Capitol Police Department is reportedly pulling radio logs from Monday morning to investigate exactly what happened.

<snip>

TheBlaze

The more this case develops, the more it stinks to high heaven, IMHO...
-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline thundley4

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
I had read another story about marine guards stationed there that had weapons, but no ammo. True or not, I don't know.  This administration is so corrupt that anything is possible.

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: Re: Re: Police responding to multiple shooting at Navy Yard
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2013, 04:07:57 PM »
I had read another story about marine guards stationed there that had weapons, but no ammo. True or not, I don't know.  This administration is so corrupt that anything is possible.
if true, that is appalling. Even Barney Fife got to carry one bullet on him.

Police lives matter.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2013, 04:57:28 AM »
I have been away fishing and don't do the news when I do that. So it looks like another mental case libtard that had a neon warning sign on his head went on a shooting spree in yet another gun free zone!  Its becoming apparent that's the MO of these shootings. So we better cut mental health care and ban more guns. Yeah, that's the ticket!! :banghead:
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2013, 09:41:20 AM »
I have been away fishing and don't do the news when I do that. So it looks like another mental case libtard that had a neon warning sign on his head went on a shooting spree in yet another gun free zone!  Its becoming apparent that's the MO of these shootings. So we better cut mental health care and SO WE CAN ban more guns. Yeah, that's the ticket!! :banghead:  :-)

Fixed it for ya....that is what I think is going on. And NO i did buy any tin foil of late. :-)
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2013, 10:21:17 AM »
Family recounts chilling airport encounter with Navy gunman
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/19/family-recounts-chilling-airport-encounter-with-navy-gunman/

EXCLUSIVE: An Alabama family recounted to FoxNews.com a chilling airport encounter they had last month with the man they believe went on to gun down 12 people at a Washington military facility, and said the confrontation was triggered by the hearty laugh of a 75-year-old matriarch.

“We were just laughing and talking and he came over and said we were laughing at him,” Rosalind Baugh told FoxNews.com, speaking of Aaron Alexis, the troubled former Navy Reservist and government contractor who went on a shooting spree in the Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters in southeast Washington Monday.

Since the shooting, in which Alexis was killed by police, several reports have surfaced about his anti-social behavior, mental problems and record of arrests for gun offenses. As soon as he was identified as the shooter, Baugh and other family members present at Norfolk Airport for the Aug. 4 incident have been reliving the frightening encounter daily.

That is a red flag right there.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du