Author Topic: Fugitive Snowden seeks asylum in Ecuador: foreign minister  (Read 7515 times)

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
Re: Fugitive Snowden seeks asylum in Ecuador: foreign minister
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 11:17:50 AM »
Interesting that we do have a Ecuador/US extradition treaty.

We also have one with Hong Kong.  Your point?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 11:19:25 AM »
Interesting that we do have a Ecuador/US extradition treaty.

Nice try, but if you'd read the document, you'd note that the crimes indicated therein do not specify "espionage" or "treason" or anything remotely along those lines. Embezzlement? Check. Abortion? Check. But espionage and treason? Ain't in the document, hon.

Go to the back of the line and try again.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline here

• In case anyone ever asks, I wasn't really here
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 01:28:57 AM »
Nice try, but if you'd read the document, you'd note that the crimes indicated therein do not specify "espionage" or "treason" or anything remotely along those lines. Embezzlement? Check. Abortion? Check. But espionage and treason? Ain't in the document, hon.

Go to the back of the line and try again.
What do you think embezzlement of public property defines?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:34:49 AM by here »

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 09:23:23 AM »
Bottom line--he's screwed.  In a manner of his own making.

True, but at this point he's an idiot if he actually ever does decide to come back here and face trial.  As far as Kerry and all the Seniletors and Congresscritters (On both sides) weeping huge hypocritical crocodile tears about other countries ignoring the 'Rule of law' for not turning him over, it's pretty obvious our hands aren't remarkably cleaner and they're tired of putting up with out bullshit about it.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 09:30:20 AM »

Like I said, keep trying. But go back to the end of the line first and wait your turn.

Again.  :-)

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »

It means he took a stapler with him...and possibly some other stuff, which the Government can neither confirm nor deny, at this point in time.  Doesn't have anything to do with espionage, treason, or classified material by nature of the charge, though.

Offline here

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 09:56:59 AM »
It means he took a stapler with him...and possibly some other stuff, which the Government can neither confirm nor deny, at this point in time.  Doesn't have anything to do with espionage, treason, or classified material by nature of the charge, though.

Theft of government property is in the arrest warrant

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 10:33:39 AM »

So?  Probably refers to a laptop and the hard drives, but the same charge covers anything all the way down to a stapler (Though to be a felony, it does have to add up to over $100 in value).  The charge still has Jack to do with treason or espionage, as you seem to think.

Offline here

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 10:44:51 AM »
So?  Probably refers to a laptop and the hard drives, but the same charge covers anything all the way down to a stapler (Though to be a felony, it does have to add up to over $100 in value).  The charge still has Jack to do with treason or espionage, as you seem to think.

The theft/embezzlement comment is under the context of enforcing a Ecuadorian extradiction warrant but interestingly political persecution is an out.  Though, the data theft falls under treason/espionage

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 10:56:44 AM »

Ecuador has no intention of complying with the treaty bonehead.  They have refused to turn over Jullian Asswipe for rape so I don't think stapler theft is going to impress them.  You can dice mouse turds till the cows come home but, if they chose not to comply (like China) Kerry & Obummer are simply screwed. 

Offline Dori

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 11:41:19 AM »
Sorry, CG6468, my quote feature was not working; I think a Tor browser issue.

just type the code "quote" what your quoting "/quote".  But in place of the " put the quote signs [ and ] around them. 
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline here

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 11:48:31 AM »
just type the code "quote" what your quoting "/quote".  But in place of the " put the quote signs [ and ] around them. 

just type the code "quote" what your quoting "/quote".  But in place of the " put the quote signs [ and ] around them
test

Thanks

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 12:48:35 PM »
The theft/embezzlement comment is under the context of enforcing a Ecuadorian extradiction warrant but interestingly political persecution is an out.  Though, the data theft falls under treason/espionage

Asylum determinations (Which trump extraditions), here or anywhere else in the world, are not bound by what the country that wants a guy extradited claims he did.  There wouldn't be any point in them otherwise.

Offline here

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2013, 01:05:34 PM »
Asylum determinations (Which trump extraditions), here or anywhere else in the world, are not bound by what the country that wants a guy extradited claims he did.  There wouldn't be any point in them otherwise.

I agree but politics trumps both.  Ecuador may not want to get into an extradition battle with the U.S. that could effect their trade.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2013, 04:49:55 PM »
I agree but politics trumps both.  Ecuador may not want to get into an extradition battle with the U.S. that could effect their trade.

