Author Topic: My room mates notebooks anti-virus program won't allow access to DU  (Read 1308 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: My room mates notebooks anti-virus program won't allow access to DU
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 09:45:43 AM »
Now Karin and BSS, to be completely fair here, he did not actually equate the DUmmorrhoids to retarded gibbons, he placed them below retarded gibbons, but didn't really say just how far below.  Let's give him the benefit of the doubt, and take that as meaning a very great distance indeed.

Point taken. :o

I love your new adjective--"DUmmorroids."  It fits them so well.  H5 issued.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »
Now Karin and BSS, to be completely fair here, he did not actually equate the DUmmorrhoids to retarded gibbons, he placed them below retarded gibbons, but didn't really say just how far below.  Let's give him the benefit of the doubt, and take that as meaning a very great distance indeed.

Some clarification is clearly in order here.

The intellectual difference between a retarded gibbon and a "DUmmorrhoid" is approximately the same as the difference between Einstein and cinder blocks.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »
:catfight:

TrendMicro is crap.  Everybody knows that.

That's why I got rid of the "trial" version of McAfee on my laptop and installed BitDefender.  No problems with it at all.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 04:53:46 PM »
His room  mate should take that computer to the laundry  mat, and then go to the air  port.

How would you recommend he make his way there?  I was going to suggest horse back, the rail road, or he could have one of his friends push him there in a wheel barrow. 

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »
How would you recommend he make his way there?  I was going to suggest horse back, the rail road, or he could have one of his friends push him there in a wheel barrow. 
It would be quicker in an auto  mobile, or even an air  plane.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 07:06:31 PM »
That's why I got rid of the "trial" version of McAfee on my laptop and installed BitDefender.  No problems with it at all.

I got rid of Windows on most of the computers here, which had the side-effect of solving the virus issue.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 07:20:09 PM »
I got rid of Windows on most of the computers here, which had the side-effect of solving the virus issue.

I made the mistake of letting someone use my netbook unsupervised and they immediately went out and got something nasty. The side effect of removal was that I needed to reinstall windows. After some careful consideration I downloaded an ubuntu image and put that on because imaging the restore DVD and getting it to boot correctly from a flash drive seemed too much pain in the ass.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 07:51:05 PM »
I made the mistake of letting someone use my netbook unsupervised and they immediately went out and got something nasty. The side effect of removal was that I needed to reinstall windows. After some careful consideration I downloaded an ubuntu image and put that on because imaging the restore DVD and getting it to boot correctly from a flash drive seemed too much pain in the ass.

Yeah, Ubuntu is my distribution of choice. As for me, I just got sick of Windows unraveling over time. Unless one is using their PC to play a lot of installable games (web based flash games work just fine), there is really no reason to not use Linux at this point.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2011, 07:55:07 PM »
Yeah, Ubuntu is my distribution of choice. As for me, I just got sick of Windows unraveling over time. Unless one is using their PC to play a lot of installable games (web based flash games work just fine), there is really no reason to not use Linux at this point.

That is where I am headed.  I have to use Windows for some work at home, but I am going to set aside some space for Ubuntu to start learning. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2011, 08:04:51 PM »
That is where I am headed.  I have to use Windows for some work at home, but I am going to set aside some space for Ubuntu to start learning. 

My PC is Dual-booting - meaning at startup I can choose to run Windows if necessary. Also, since I have a Core2 Quad, I have enough power to run a virtual machine, meaning that while running Linux, I can open up a software Based PC, and run Windows that way - then close the whole thing like any other application. Ubuntu is a good direction to go in - its well seasoned & easily managed by newbs - yet can be altered and customized by the experienced.

[/thread derailment]

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2011, 08:11:15 PM »
My PC is Dual-booting - meaning at startup I can choose to run Windows if necessary. Also, since I have a Core2 Quad, I have enough power to run a virtual machine, meaning that while running Linux, I can open up a software Based PC, and run Windows that way - then close the whole thing like any other application. Ubuntu is a good direction to go in - its well seasoned & easily managed by newbs - yet can be altered and customized by the experienced.

[/thread derailment]

Continuing the derailment.....my BF is going to set up a similar situation for me.  I don't know all of the "technical stuff" but, that basically sounds like what my set up will be sometime soon. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2011, 08:18:16 PM »
Continuing the derailment.....my BF is going to set up a similar situation for me.  I don't know all of the "technical stuff" but, that basically sounds like what my set up will be sometime soon. 

Good good - and you know what you are going to learn ? Your PC running Ubuntu will be significantly faster than the same exact hardware running Windows. Good Luck with it. After its set, any questions, just send me a PM.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2011, 08:21:31 PM »
Good good - and you know what you are going to learn ? Your PC running Ubuntu will be significantly faster than the same exact hardware running Windows. Good Luck with it. After its set, any questions, just send me a PM.

That is exactly what I understand.  I bought this ASUS with Vista installed and upgraded to Windows 7.  The primary reason why I have decided to learn something new is all because of speed.  I HATE friggin updates. 

I will most certainly keep you in mind if I have any questions.  Thanks!  :cheersmate: