Author Topic: "Balloon boy" parents plead guilty  (Read 2208 times)

Offline jinxmchue

"Balloon boy" parents plead guilty
« on: November 12, 2009, 09:37:28 AM »
The parents of Fort Collins Balloon Boy Falcon Heene will enter guilty pleas in court Friday as part of a deal to avoid deportation to Japan for Mayumi Heene.

In a statement released early this morning, Heene attorney David Lane said Mayumi will plead guilty to false reporting to authorities, a misdemeanor, with a stipulated sentence to probation.

Father Richard Heene will plead guilty to attempting to influence a public servant, a felony, with a stipulated sentence to probation, according to the statement.

In the statement, Lane said Mayumi Heene is a citizen of Japan, so a felony conviction would result in her deportation. Mayumi Heene confessed, according to sheriff's investigators.

However, under the law, her statements could not be used against Richard Heene, Lane said, setting up the possibility she would have been convicted and deported, while Richard Heene may have been acquitted.

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20091112/NEWS01/91112005/Balloon-boy-parents-to-plead-guilty-Friday-mother-faced-deportation-to-Japan

-----------------------------------------

In a word, GOOD!!!!  Glad the authorities found a way to basically force the Heene's hand (i.e. the prospect of the mother's deportation).

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: "Balloon boy" parents plead guilty
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 09:57:34 AM »
Sorry, but I'm not so sure this will stop them from pulling a similar stunt again.

They got off lucky, and they know it.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:01:58 AM »
Sorry, but I'm not so sure this will stop them from pulling a similar stunt again.

They got off lucky, and they know it.

Who's going to believe them anymore?  Lie about your kid being in danger for a publicity stunt and no one will ever believe you again.

Offline Lady Texan

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 10:21:21 AM »
This really infuriates me.  Probation?  What kind of punishment is THAT?  He not only cost the taxpayers probably MILLIONS of dollars with that stunt, not to mention the pain of the people who were so concerned about that little boy, but the next time a child disappears, the incident may not get the attention it should because we (including the authorities) were fooled so badly by this guy's actions.

He should have gotten at least 6 months in jail.  And they DEFINITELY should take those kids away from those two nutcases.

Offline cottondress

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:23:21 AM »
They are getting off to easy...hope they will have to pay restitution for putting all those lives in danger and the disruption they caused.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 10:24:03 AM »
This really infuriates me.  Probation?  What kind of punishment is THAT?  He not only cost the taxpayers probably MILLIONS of dollars with that stunt, not to mention the pain of the people who were so concerned about that little boy, but the next time a child disappears, the incident may not get the attention it should because we (including the authorities) were fooled so badly by this guy's actions.

He should have gotten at least 6 months in jail.  And they DEFINITELY should take those kids away from those two nutcases.

At the bottom of the article, it says:

Lane noted in the statement that Richard Heene could be sentenced to 90 days in jail, and Mayumi, 60 days.

So apparently jail time is still a possibility.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 12:54:23 PM »
At the bottom of the article, it says:

So apparently jail time is still a possibility.

I dunno.  60-90 days of jail time seems pretty light.  There should be some type of consequence, for both of them.  I think they are getting off too easy.  That was A LOT of  money spent and time wasted. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 01:24:33 PM »
I dunno.  60-90 days of jail time seems pretty light.  There should be some type of consequence, for both of them.  I think they are getting off too easy.  That was A LOT of  money spent and time wasted. 

Sounds like he could face more--at least according to Channel 9:

In a statement released early Thursday morning, Heene attorney David Lane said Mayumi will plead guilty to false reporting to authorities, a misdemeanor, with a stipulated sentence to probation. She could face up to six months in county jail and a fine of up to $750.

Richard Heene will plead guilty to attempting to influence a public servant, a felony, with a stipulated sentence to probation, according to the statement. He could face two to six years in the Department of Corrections and a fine of up to $500,000.

That sounds a little better to me.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 01:42:51 PM »
Sounds like he could face more--at least according to Channel 9:

That sounds a little better to me.

I could deal with that. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »
CPS should be involved IMHO.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 02:19:11 PM »
CPS should be involved IMHO.

AMEN!  Those kids should not be the playthings of their parents anymore.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 02:22:46 PM »
Who's going to believe them anymore?  Lie about your kid being in danger for a publicity stunt and no one will ever believe you again.
If I was an alien teenager with the keys to my parent's UFO, I would start making appearences to these guys whenever they were alone.  Just for kicks.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 04:32:18 PM »
They are getting off to easy...hope they will have to pay restitution for putting all those lives in danger and the disruption they caused.

:yeahthat:

And I'll add that they should pay all the overtime that was needed.