Author Topic: Dream Act Passes House  (Read 7183 times)

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
Re: Dream Act Passes House
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 08:53:09 AM »
I doubt it will go anywhere in the Senate..With that being said..

The 'Lame Duck' period needs to be ended, by moving the elections to the beginning of the year. November 2nd made sense when it would take weeks to move a newly elected person to Washington from across the country, but no longer. Now the lame duck sessions have become a period of vengeance voting.

Up to 1933 the President took office in March after November.  Mostly because it took that long prior to the telephone to get a cabinet together.

New congressional critters do need a period to adjust to being a congressman.  Hiring staff, being briefed on the rules of the House, being assigned to committee, etc.

I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 08:54:36 AM »
I heard as well that the 60 votes aren't there.  We shall see.  What would make this slightly more palatable would be to remove the college and require the military service. 

Sorry, but I don't want illegal aliens serving in my Military.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 08:59:42 AM »
Up to 1933 the President took office in March after November.  Mostly because it took that long prior to the telephone to get a cabinet together.

New congressional critters do need a period to adjust to being a congressman.  Hiring staff, being briefed on the rules of the House, being assigned to committee, etc.

In GWB's book Decision Points, he mentioned he had 38 days to put together his cabinet after the Florida goatrope in which both candidates contested the results going all the up to SCOTUS. I seem to recall he did okay, though he admits he never really got along with Paul O'Neill.

I do agree that the n00bs need some time to get acclimated.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 09:02:27 AM »
In GWB's book Decision Points, he mentioned he had 38 days to put together his cabinet after the Florida goatrope in which both candidates contested the results going all the up to SCOTUS. I seem to recall he did okay, though he admits he never really got along with Paul O'Neill.

Yes, and try doing that without email or a telephone or a functioning highway system.

They could probably seat them in Mid December.  There are two Holidays however that people like to take between the election and January.
I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 09:04:26 AM »
Of course 100 years ago, congressional offices probably consisted of a secretary and the congressman.

That was when they did quaint things like write legislation themselves and read legislation before passing it.

For some reason they wrote less legislation and the legislation was shorter and easier to understand back than.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »

Has Obama ever completely filled all the Cabinet positions?  Last I heard anything about it, he had all those "czars" instead, because they didn't need congressional approval.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 09:11:01 AM »
Yes, and try doing that without email or a telephone or a functioning highway system.

They could probably seat them in Mid December.  There are two Holidays however that people like to take between the election and January.

More than that when you consider Hanukkah, which the House recognizes, on Dec. 1.

I think the overall point is, there is probably little justification to hold an inauguration 2.5 months after an election in this day and age of instant communication. If Bush can do it, so can everybody else.

Do the noobs need almost two months to go through their "in-processing"? Not too sure about that - that may be excessive as well. Get these Congressshits to work immediately.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 09:11:43 AM »
Of course 100 years ago, congressional offices probably consisted of a secretary and the congressman.

That was when they did quaint things like write legislation themselves and read legislation before passing it.

For some reason they wrote less legislation and the legislation was shorter and easier to understand back than.

In The Making of the President 1960, the author Theodore White noted that the presidential campaign that year couldn't get underway until after Labor Day, because Congress was then in session until late August (after which it ended for the rest of the year), and everybody, including the presidential candidates, were too busy with legislation.

My, how times have changed.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2010, 09:13:57 AM »
Has Obama ever completely filled all the Cabinet positions?  Last I heard anything about it, he had all those "czars" instead, because they didn't need congressional approval.

Looks like it, according to Wiki.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2010, 09:39:21 AM »
Well?  Looks like this is done.

12/6/2010:
Motion to proceed to consideration of measure withdrawn in Senate. (consideration: CR S8552)

Hope this is the original, appears to be from Thomas.gov

http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/thomas (Search #9)

Linkee no workee

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2010, 09:41:11 AM »
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:52:38 AM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2010, 09:49:12 AM »
Who withdrew it? Dopey Reid himself? It takes 12 votes to reconsider.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2010, 09:56:50 AM »
In The Making of the President 1960, the author Theodore White noted that the presidential campaign that year couldn't get underway until after Labor Day, because Congress was then in session until late August (after which it ended for the rest of the year), and everybody, including the presidential candidates, were too busy with legislation.

My, how times have changed.

Well a congressman/woman who hoped to get re-elected in those days had to go to every single function in the community from September to November.

That generation wouldn't feel too comfortable picking their representative based on TV commercials.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2010, 10:08:23 AM »
So.... are we still waiting for this to pass the senate?  I am not turning on C-SPAN because I'd end up throwing my remote through the TV.

Gosh, if unemployment is this bad, just imagine if we let all the illegal immigrants become citizens.  It's not like jobs are magically going to appear.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2010, 10:12:06 AM »
So.... are we still waiting for this to pass the senate?  I am not turning on C-SPAN because I'd end up throwing my remote through the TV.

Gosh, if unemployment is this bad, just imagine if we let all the illegal immigrants become citizens.  It's not like jobs are magically going to appear.

This is what the entry says:

12/6/2010:
Motion to proceed to consideration of measure withdrawn in Senate. (consideration: CR S8552)

That looks like it's been tabled for now. Picked up in the new Congress? Maybe. Or simply left to die right where it is.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2010, 10:13:49 AM »
If it's picked up for the new Congress, then it's a dead bill...  or it BETTER be anyway.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2010, 10:28:13 AM »
Troubling,  just wrong giving up our borders like this.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline ConservativeMobster

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2010, 10:48:27 AM »
Linkee no workee

Maybe cuz I removed it  :naughty:

Sorry, I can't figure that bill out.  Too many of the damn things and I thought maybe I had the wrong one.

This is what Thomas has:

ALL ACTIONS:
11/30/2010:
Introduced in the Senate. Read the first time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under Read the First Time. (text of measure as introduced: CR S8301-8304)
12/1/2010:
Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 663.
12/6/2010:
Motion to proceed to consideration of measure made in Senate. (consideration: CR S8552)
12/6/2010:
Cloture motion on the motion to proceed to the bill presented in Senate. (consideration: CR S8552; text: CR S8552)
12/6/2010:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn, 2 modifies in 1 post...I'm over it.  Thanks Eupher!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:52:49 AM by ConservativeMobster »
Our people look for a cause to believe in. Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people?***Ronald Reagan

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2010, 10:58:53 AM »

Maybe cuz I removed it  :naughty:

Sorry, I can't figure that bill out.  Too many of the damn things and I thought maybe I had the wrong one.

This is what Thomas has:

ALL ACTIONS:
11/30/2010:
Introduced in the Senate. Read the first time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under Read the First Time. (text of measure as introduced: CR S8301-8304)
12/1/2010:
Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 663.
12/6/2010:
Motion to proceed to consideration of measure made in Senate. (consideration: CR S8552)
12/6/2010:
Cloture motion on the motion to proceed to the bill presented in Senate. (consideration: CR S8552; text: CR S8552)
12/6/2010:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn, 2 modifies in 1 post...I'm over it.  Thanks Eupher!

No prob. Chris picked up the link in Reply #35 anyway. It's all good.  :cheersmate:

Offline ConservativeMobster

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2010, 11:20:20 AM »
yeah, chris's linkee no workee either   :bawl:

is it typical to give these bills different #'s  while they add/modify or eff it up? 
Our people look for a cause to believe in. Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people?***Ronald Reagan

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2010, 11:22:20 AM »
Well a congressman/woman who hoped to get re-elected in those days had to go to every single function in the community from September to November.

That generation wouldn't feel too comfortable picking their representative based on TV commercials.

Why not?  They elected Kennedy based on his performance in a televised debate.  Despite the fact that Nixon handed JFK his head, the fact that Nixon LOOKED worse (including the infamous sweating) held sway with a lot of voters.

Nixon was leading in the polls before that debate.  Afterwards, the momentum swung to Kennedy.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2010, 01:11:38 PM »
According to CNN today, it's pretty close to being a dead letter for this Congress, though if the Senate adopted the House version verbatim (Which is deemed very improbable) before the clock runs out it would still go through.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/12/09/dream.act/index.html?hpt=T2
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2010, 01:32:32 PM »
According to CNN today, it's pretty close to being a dead letter for this Congress, though if the Senate adopted the House version verbatim (Which is deemed very improbable) before the clock runs out it would still go through.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/12/09/dream.act/index.html?hpt=T2

Why is that, Tank? It'd still have to get 60 votes.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2010, 01:39:09 PM »
That looks like it's been tabled for now. Picked up in the new Congress? Maybe. Or simply left to die right where it is.
Is there an expiration on the abomination the house passed yesterday or is this going to hang over our heads until the dems get the votes to pass it?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2010, 01:41:41 PM »
Not sure I understand your question, I believe what you are asking is exactly WHY it is deemed very improbable that the Senate would be willing to just adopt the House bill verbatim.  If they did, of course, there would be no need for a conference committee and subsequent revotes to approve the conferenced version.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.