Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 5641 times)

Offline ReardenSteel

What are you reading?
« on: January 09, 2008, 11:19:35 PM »
Hey all, what are you reading?

I was at Borders today spending my Christmas gift card.  :-)

I got a few books but just got started on a Hitchens book. "Why Orwell Matters". (don't ask, I'm on page 21)
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Miss Mia

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 11:22:39 PM »
I'm reading the Devil in the White City. It chronicles the Chicago World Fair and the big serial killer that was going on at the same time.  Excellent Book.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FMEXVD2JL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 11:27:11 PM »

Infidel, by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

it's a memoir of her childhood, and is a condemnation of islamic fundamentalism.  it's difficult to get through because her english isn't so great, but she is a riveting story teller.  it was passed along to me by a friend who usually votes democrat, but is right on the war on terror.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 11:29:39 PM »
I started "Eat Pray Love" to be with my gal pals in the neighborhood book club and the author keeps making stupid cracks about Republicans!  :banghead:

Living in a rabid blue area, I am just sunk..

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 11:30:36 PM »
I'm reading the Devil in the White City. It chronicles the Chicago World Fair and the big serial killer that was going on at the same time.  Excellent Book.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FMEXVD2JL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Cool.

You mentioned it was based on true events but told really well. does it read like those history/fiction books like Jeff Shaara books? (i love those) And James alexander Thom does that style too.

Just curious, sounds like a book I would like in either case.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 11:32:50 PM »
I started "Eat Pray Love" to be with my gal pals in the neighborhood book club and the author keeps making stupid cracks about Republicans!  :banghead:

sounds like a silly place to join a neighborhood book club :whatever: :-)

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 11:35:24 PM »

it's a memoir of her childhood, and is a condemnation of islamic fundamentalism.  it's difficult to get through because her english isn't so great, but she is a riveting story teller.  it was passed along to me by a friend who usually votes democrat, but is right on the war on terror.

I need to borrow that from a friend who I know has it. I've read a few on the topic and my favorite so far in Mark Steyn's America Alone. (just how bad is the English? LOL) (I bet the book gets "cleaned up" if later editions come out)

- Ayn Rand

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 11:36:41 PM »
Cool.

You mentioned it was based on true events but told really well. does it read like those history/fiction books like Jeff Shaara books? (i love those) And James alexander Thom does that style too.

I've never read Jeff Shaara.  I have read David McCullough, and he's more dry but interesting.  This book, it's like I'm not sure if they're going to pull off the fair, but I know it happens.  And he switches between the fair and the serial killer. 

My sister-in-law recommended it to me that's why I picked it up.  It satisfies that need for a fiction, but at the same time it's non-fiction. 

Next I'm going to pick up  Murdered by Mumia: A Life Sentence of Loss, Pain, and Injustice     

Murdered by Mumia: A Life Sentence of Loss, Pain, and Injustice by Maureen Faulkner and Michael A. Smerconish. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 11:42:54 PM »

well, there was some alcohol involved.... and .. well.. you know..  :uhsure:

"Love In The Time of Cholera" is the next one already picked.. and after that i am telling the girls that if we dont get off the Oprah Book Club band wagon, I'm quitting..  :-)

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 11:43:33 PM »

When it's your turn maybe you could recommend something more conservative friendly.  :-)

I'd suggest, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court by Mark Twain. It's subtle enough to be enjoyed by all political stripes but mostly it's about some dude who brings industry, capitalism and Democracy to old (really old) England. (very pro-American)  :-)

If they are dyed in the wool hippies I'd recommend anything by Tom Robbins. He's a 60's type hippy but at least his books are LOL funny. (sexy/cool)

- Ayn Rand

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 11:47:02 PM »

I need to borrow that from a friend who I know has it. I've read a few on the topic and my favorite so far in Mark Steyn's America Alone. (just how bad is the English? LOL) (I bet the book gets "cleaned up" if later editions come out)

the english isn't awful, but I find myself rereading sentences fairly frequently because I lost (or couldn't find) her meaning.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 11:48:19 PM »

well, there was some alcohol involved.... and .. well.. you know..  :uhsure:

"Love In The Time of Cholera" is the next one already picked.. and after that i am telling the girls that if we dont get off the Oprah Book Club band wagon, I'm quitting..  :-)

yeah, well, we are the sex and booze people, after all. :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 11:49:53 PM »
Cool.

I've never read Jeff Shaara.  I have read David McCullough, and he's more dry but interesting.  This book, it's like I'm not sure if they're going to pull off the fair, but I know it happens.  And he switches between the fair and the serial killer. 

My sister-in-law recommended it to me that's why I picked it up.  It satisfies that need for a fiction, but at the same time it's non-fiction. 

Next I'm going to pick up  Murdered by Mumia: A Life Sentence of Loss, Pain, and Injustice     

Murdered by Mumia: A Life Sentence of Loss, Pain, and Injustice by Maureen Faulkner and Michael A. Smerconish. 

I read David McCullough's biographies of truman and john adams;  I loved them both.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 11:53:10 PM »
Cool.

Sadly, I have the free time to read a lot. (a lot, a lot, LOL)  :-) I know of David McCullough and he's been on my "list" but I haven't read him yet.

Shaara is the son of the guy who wrote the book that the movie Gettysburg was based on.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107007/

He has completed several series of books now on the American Revolution, Civil War, WWI and most recently WWII.
http://www.jeffshaara.com/

They are really fun easy reads and done based on volumous research of the times they take place in. However, they are written in a fiction style so as to be dramatic and really interesting.

- Ayn Rand

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 11:58:05 PM »
Quote from: Wretched Excess
I read David McCullough's biographies of truman and john adams;  I loved them both.

Ahh! That's how I heard of him! (thanks)

It wast the john Adams book I had heard of and wanted to read. I didn't know he did Truman too, but that sounds worthwhile as well.

I never thought I would enjoy biographies untill I read one each on George Washington and Mark Twain. Shows what I know!  :p They can be real page turners.

- Ayn Rand

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 11:58:14 PM »
I am not reading anything now (focusing on writing) although I plan to pick up Warped Passages by Lisa Randall and Six Sacred Stones by Matt Reilly.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 12:04:03 AM »

It wast the john Adams book I had heard of and wanted to read. I didn't know he did Truman too, but that sounds worthwhile as well.

I never thought I would enjoy biographies untill I read one each on George Washington and Mark Twain. Shows what I know!  :p They can be real page turners.

truman won a pulitzer, and I thought adams was actually better.  perhaps I am just more interested in that era of american history.  the founding era has always fascinated me.  and I have always loved reading biographies. 

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 12:11:38 AM »
I am not reading anything now (focusing on writing) although I plan to pick up Warped Passages by Lisa Randall and Six Sacred Stones by Matt Reilly.

Holy moly!

My best friend is a physicist and that's some high brow stuff there. fwiw- he's told me what he does about a dozen times and I have to admit, I still haven't got a clue. (something about shape memory pallimers and deployable satalite structures or sumesuch nonsense) It's not like "he could tell me but he'd have to kill me" it's more like, "he could tell me and i still woulden't have a clue)

Are you into physics as a geek or as a profession? I myself am scientificly illiterate but I do keep a copy of stephen Hawkings A Brief History of Time on my coffee table to impress passers by.  :p

- Ayn Rand

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 12:15:40 AM »

truman won a pulitzer, and I thought adams was actually better.  perhaps I am just more interested in that era of american history.  the founding era has always fascinated me.  and I have always loved reading biographies. 

Thats cool. I have the same interest and it's why I recommended the Jeff Shaara stuff before.

I'm a history buff of sorts but only really care about ancient Greece, Rome and Egypt (in small doses) and then as far as I care, history can skip to the American Revolution and then skip again to the Cold War. (I'm a Swiss Cheese kinda history buff)  :-)

- Ayn Rand

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 12:27:04 AM »

Holy moly!

My best friend is a physicist and that's some high brow stuff there. fwiw- he's told me what he does about a dozen times and I have to admit, I still haven't got a clue. (something about shape memory pallimers and deployable satalite structures or sumesuch nonsense) It's not like "he could tell me but he'd have to kill me" it's more like, "he could tell me and i still woulden't have a clue)

Are you into physics as a geek or as a profession? I myself am scientificly illiterate but I do keep a copy of stephen Hawkings A Brief History of Time on my coffee table to impress passers by.  :p

I like to read stuff on physics and other sciences and use it for the sci-fi novel I am writing. And Lisa Randall is quite a hottie.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:30:18 AM by Katar »
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 12:51:26 AM »

Holy moly!

I like to read stuff on physics and other sciences and use it for the sci-fi novel I am writing. And Lisa Randall is quite a hottie.

A hottie indeed. Well. Power to ya brainiac!  :cheersmate: I hope you will feel free to post some of your stuff here.

I'm not the best sci-fi critic but thanks to my older brother I've read my share. Mostly Terry Pratchet, Dougless Adams, Piers Anthony and Terry Goodkind kinda stuff.

- Ayn Rand

Offline Flame

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 08:24:35 AM »
I'm reading a book called Cape Refuge right now...it's just an easy read.  I also have Diana Gabaldon's first book about Sir John (can't remember the exact title) on loan from the library.

I tend to just go through the library shelves and browse till I find something the peaks my interest.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 08:59:14 AM »

When it's your turn maybe you could recommend something more conservative friendly.  :-)

I'd suggest, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court by Mark Twain. It's subtle enough to be enjoyed by all political stripes but mostly it's about some dude who brings industry, capitalism and Democracy to old (really old) England. (very pro-American)  :-)

If they are dyed in the wool hippies I'd recommend anything by Tom Robbins. He's a 60's type hippy but at least his books are LOL funny. (sexy/cool)

Tom Robbins sounds familiar... i just want something light and non political for a while. i read a few Hilary books last year and that was enough..

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 09:01:22 AM »
I'm finishing up Murdered by Mumia and starting Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends,
by "Wild" Bill Guarnere and "Babe" Heffron of Band of Brothers fame.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Lauri

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 09:02:08 AM »
I'm reading a book called Cape Refuge right now...it's just an easy read.  I also have Diana Gabaldon's first book about Sir John (can't remember the exact title) on loan from the library.

I tend to just go through the library shelves and browse till I find something the peaks my interest.

thats what i do as well..  the Clinton tomes were big, but pretty interesting.

i find her interesting that with all the dirt people have on her, she just keeps going as if none of it matters...