Author Topic: Passenger Tries to Blow Up Jet Arriving in Detroit  (Read 6695 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Passenger Tries to Blow Up Jet Arriving in Detroit
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2009, 12:02:42 PM »
The DU commenter(s) didn't know enough about the incident to know that this moron flew from Nigeria (Do they even have airport security there? If so, how bribe-able, assuming they would even care to stop a terrorist?), but still shot their mouth (OK, keyboard) off. What a ... (yawn) ... shock ...

As this blog post points out, a lot of people got some 'splainin' to do. I doubt any of them will, though. There were at least three layers of security between this twerp and his perpetual virgins: 1.) the US State department, who gave a visa to a watch-list terrorist suspect; 2.) Nigerian airport security, who didn't give a sh__ or took $$ to be temporarily blind; 3.) Netherlands airport security - EuroLanders seem less than concerned when the possible bombers are outward bound. All three layers failed, at least from the POV of the passengers on that flight.

And, while passengers on that flight may have tried some DIY cosmetic surgery to improve the appearance of the would-be perp, his hospitalization is due to his self-inflicted burns (which may be the most serious punishment he'll receive).

Over the past 8 years or so, I've flown to Germany three times. On two occasions, I flew through Amsterdam. I can say with 100% certainty that the Dutch security measures compared to ours are pretty lame.

This is not to say that TSA has it all figured out. Far from it. Their overall refusal to employ racial profiling - at least overtly - and insisting that Grandma throw away her bottle of hand lotion because it's over 2 ounces reflects on typical government rigidity and lack of common sense.

All it takes is one terrorist to get through ANY system to make the whole damn thing look like a travesty.

As much as we all whine and bitch about taking our shoes off when going through security and the fact it takes us 20 minutes to do so, I feel a lot more secure in the US than I do in Europe.

But I'm wondering now and planning ahead for the next time I have to fly. Since Richard Reid's antics resulted in our having to take off our shoes while going through security, are we all going to have to take our pants off to get through security now?

Just sayin'.  :whistling:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Linda

• American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2009, 12:15:32 PM »
Well, you can remove your pants or go through here:

Those are 2 options for future security screenings....
A liberal who is mugged by reality becomes conservative.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2009, 12:51:22 PM »
Over the past 8 years or so, I've flown to Germany three times. On two occasions, I flew through Amsterdam. I can say with 100% certainty that the Dutch security measures compared to ours are pretty lame.
I haven't flown much since late 2000 or early 2001, so I haven't been through security, personally, post-9/11. My kids have flown a fair amount these past few years - mostly domestically, except for two that have been on Youth With A Mission outreaches. My 6'2" son almost always gets extra attention; his sisters wear flip-flops because of the shoe removal thingy. I'll have to ask the daughter that flew through Amsterdam about the security she saw there.

As a whole I think EuroLand folk think US folks are over-reacting. Unless something unpleasant happens there - God forbid! - I don't think this incident will make more than a short-term difference.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2009, 01:26:54 PM »
Nigeria banker fears son is alleged plane attacker
AP on Yahoo

Another Nigerian banking scam?  :evillaugh:

Offline Oceander

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2009, 02:10:52 PM »
Don't know if this has been commented on already, but this guy was apparently already in a terrorist database (run by Homeland security or the FBI - the NYT mentioned it, even as they were trying desperately to downplay this to deflect criticism from the Terrorist-in-Chief - aka Zero-bama).

Given that, how in God's name was this SOB allowed to board a U.S.-bound aircraft without being given a very, very, very detailed examination - the sort that even your proctologist won't give you unless you've got intestinal cancer?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2009, 02:15:17 PM »
Don't know if this has been commented on already, but this guy was apparently already in a terrorist database (run by Homeland security or the FBI - the NYT mentioned it, even as they were trying desperately to downplay this to deflect criticism from the Terrorist-in-Chief - aka Zero-bama).

Given that, how in God's name was this SOB allowed to board a U.S.-bound aircraft without being given a very, very, very detailed examination - the sort that even your proctologist won't give you unless you've got intestinal cancer?

I've heard that he was in the database, but not on the "watch list".  WTF???

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2009, 05:57:43 PM »
CBS news just said a little bit ago that he's "badly burned in the groin area" .....oops....that's going to create a problem with those 72 virgins.... :uhsure:

They also reported the explosive was most likely in a condom, in his underwear that had been adapted to hold the explosive.....basically the only way to have found it on him would to have done a strip search like police do.

