Author Topic: What's in, and out, of Democrats' inflation-fighting package  (Read 304 times)

Offline CC27

Star Member Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (87,181 posts)

What's in, and out, of Democrats' inflation-fighting package

WASHINGTON (AP) — What started as a $4 trillion effort during President Joe Biden’s first months in office to rebuild America’s public infrastructure and family support systems has ended up a much slimmer, but not unsubstantial, compromise package of inflation-fighting health care, climate change and deficit reduction strategies that appears headed toward quick votes in Congress.

Lawmakers are poring over the $739 billion proposal struck by two top negotiators, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and holdout Sen. Joe Manchin, the conservative West Virginia Democrat who rejected Biden’s earlier drafts but surprised colleagues late Wednesday with a new one.

What’s in, and out, of the Democrats’ 725-page “Inflation Reduction Act of 2022” as it stands now.

LOWER PRESCRIPTION DRUG COSTS

Launching a long-sought goal, the bill would allow the Medicare program to negotiate prescription drug prices with pharmaceutical companies, saving the federal government some $288 billion over the 10-year budget window.

-more-

https://apnews.com/article/inflation-biden-health-climate-and-environment-7a267eeea21af0f44318e6b9d888c36c
MichMan (7,177 posts)

1. There are some worthwhile things in there, but I dont understand how it fights inflation?

Continuing ACA subsidies that were already there, reduction of drug prices for people on Medicare that will save the government money, and electric car subsidies.

How does that lower inflation for the average working person and their families?

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216978698

Careful there DUmmie...

Offline 67 Rover

Re: What's in, and out, of Democrats' inflation-fighting package
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 02:05:43 PM »
MichMan (7,177 posts)

1. There are some worthwhile things in there, but I dont understand how it fights inflation?

Continuing ACA subsidies that were already there, reduction of drug prices for people on Medicare that will save the government money, and electric car subsidies.

How does that lower inflation for the average working person and their families?

I will explain it to you like you are Joe Biden.

IT DOSEN'T.  :mad:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 02:22:19 PM »
What 's in democrats' inflation-fighting package

I'll give you a hint: It starts with 's' and rhymes with 'hit'.

Offline Karin

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 02:24:44 PM »
It only got 2 recs and just the one reply from Michman.  Where's the cheerleading and enthusiasm? 

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 04:10:26 PM »
Meh whos worried about the economy when we have this genius squatting in the White House.  I swear to God, no joke!

God help us all.  :banghead:

"Biden: "The difference between having a 5% raise in the face of inflation, price at the pump although that's down every day so far but it's like, woah, I feel worse off but then again, I didn't get a check for $8 grand from the government. Does that make sense to anybody?""

NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 04:31:24 PM »
It only got 2 recs and just the one reply from Michman.  Where's the cheerleading and enthusiasm?

They realized that there are no more stimulus checks.  :whatever:

Offline jukin

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 05:48:36 PM »
In short, what is in this scam bill is super inflation inducing federal spending, super increased federal taxes for the middle class (ultra rich, poor, and illegals exempt), and immediate further economic recession leading to a depression.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 05:58:44 PM »
In short, what is in this scam bill is super inflation inducing federal spending, super increased federal taxes for the middle class (ultra rich, poor, and illegals exempt), and immediate further economic recession leading to a depression.

In that respect, it isn't a scam at all - it's an inflationary pork sandwich gift-wrapped to that turd Manchin, who made heaven only knows what deal to sign off.  I sincerely hope people are stocking dry goods and whatever they can fit in their
freezers for the misery that is yet to come. By the end of the year I expect looting in grocery stores as prices spike again and millions are laid off and it's too late to rejoin the workforce.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 08:21:20 PM »

In that respect, it isn't a scam at all - it's an inflationary pork sandwich gift-wrapped to that turd Manchin, who made heaven only knows what deal to sign off.  I sincerely hope people are stocking dry goods and whatever they can fit in their
freezers for the misery that is yet to come. By the end of the year I expect looting in grocery stores as prices spike again and millions are laid off and it's too late to rejoin the workforce.
Misery index makes a triumphant return?
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)