Author Topic: Dream Act Passes House  (Read 7184 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Re: Dream Act Passes House
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2010, 01:52:20 PM »
Nightmare Act more like.  :argh:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2010, 01:53:21 PM »
Yes, the odds of this passing in the Senate now are very very low, but it could still occur "in theory". Same with the DADT repeal - they're just pandering and posturing to their loony base, but every little thing they do in the lame duck session should be watched "just in case".

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2010, 01:54:05 PM »
Not sure I understand your question, I believe what you are asking is exactly WHY it is deemed very improbable that the Senate would be willing to just adopt the House bill verbatim.  If they did, of course, there would be no need for a conference committee and subsequent revotes to approve the conferenced version.

No, I wasn't asking that Tank. It seemed that you were writing that if the Senate voted on the House version exactly as it is now it would automatically pass. But as of now they don't have the votes. It hasn't passed the Senate in any form, so a conference commiteee doesn't enter into the picture yet. I was wondering if you knew something here I wasn't aware of.

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2010, 01:57:50 PM »
anyone know the number of the bill...I can't find it and Thomas.gov has 31 bills if you search "undocumented"  :thatsright:

I think its H R 5281.
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2010, 02:01:59 PM »
Why not?  They elected Kennedy based on his performance in a televised debate.  Despite the fact that Nixon handed JFK his head, the fact that Nixon LOOKED worse (including the infamous sweating) held sway with a lot of voters.

Nixon was leading in the polls before that debate.  Afterwards, the momentum swung to Kennedy.

Presidential Elections have always been media affairs with maybe the exception of the first 2 with Washington.
I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2010, 02:47:16 PM »
No, I wasn't asking that Tank. It seemed that you were writing that if the Senate voted on the House version exactly as it is now it would automatically pass. But as of now they don't have the votes. It hasn't passed the Senate in any form, so a conference commiteee doesn't enter into the picture yet. I was wondering if you knew something here I wasn't aware of.

Ahh, no, we were looking at slightly different steps in the process.  You are talking about 'If it came up for a vote in the Senate,' I was talking about 'If it passed a vote in the Senate.'  There are some peculiarities and procedural intricacies of the way filibuster works in a given case and how legislation is packaged for Senate presentation that can possibly evade it in certain circumstances, though, and I won't rest easy on this one until the final gavel falls on the session.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline ConservativeMobster

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2010, 03:03:51 PM »
Ahh, no, we were looking at slightly different steps in the process.  You are talking about 'If it came up for a vote in the Senate,' I was talking about 'If it passed a vote in the Senate.'  There are some peculiarities and procedural intricacies of the way filibuster works in a given case and how legislation is packaged for Senate presentation that can possibly evade it in certain circumstances, though, and I won't rest easy on this one until the final gavel falls on the session.

IOW most of this is procedural BS.  Back to my civics class I go.
Our people look for a cause to believe in. Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people?***Ronald Reagan

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2010, 03:12:18 PM »
IOW most of this is procedural BS.  Back to my civics class I go.

Yes, but it is the nature of the Senate that legislation lives or dies by such procedural bullshit, not by its merits or lack thereof.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2010, 05:02:10 PM »
I wonder if there isn't more to the thinking behind the dream act? Think of battalions full of illegals rumbling down the streets of America. Hey I'm just sayin. I don't know what is on these power hungry bastards minds anymore!

A majority of Mexicans think we done them wrong and they were cheated out of the Southwestern territories.  So now they sneak across our borders to outspawn us.  Meanwhile the Chinese are buying up our assets and the Arabs have us over the oil barrel.
And our so-called leaders can't wait to keep selling us out. :fuelfire:
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline true_blood

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2010, 06:38:21 PM »
So which one "conquers" our country first? Sharia law or illegal immigrants (30 million+ new democrap voters)? With the help of our wonderful masters (not representatives anymore), the benevolent imperial federal govt. of course ...
I'm going to go with both. Both the throwbacks and the illegals are already causing chaos in this Country.
If we had a gubberment that worked for the people, by the people, of the people, this wouldn't be happening. But look what's in the White Mosque and who's surrounding/supporting the White Mosque. Dangerous times indeed.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2010, 07:46:45 PM »
The ONLY optimistic way I can look at is is that my generation is going to have some extremely interesting, detailed stories to tell their future children.

If it pans out that we're all still free 20-30 years down the road...

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2010, 08:53:37 PM »
A majority of Mexicans think we done them wrong and they were cheated out of the Southwestern territories.  So now they sneak across our borders to outspawn us. 
This is their dream...

aztlan
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2010, 09:01:15 PM »
I doubt they would stop at the NV/UT border if they were given what they wanted by the whinging crybabies in charge today.  Maybe we need to send a couple heavy divisions down there again... they obviously didn't learn squat the last time.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2010, 09:15:38 PM »

The current regime and congress gave Mexico's President a standing 'o for trashing the US in a speech.

... they obviously didn't learn squat the last time.

My guess is they learned all they need to know from our country's current "leadership".

Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2010, 09:29:39 PM »

The current regime and congress gave Mexico's President a standing 'o for trashing the US in a speech.

My guess is they learned all they need to know from our country's current "leadership".

Welcome to CC, Janice, and you are totally correct in your guess!

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2010, 09:32:12 PM »
This is their dream...

aztlan

That is truly a chilling map, and I can't believe our idiot government doesn't classify this group as a dangerous menace to our country.
Instead, they're busy selling this country down the river for some misguided principle of "tolerance".
My tolerance ends right where your ass intrudes into my business.  And if the safety of my country isn't my business, and all of ours, what the hell good is it to call ourselves Americans?

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2010, 09:36:22 PM »
I doubt they would stop at the NV/UT border if they were given what they wanted by the whinging crybabies in charge today.  Maybe we need to send a couple heavy divisions down there again... they obviously didn't learn squat the last time.

Hell, we can't even get the incompetents in DC to protect the border, let alone enforce the right of American citizens to enjoy the blessings of liberty and safety in their own homes.  Instead, those ****ers file lawsuits against us. :argh:

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2010, 09:37:13 PM »
Instead, they're busy selling this country down the river for some misguided principle of "tolerance".
They are selling us down the river for future democrat voters.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020