Author Topic: 16 dead in US embassy attack in Yemen  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
16 dead in US embassy attack in Yemen
« on: September 17, 2008, 06:14:07 AM »

16 dead in US embassy attack in Yemen
Islamist militants have attacked the US embassy in the Yemeni capital Sanaa with a car bomb and rockets, causing "multiple casualties," an embassy spokesman said.

Sixteen people, including six soldiers, six militants and four bystanders, were killed in the twin car bombing, the interior ministry said.

The US embassy says none of its staff has been hurt.

Witnesses said gunmen raked the Yemeni police detachment outside the heavily fortified embassy compound before a suicide bomber blew up a car right by the entrance, setting off a fire.
He said several explosions had followed a "primary explosion" but he could not give any information about the nature of the secondary blasts.

A group calling itself Islamic Jihad in Yemen said in a statement that it carried out the attack and threatened similar strikes against the British, Saudi and United Arab Emirates missions in the Yemeni capital.

More

Offline Flame

Re: 16 dead in US embassy attack in Yemen
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 06:49:37 AM »
Six soldiers, from what country?  I would assume if they were ours they would have said that in the article?   Either way, we need to retaliate, IMO.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 06:57:30 AM »
Six soldiers, from what country?  I would assume if they were ours they would have said that in the article?   Either way, we need to retaliate, IMO.
...or we could send the obamessiah to talk to them.   :fuelfire:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 10:26:42 AM »
I'm sure he could have a lovely little chat with them. I suspect we're going to see more of this before the election. I hope people have the good sense to see in times of greyt danger, the junior senator from Illinois won't be the right person for the job.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 10:38:42 AM »
I'm sure he could have a lovely little chat with them. I suspect we're going to see more of this before the election. I hope people have the good sense to see in times of greyt danger, the junior senator from Illinois won't be the right person for the job.

DUmpster MIHOP Conspiracy theories start in 3...2...1...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 11:05:23 AM »

Almost certainly locals.  Embassy guards are Marines, not Army.  The only Army personnel around an embassy are (depending on the country) an officer or two on the military liaison mission team, and possibly some spooky commo/computer/SF types who are, ummmm, not really working for the 'Army,' if you catch my drift.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 12:53:05 PM »

there were no american casualties, and 6 of the 16 dead were the attackers.

BEIRUT, Lebanon — Heavily armed militants opened fire on the United States Embassy in Sana, Yemen, on Wednesday and detonated a car bomb at its gates, in an attack that left at least 16 people dead including six of the attackers, Yemeni officials said.

No Americans were killed or wounded in the blast or when guards began to return fire, said a Yemeni official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter.

Yemeni security officials and witnesses said the death toll was at least 16, including four bystanders, one of them an Indian woman. The other dead were six attackers and six security guards, the Yemeni officials said, speaking in return for anonymity because they were not authorized to brief reporters.

Link

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 02:08:55 PM »
Too bad is wasn't all 16 killed are attackers.  I expect to see more of this until the elaction at least. There is no doubt in my mind that NYC, Chicago, Boston are all very high on the islamofascist hit list too. I hope to hell that we've got THAT door firmly closed.