Author Topic: French Scientist's 'Distant Star' Photo Makes a Valid Point About Fake News  (Read 319 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Ever since the James Webb Space Telescope began sending incredible photos of the universe back to earth, scientists, clergy, and ordinary citizens have been awestruck at the sharpness and the detail of images from the $10 billion telescope.

French physicist Étienne Klein used his time on the telescope to image our closest stellar neighbor, Proxima Centauri.

The image garnered thousands of “likes” and retweets. “This level of detail,” Klein wrote. “A new world is revealed day after day.”

But what “world” was revealed? As it turns out, Klein had tweeted out a photo of a slice of sausage.

No one should feel embarrassed about being tricked. Klein was trying to make a point about “fake news” and was more successful than he could have imagined.

An appeal to authority is usually considered fallacious in academic circles, but it happens every day in political life. “Some study” claims this or that, or “this expert” supports a particular point of view. It’s all part of the fabric of propaganda we’re bombarded with every day.

PJ Media LINK
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
I read that story and busted a gut.

Shared it with Mrs. E who is a closet astronomer. She couldn't believe it.

Something tells me Mr. Klein isn't going to get any more time on the James Webb telescope.  :lmao:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
But ...but ...but ...DON'T QUESTION THE SCIENCE! [/DUmbass]  :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus