Author Topic: Back Pain  (Read 11666 times)

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
Re: Back Pain
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2011, 08:24:03 AM »
anyone know how soon I will know the results from a mri?

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2011, 09:31:54 AM »
anyone know how soon I will know the results from a mri?

If your doctor ordered them STAT, it should be within a day and maybe the same day. But certainly within 3 days, at least hereabouts.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2011, 10:21:37 AM »
Weird you mention this, yesterday I started having sciatic pain in my right butt/leg. It hurts like crazy. My husband took my car with him to Austin so he could get my plates so I'm driving his F-150 (Raptor) and I can barely get in and out of it with this dang sciatic pain.  I also feel very small when I'm driving it.

Gina, no advice but there is nothing worse than back pain. :(

BEG, have it checked by an ortho doctor.   I had xrays and MRI to properly diagnose it.

Like I said earlier, many people have slipped vertebrae all their life but never have symptoms; I'm one of the unlucky ones.
  :(

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2011, 11:29:52 AM »
Gina, you should have the results immediately after the MRI. If they don't give you a CD before you leave, ask for one. I've got copies of all of my MRIs I've had done (Knees, ankles, brain & a complete spine MRI)

and, YES, I DO have a brain!!
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline CG6468

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2011, 11:33:06 AM »
Gina, you should have the results immediately after the MRI. If they don't give you a CD before you leave, ask for one. I've got copies of all of my MRIs I've had done (Knees, ankles, brain & a complete spine MRI)

and, YES, I DO have a brain!!

I got mine immediately thereafter, too. But they must be labeled STAT by the doctor.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2011, 11:37:07 AM »
I got mine immediately thereafter, too. But they must be labeled STAT by the doctor.

Not necessarily. Mine weren't. In fact, a couple of times, they gave me a CD to take to my Dr. I took it home and copied it to my PC.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2011, 12:19:50 PM »
Ok......

So......

I took 1 percocet at 5am and it completely took away the pain

started hurting again at 8am and took 2 ultrams and that stopped the pain

starting to hurt again at 12pm and took 1 soma just now.

Am I overdoing it?  They say as needed for pain but crap that is a lot of meds

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2011, 12:31:24 PM »
Yes, that is a lot of meds.  You need to get to a doc and get a real, one- or two-drug scrip and stick to it.  Drug interactions can be pretty ugly.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2011, 12:38:04 PM »
Yes, that is a lot of meds.  You need to get to a doc and get a real, one- or two-drug scrip and stick to it.  Drug interactions can be pretty ugly.

That is what my dr gave me yesterday.  I am following the instructions on the bottle.  :bawl:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2011, 12:38:25 PM »
Three different kinds?  That seems excessive.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2011, 01:30:48 PM »
That is what my dr gave me yesterday.  I am following the instructions on the bottle.  :bawl:

Well.....Not an MD (nor do I play one on TV)  but judging from the meds he gave you, I suspect that the different drugs are for differing levels of pain.  I would not take the same or a different pain med in under a four hour period.

According to my trusty PDR, I don't see any interaction potential between them, but taking them simultaneously (or nearly so) could produce undesirable side effects (the most notable appears to be breathing difficulty and vertigo).

Didn't your doctor give you specific instructions on the application of each of your meds?

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2011, 01:44:49 PM »
Sorry, Gina, I thought you were still using stuff second-handed from family members.  Your doc may also be exploring what works best for you, so don't be shy (Hah!) about giving feedback on the effectiveness of each of them for you at your next appointment.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2011, 01:45:56 PM »
Oh yes....

the percocet was for extreme pain or breakthrough pain.  (take 1 tablet 2x per day as needed for pain)

The ultram is to be taken every 8 hours or as needed for pain

The soma says take 1 2x daily as needed for muscle spasm

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2011, 01:48:54 PM »
Sorry, Gina, I thought you were still using stuff second-handed from family members.  Your doc may also be exploring what works best for you, so don't be shy (Hah!) about giving feedback on the effectiveness of each of them for you at your next appointment.

Yeh, I have been writing down the times and the pain level.  Right now that soma ain't doing shit and I am wanting to take another percocet but I am going to hold off until right before my mri.  I was told I would have to lay in that thing for 45 minutes flat on my back and that will hurt bad plus I am claustrophobic so this should be fun   :lmao:

Offline CG6468

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »
Not necessarily. Mine weren't. In fact, a couple of times, they gave me a CD to take to my Dr. I took it home and copied it to my PC.

Maybe it depends on the size of the hospital. I dunno.  ::)

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Hope my liver lives after this  :panic:

about the cd, they said they would be giving me one to take home if I wanted it

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2011, 01:50:49 PM »
I am terrified of back surgery.  I don't know why.  I have had 3 c/s's and those are walks in the park but back surgery seems sooooo serious. 

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2011, 01:52:34 PM »
Right now that soma ain't doing shit and I am wanting to take another percocet but I am going to hold off until right before my mri. 

Sounds like a good plan.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »
I need a back rub  :naughty:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2011, 02:07:39 PM »
I had two -two hour sessions in the tube. My Dr. gave me some Xanax because I'm claustrophobic. The first place has a smaller MRI tube. That REALLY sucked. I could barely move and was even "squished" at times. I found another place, where I had a second MRI of my neck done that has a little bit larger tube. One thing that also helped was a washcloth over my eyes. They will give you those sleeping masks for your eyes, if you ask for one. that worked, too.  Bear in mind, I'm a fairly large guy, as Eupher, Schadie or Mike220 can attest.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2011, 02:11:43 PM »
I had two -two hour sessions in the tube. My Dr. gave me some Xanax because I'm claustrophobic. The first place has a smaller MRI tube. That REALLY sucked. I could barely move and was even "squished" at times. I found another place, where I had a second MRI of my neck done that has a little bit larger tube. One thing that also helped was a washcloth over my eyes. They will give you those sleeping masks for your eyes, if you ask for one. that worked, too.  Bear in mind, I'm a fairly large guy, as Eupher, Schadie or Mike220 can attest.

I hate the tubes, particularly the small ones. And I barely fit into the small ones.  :whatever:  :wink: For my last one in February when I was hospitalized, it was a large tube, and they gave me some earphones to listen to some music - whatever kind of music I chose.

I have an abdominal ultrasound coming up sometime in October, but I didn't make the appointment yet.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2011, 02:15:54 PM »
Ultrasounds are easy. They just a little thing over where they're scanning. The worst part is the conductive gel they use. No tubes to squeeze into, just lay on a hospital bed.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2011, 02:20:05 PM »
I'm a fairly large guy, as Eupher, Schadie or Mike220 can attest.

I knew ya'll were close but not that close  :naughty:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2011, 02:20:22 PM »

Yeh, I have been writing down the times and the pain level.  Right now that soma ain't doing shit and I am wanting to take another percocet but I am going to hold off until right before my mri.  I was told I would have to lay in that thing for 45 minutes flat on my back and that will hurt bad plus I am claustrophobic so this should be fun   :lmao:

When I was pregnant with my last child they wanted to do an MRI to see if my disease (takayasu Arteritis) had progressed during the pregnancy. I have never had an issue with MRI's before or after but that time I couldn't lay flat on my back. It hurt so bad. They waited a couple of weeks then tried it again, this time no pain.  They determined that the baby was laying on a nerve.  I have no issue with claustrophobia.  

Offline CG6468

« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2011, 02:21:49 PM »
Ultrasounds are easy. They just a little thing over where they're scanning. The worst part is the conductive gel they use. No tubes to squeeze into, just lay on a hospital bed.

Yeah, I know. I had them before. I HATE the messy gel; when it's over, I have to go home and take a shower.