What really makes me mad is that I get pulled over almost every single time I fly....but God forbid that any racial profiling causes a Middle Easterner to get checked out. Maybe they only profile short American grandmothers with red hair and green eyes.  ::)

Homeland Security needs to wake the hell up before we have another 9/11....these terrorists KNOW the chances of them being thoroughly checked is slim because Airport Security is too afraid of being accuse of profiling. The terrorists are NOT the stupid ones....WE ARE...
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2009, 06:13:57 PM »
Maybe they only profile short American grandmothers with red hair and green eyes.  ::)

The term "red headed step-child" didn't just come from nowhere, you know.  :p

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2009, 06:41:36 AM »
The DU commenter(s) didn't know enough about the incident to know that this moron flew from Nigeria (Do they even have airport security there? If so, how bribe-able, assuming they would even care to stop a terrorist?), but still shot their mouth (OK, keyboard) off. What a ... (yawn) ... shock ...

As this blog post points out, a lot of people got some 'splainin' to do. I doubt any of them will, though. There were at least three layers of security between this twerp and his perpetual virgins: 1.) the US State department, who gave a visa to a watch-list terrorist suspect; 2.) Nigerian airport security, who didn't give a sh__ or took $$ to be temporarily blind; 3.) Netherlands airport security - EuroLanders seem less than concerned when the possible bombers are outward bound. All three layers failed, at least from the POV of the passengers on that flight.

And, while passengers on that flight may have tried some DIY cosmetic surgery to improve the appearance of the would-be perp, his hospitalization is due to his self-inflicted burns (which may be the most serious punishment he'll receive).

Lagos, Nigeria, has consistently been on the shit-list for world's worst airport security, along with a few in the ME and even Athens still has major issues.  While the EU takes security seriously, they're not as intrusive as they are here, or at least such has been my experience.  Most of the BS we go through here is just stuff that is "feel good because it's visible but really is useless" crap.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Doc Savage

• Challenger of the Democratic faith
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2009, 07:47:56 AM »
They'll keep pulling 90 year old gray haired ladies out of line, or confiscating bottles of breast milk from moms with infants before they start profiling.

Maybe we have to hire the IDF to do our screening for us.  They do not have a problem profiling at all. 
You see, I don't care you how feel.  I really don't.  More importantly, neither does anyone else.  Only about 200 people on a planet of 7 billion actually care about your feelings, and that's if you're lucky.  The sooner you grasp this lesson, the better off you will be.  And since almost no one gives a damn what you do, say, think, or feel, appealing to your feelings when you encounter differences of opinion is not only illogical, but useless.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2009, 10:56:11 AM »
Sit down, well away from vessels containing liquids:

Napolitano: "The system worked"
Posted by Jonathan Martin 09:14 AM
Politico
DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano said that the thwarting of the attempt to blow up the Amsterdam-Detroit flight this week demonstrated that "the system worked."

Asked by CNN's Candy Crowley on "State of the Union" how that could be possible when the young Nigerian who sought to set off the bomb was able to smuggle explosive liquid onto the flight, Napolitano responded: "We're asking the same questions."
Words fail me ...
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2009, 11:00:17 AM »

PoliticoWords fail me ...

I heard that on Fox this morning. WTF is that woman thinking?  It's also being reported that this guy is a member of a wealthy, politically connected family in Nigeria.  The family was compared to the Kennedy-Shriver clan.  This could make things interesting in terms of how Lord Zero deals with this.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2009, 11:01:13 AM »
I heard that on Fox this morning. WTF is that woman thinking?  It's also being reported that this guy is a member of a wealthy, politically connected family in Nigeria.  The family was compared to the Kennedy-Shriver clan.  This could make things interesting in terms of how Lord Zero deals with this.

Ask BadCat about his former Gov if you want some REAL insight into what a mental midget she really is.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline SVPete

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2009, 11:04:33 AM »
Ask BadCat about his former Gov if you want some REAL insight into what a mental midget she really is.
What does he have against mental midgets that he would compare her to them? Seriously?

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2009, 11:12:02 AM »
What does he have against mental midgets that he would compare her to them? Seriously?

Well played sir.  :cheersmate:

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline SVPete

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2009, 12:13:43 PM »
AZ is one of several western states that have inflicted poor Gubers on themselves; OR is another. Then there's CA ... Davis the Gray made Pete Wilson look good ... and the Gubernator is making Davis the Gray look brilliant!

Offline bkg

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2009, 12:18:29 PM »
AZ is one of several western states that have inflicted poor Gubers on themselves; OR is another. Then there's CA ... Davis the Gray made Pete Wilson look good ... and the Gubernator is making Davis the Gray look brilliant!

I think you're spot on with that last statement. CA residents were passionate about getting a debt-increasing, large spender out of office when Davis was in power... and seem complacent (or at least less passionate) about the current situation with the current leadership. Seems odd to me.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2009, 12:27:21 PM »
I think you're spot on with that last statement. CA residents were passionate about getting a debt-increasing, large spender out of office when Davis was in power... and seem complacent (or at least less passionate) about the current situation with the current leadership. Seems odd to me.

I didn't think the problem with Gray Davis was spending, so much as his wheeling-dealing on the energy situation that led to roaming brownouts.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2009, 12:34:53 PM »

PoliticoWords fail me ...

I had Meet the Press on....I listened to her for the first three questions and had to turn it off.

It's Sunday after Christmas....I should not be thinking the thoughts that came to mind as she failed to answer the questions....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2009, 12:37:39 PM »
It was both. Davis the Gray had a large (~$7B-$10B IIRC) deficit. The Gubernator has brilliantly managed (mangled!) to triple that. And tried to get at least one R legislator recalled for wanting to cut spending rather than increasing taxes! It could have been different. If the Gubernator hadn't shoved in his schnozz into the 2003 recall late in the game, Tom McClintock would have become Governor, and he would have done very differently (he was a State Senator who knew the budget inside and out!). What I fear is that the Ds will run their standard-issue-idiot, and the Rs will either run a mo-o-o-o-oderate half-idiot or a conservative with mo-o-o-o-oderates picking up their toys and running home.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:52:33 PM by SVPete »

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2009, 12:38:52 PM »
They'll keep pulling 90 year old gray haired ladies out of line, or confiscating bottles of breast milk from moms with infants before they start profiling.

I'm not a 90 year old grey haired lady, but do have a knee replacement due to an auto accident. I can't tell you how angry I get every time we fly. The metal in the knee always sets off the metal detector and I'm patted down and spread eagled each flight. I hate to travel by air, especially when I see someone who goes right on through with no problems that escapes the embarassment because, God forbid, it would be profiling!!

Heard on Fox News this am that they're already saying it wasn't a plot, just one lone person.  :whatever:

Offline bkg

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2009, 12:41:53 PM »
It was both. Davis the Gray had a large (~7B-10B IIRC) deficit. The Gubernator has brilliantly managed (mangled!) to triple that. And tried to get at least one R legislator recalled for wanting to cut spending rather than increasing taxes! It could have been different. If the Gubernator hadn't shoved in his schnozz into the 2003 recall late in the game, Tom McClintock would have become Governor, and he would have done very differently (he was a State Senator who knew the budget inside and out!). What I fear is that the Ds will run their standard-issue-idiot, and the Rs will either run a mo-o-o-o-oderate half-idiot or a conservative with mo-o-o-o-oderates picking up their toys and running home.

I agree with your last statement. It seems epidemic amongst the parties these days.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2009, 02:05:06 PM »
That last sentence is, IMO, a summary history of the last 15-20 years of politics in CA. I'm not convinced that Fiorina or the lady who ran E-Bay will be that much better that the Gubernator. They're making some nice noises, saying some nice things, but he said pretty much the same things back in '03.

Sorry for my extreme violations of the Marquis of Threadbustery Rules!

My son almost always gets special attention from TSA. But he's an in-shape 20-something. My kids usually travel with laptops, and they always have to prove that those are really real. But they're also protection against accusations of profiling (aka Caucasian).

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »
Heard on Fox News this am that they're already saying it wasn't a plot, just one lone person.

And once again the MSM appears to be proven wrong.

Same flight tonight had to request police at the gate and a Nigerian man has been taken into custody.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2009, 04:03:47 PM »
If I saw an animal like that trying to light something on a commercial flight I was on, I'd slip my belt out in 1 second, wrap it around his neck and break it in 2 seconds.

Who needs a belt to break someone's neck?? Dammit Marine, you should know how to do that free handedly.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson