Author Topic: 21 Venezuelan Polo Team Horses Suddenly Die in Florida Tournament  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Gratiot

WELLINGTON - When the horses began to falter, collapse and suffer, dozens of people came to their aid. And as the horses died around the polo field, strangers from the stands shared in the animals' last moments.

Few love their horses like they do in this small Florida village.

Even fewer have watched 21 prized polo horses, worth more than $2 million, mysteriously die in such a short period of time.

"I've been in the sport for 50 years and never been around something as tragic as this," said Peter Rizzo, Wellington resident and executive director of the United States Polo Association. "It's a bond that is close to marriage – it's different than a dog – it's an amazing thing and these horses were some of the best in the world."

SunSentinel.com

Offline Gratiot

Re: 21 Venezuelan Polo Team Horses Suddenly Die in Florida Tournament
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:29:09 PM »
 :bawl: :( Absolutely horrible, and unfortunately the culprit of their passing is still unknown.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 07:55:15 PM »
Wow, that's tragic.  Those poor horses. :(
More than a dozen local vets and vet technicians dropped everything and came to the field. They administered intensive therapy, including IV lines and fluids, and treated the horses for shock. The animals showed signs of pulmonary edema, which means fluid accumulated in their lungs, and cardiogenic shock, said Dr. Scott Swerdlin, a veterinarian with the Palm Beach Equine Clinic.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 08:10:35 PM »
Bio weapon trial run
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 09:09:50 PM »
Probably a performance enhancers gone bad.  All the horses were on the same team from a country with a communist dictator in charge.   I guess I'm just a cynic.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 09:18:18 PM »
My guess, they were poisoned...the stables are not too far from where my parents live...the american horses are very well taken care of...but these poor horses came from Venezuela...I suspect they're not taken care of as well. 
Then again, I hear even american race horses are euthanized if they do poorly in a race.....it's all about money...and if the horses don't produce, they're expendable....it's SICK and a tragedy.

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 09:56:06 PM »
My guess, they were poisoned...the stables are not too far from where my parents live...the american horses are very well taken care of...but these poor horses came from Venezuela...I suspect they're not taken care of as well. 
Then again, I hear even american race horses are euthanized if they do poorly in a race.....it's all about money...and if the horses don't produce, they're expendable....it's SICK and a tragedy.

It is sick, I agree. It is even more telling that the animal 'rights' groups like PETA are silent about what happens to horses who do not perform well.

As for this case, I agree. Likely poisoned.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 09:58:31 PM by Attero Dominatus »
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 11:45:27 PM »
Probably a performance enhancers gone bad.  All the horses were on the same team from a country with a communist dictator in charge.   I guess I'm just a cynic.

Sounds like you and me are riding on the same bus.  Maybe I watched Rocky IV too many times.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 01:22:01 AM »
It is sick, I agree. It is even more telling that the animal 'rights' groups like PETA are silent about what happens to horses who do not perform well.

As for this case, I agree. Likely poisoned.

PETA is deafeningly silent of what happens to 95% of the dogs and cats that enter their own "Animal Shelters".  What the hell makes you think that they'd find a voice for 21 horses that AREN'T on the Endangered Species List, AREN'T being deep fat fried by slave laborers for Colonel Sanders and his eeeeeeevil Corporate villians, and AREN'T having their carcasses skinned, turned into expensive clothing and sold in the finest habidashers.  If they can't throw red paint on it, ruin some family's meal with it, or go out in the woods and sit in the trees with it, the PETA 'tards aren't interested.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline djones520

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 05:34:18 AM »

I don't think it's that easy though.  I dated a girl who was into competition horsemanship.  She told me that the stables and stuff for horses like these are kept under pretty tight control, because you get these environuts who thinks it's better that these animals are dead then in human service.

My thoughts are kinda inline with Undies on this one.  For all the horses from that team to die like this, it had to have been something from home.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 08:56:12 AM »
I wonder how long before the little paratrooper blames the US.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 09:35:44 AM »
Where did you get this info from?
I have worked with horses for over 25 years with some of that time spent on the track. I have never seen a horse put down because it did not perform well.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 11:13:56 AM »
My wife watched some video of this on the news and pointed out that the vets were smearing burn cream on the downed horses nose blaze, which looked incredably burned.

There are any number of plants that will cause sun sensitivity that leads to extreme sunburn on white portions of animals and may cause the other symptoms.  Sheep that get into Saint Johns Wort will literally cook their skin off in dirsct sunlight afterwards.

Might have been really bad fodder or faulty vitamin suppliments in feed.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 11:22:52 AM »
I have worked with horses for over 25 years with some of that time spent on the track. I have never seen a horse put down because it did not perform well.

I don't know of any owner who would put down a horse who failed to win.  I use to have a quarterhorse we raced at Ruidoso.  I've been around throughbred and quarterhorse owners for years.  I've never known one who didn't have an emotional connection with their stable.   

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 12:46:15 PM »
Hugo Chavez won't allow anyone to talk......
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 01:24:17 PM »

That or poisoning.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 01:31:14 PM »
this was upon arrival??

heat stroke from being in those stalls all the way over??

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 01:38:59 PM »
My wife watched some video of this on the news and pointed out that the vets were smearing burn cream on the downed horses nose blaze, which looked incredably burned.

There are any number of plants that will cause sun sensitivity that leads to extreme sunburn on white portions of animals and may cause the other symptoms.  Sheep that get into Saint Johns Wort will literally cook their skin off in dirsct sunlight afterwards.

Might have been really bad fodder or faulty vitamin suppliments in feed.
Horses with white markings on their nose get sunburned just like humans do. Chances are it was zinc oxide. The same stuff you would put on your nose.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 01:46:35 PM »
I'm taking it one step further - I say Bush did it.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 05:21:01 PM »

It was on one of those Special Report News channels a few years back...Can't recall the source specifically...but I do HOPE you are right.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 05:49:48 PM »
It was on one of those Special Report News channels a few years back...Can't recall the source specifically...but I do HOPE you are right.
I am. Most go on to careers outside of racing or to the breeding shed. I have had the pleasure of working with ex-racers from the TB and standardbred tracks. Some of those polo ponies may have been to slow for the track but showed an aptitude on the polo field.
Touch of Class was ridden to the individual gold in the LA Olympics on 1984 was a former race horse that found her calling elsewhere.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 07:14:12 PM »
On further perusal my wife's medical opinion is that it was contaminated feed.  FWIW.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 01:04:55 PM »
I'm taking it one step further - I say Bush did it.

MIHOP!!!