Author Topic: Michigan Congressman Wants 50-Cent Tax Hike on Every Gallon of Gas  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Michigan Congressman Wants 50-Cent Tax Hike on Every Gallon of Gas

A Michigan congressman wants to put a 50-cent tax on every gallon of gasoline to try to cut back on Americans' consumption.

Polls show that a majority of Americans support policies that would reduce greenhouse gases. But when it comes to paying for it, it's a different story.

Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., wants to help cut consumption with a gas tax but some don't agree with the idea, according to a new poll by the National Center for Public Policy Research.

The poll, scheduled to be released on Thursday, shows 48 percent don't support paying even a penny more, 28 percent would pay up to 50 cents more, 10 percent would pay more than 50 cents and 8 percent would pay more than a dollar.

"I don't want to pay more, I don't think anyone wants to," said Karen Deacon, a motorist.

"I think that wouldn't make any sense," said Frankie Hoe, a motorist. "Ugh ... who's making the money from all this and where is that money going? Is it going to go green? I don't see any green things anywhere."

The automobile is the nation's biggest polluter; Americans use more gas than the next 20 countries combined.

MORE

WTH???  Hey Dingell  :bigbird:  Some of us have no choice. A$$hat.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Flame

Re: Michigan Congressman Wants 50-Cent Tax Hike on Every Gallon of Gas
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 08:09:09 AM »
If our country was the size of a postage stamp, like most of the EU, with towns designed to have stuff within walking distance (or stuff in walking distance out of the sheer fact that everything is on top of each other), then I could understand it.

Our country is too spread out for that to be feasable.

And those of us that live "removed" from the city life have no choice but to drive.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 08:15:03 AM »
A democrat wants to raise taxes? No shit
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:03:51 AM »
Another example of why MI will never recover.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 05:09:21 PM »
Attention lurking DUmmies:
 I realize you want to reduce consumption but a gas tax hike only f**ks poor people. The evil rich can afford just about any punishment you dish out but the working poor cannot.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.