Ah, speculation is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

:-)

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 11:29:46 AM »

Now there's a great argument to prove what legally-principled, high-minded sonsabitches we are when our sovereign authority wants something changed that another sovereign authority did within its international legal rights.  I'm sure it'll be played back to us the next time we're over a barrel and try to make a humanitarian appeal to get our way on something, or grant asylum to a Russian or Chinese activist.

Seriously, getting him back is just an issue of retribution, whatever cats he had are completely out of the bag and have been for awhile.  There's nothing that's going to actually be improved by getting him back.  The only remaining purposes to putting the habeus grabbus on him now are to stop the PR bleeding for Obama and the NSA, and beat the crap out of him (In a legal sense).  Fox and the rest of the MSM are focused on how shameful it is that he doesn't turn himself in, which frankly he'd have to be a total moron to do, since the DOJ will devote literally-limitless resources to imprisoning him for the rest of his life, with the press baying for his blood (On the right, for the national security issue, and on the left more for embarassing Obama) rather than even pretending to show a whole picture, and no resources to defend himself. 

'Way too much is being made of this guy, he isn't actually important anymore, just another fugitive that better never set foot in the US again if he knows what's good for him.

Offline here

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 11:48:06 AM »
Now there's a great argument to prove what legally-principled, high-minded sonsabitches we are when our sovereign authority wants something changed that another sovereign authority did within its international legal rights.  I'm sure it'll be played back to us the next time we're over a barrel and try to make a humanitarian appeal to get our way on something, or grant asylum to a Russian or Chinese activist.

Seriously, getting him back is just an issue of retribution, whatever cats he had are completely out of the bag and have been for awhile.  There's nothing that's going to actually be improved by getting him back.  The only remaining purposes to putting the habeus grabbus on him now are to stop the PR bleeding for Obama and the NSA, and beat the crap out of him (In a legal sense).  Fox and the rest of the MSM are focused on how shameful it is that he doesn't turn himself in, which frankly he'd have to be a total moron to do, since the DOJ will devote literally-limitless resources to imprisoning him for the rest of his life, with the press baying for his blood (On the right, for the national security issue, and on the left more for embarassing Obama) rather than even pretending to show a whole picture, and no resources to defend himself. 

'Way too much is being made of this guy, he isn't actually important anymore, just another fugitive that better never set foot in the US again if he knows what's good for him.

I agree with your political assessment and I doubt there is the political will to do a snatch mission.  Though, I do think if he accidental dies from lead poisoning, this cat will have more than nine lives

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2013, 01:29:07 PM »
Ecuador has no intention of complying with the treaty bonehead.  They have refused to turn over Jullian Asswipe for rape so I don't think stapler theft is going to impress them.  You can dice mouse turds till the cows come home but, if they chose not to comply (like China) Kerry & Obummer are simply screwed. 
I prefer tripping over my mouseturds.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2013, 04:19:25 PM »
I agree with your political assessment and I doubt there is the political will to do a snatch mission.  Though, I do think if he accidental dies from lead poisoning, this cat will have more than nine lives

He's not worth anything that justifies any covert efforts, dude.  The beans have all been spilled and his access is over.  He's a zero-value target, only an idiot like a journalist or Obama would see any point in throwing away black resources on him now.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »
Kinda looks like Snowden didn't think through this carefully enough.

Offline Dori

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2013, 01:50:35 PM »
Kinda looks like Snowden didn't think through this carefully enough.

I think Snowden is a tool, but whose?

Has anyone besides me considered that maybe this was planned by someone inside our government and Russia? 

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2013, 02:16:52 PM »
I think Snowden is a tool, but whose?

Has anyone besides me considered that maybe this was planned by someone inside our government and Russia? 

:tinfoil:

No. The idea of a 29-year-old kid who happens to be a computer whiz kid but who has access to all manner of top secret information is too stupid for even the federal government to contemplate and shove down our throats.

No. Snowden is up to his neck in his own excrement.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2013, 06:13:17 PM »
The most modern day definition of a useful idiot.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2013, 10:49:31 AM »
Iceland proposal would grant NSA leaker Snowden citizenship
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/05/iceland-proposal-would-grant-nsa-leaker-snowden-citizenship/

Icelandic lawmakers have introduced a proposal in Parliament that would grant immediate citizenship to National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden.

Ogmundur Jonasson, whose liberal Left-Green Party is backing the proposal along with the Pirate Party and Brighter Future Party, put the issue before the Judicial Affairs Committee Thursday, but the idea received minimal support.

Snowden is believed to be stuck in a Moscow airport transit area, seeking asylum from more than a dozen countries. At one point, he told the Guardian newspaper that he was inclined to seek asylum in a country that shared his values — and that "the nation that most encompasses this is Iceland."
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du