Author Topic: Californians and other Americans are flooding Mexico City. Some locals want the  (Read 515 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216975099

New thread, but it's showing promise!   :lmao:

Tweet text:

Kate Linthicum
@katelinthicum
·
Follow
Mexico City is being flooded by Americans -- including legions of remote workers drawn by cheaper rents.

They're transforming classic neighborhoods, the housing market and even racial dynamics.

More and more, locals are asking them to please go home.
MEXICO CITY - JULY 06: Cafe-goers sit at Quentin Cafe, a coffee shop popular with Americans and remote-workers in the Condesa neighborhood on Wednesday, July 6, 2022 in Mexico City. (Celia Talbot Tobin for the Times)
latimes.com
Californians and other Americans are flooding Mexico City. Some locals want them to go home
Americans tourists and remote workers are gentrifying some of Mexico City's most treasured neighborhoods. Backlash is growing.
7:54 AM · Jul 27, 2022

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2022-07-27/americans-are-flooding-mexico-city-some-mexicans-want-them-to-go-home

No paywall
https://archive.ph/hPF3n

MEXICO CITY — Fernando Bustos Gorozpe was sitting with friends in a cafe here when he realized that — once again — they were outnumbered.

“We’re the only brown people,” said Bustos, a 38-year-old writer and university professor. “We’re the only people speaking Spanish except the waiters.”

Mexico has long been the top foreign travel destination for Americans, its bountiful beaches and picturesque pueblos luring tens of millions of U.S. visitors annually. But in recent years, a growing number of tourists and remote workers — hailing from Brooklyn, N.Y., Silicon Valley and points in between — have flooded the nation’s capital and left a scent of new-wave imperialism.

The influx, which has accelerated since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and is likely to continue as inflation rises, is transforming some of the city’s most treasured neighborhoods into expat enclaves.

In leafy, walkable quarters such as Roma, Condesa, Centro and Juarez, rents are soaring as Americans and other foreigners snap up houses and landlords trade long-term renters for travelers willing to pay more on Airbnb. Taquerias, corner stores and fondas — small, family-run lunch spots — are being replaced by Pilates studios, co-working spaces and sleek cafes advertising oat-milk lattes and avocado toast.

*snip*

geardaddy (23,665 posts)

3. International gentrification

And if they stay, they should learn Spanish!

It reminds me of Brits (read English) setting up enclaves in Spain and other parts of Europe and essentially not making any attempts to integrate at all.

I agree, they should learn Spanish.  Just like those coming here should learn English.

DakotaSnow (16 posts)

7. Yep

I have traveled and lived worldwide. I've seen racisms everywhere, from everyone. It is hardly unique to the US or Caucasians, unfortunately. I think humans are just very tribal in nature. Us vs Them.

Deep State Witch (8,480 posts)

6. Maybe Mexico Should Build A Wall

And make America pay for it?

EX500rider (8,094 posts)

9. Except I doubt most of them are there illegally nt

What?!  Are you saying Trump was right?!

EX500rider (8,094 posts)

10. Ha!

98% of all Mexican emigrants reside in the United States, which are more than 10.9 million (documented and undocumented) migrants. Guess it's now a 2 way street.

Ursus Rex (72 posts)

11. AirBnB et al are a plague.

I mean, I'm not quite at "one house for everyone before has two" - I have no problem with vacation houses, etc, and even renting them out time to time to help pay AND let someone enjoy them - but those services are genuinely, negatively impacting ownership and neighborhood character far too widely.

Zeitghost (1,628 posts)

12. Where am I?

Complaints about immigrants.
Complaints about them not speaking the native language.
Complaints about them disrupting the racial makeup of the area.
Complaints about them not assimilating.

Is this DU? Or did I stumble upon some rightwing hate site?

:rotf:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Well, to put a stop to this, I suppose we could go back to the Middle Ages and even before, when all but a microscopic few ever went more than five miles from their birthplace during their whole life.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
Well, to put a stop to this, I suppose we could go back to the Middle Ages and even before, when all but a microscopic few ever went more than five miles from their birthplace during their whole life.

That's what they want for us common folk, Coach.

Better to fully utilize the capabilities of lamp posts.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline RuralNc

Cue the hypocrisy, over at the DUmp.

Offline landofconfusion80

That's what they want for us common folk, Coach.

Better to fully utilize the capabilities of lamp posts.
Maybe they could set up small territories, districts if you will...the coastal elites could plan to extract a lucky few to participate in some sort of festivities or games...what fun!!
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
Maybe they could set up small territories, districts if you will...the coastal elites could plan to extract a lucky few to participate in some sort of festivities or games...what fun!!

A few years back, there was a show called "Revolution", in which programmable nanites, weaponized, and present in the atmosphere and environment everywhere, shut down all electrical energy world wide.

And of course, select elites had the keys to turn them on and off and could run their computers, vehicles, and infrastructure. Oh, and of course, the first thing they did was ban everyones guns.

It occurs to me that pricing people out of energy is quite the same, when the rubber meets the road, as shutting it down.

This wont end well.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline freedumb2003b

Zeitghost (1,628 posts)

12. Where am I?

Complaints about them not speaking the native language.
Complaints about them disrupting the racial makeup of the area.
Complaints about them not assimilating.

Is this DU? Or did I stumble upon some rightwing hate site?

2 out of 3. It IS DU. And it IS a hate site.

You are just now seeing the truth.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline DUmpDiver

2 out of 3. It IS DU. And it IS a hate site.

You are just now seeing the truth.

Yep. Hate site for sure. And they mostly hate America and Americans.

The irony with this post is that many DUmmies threaten to emigrate if a prez they don't like gets elected.

Offline SVPete

geardaddy (23,665 posts)

3. International gentrification

And if they stay, they should learn Spanish!

It reminds me of Brits (read English) setting up enclaves in Spain and other parts of Europe and essentially not making any attempts to integrate at all.

Millions of illegals flooding the US, GOOD, a few ten thousand Americans in Mexico or a few ten thousand Brits in Spain, BAD. How Animal Farmish.

Though I do agree that those intending to stay in those countries would find life far easier if the learn the main language of the country, whether Spanish in Mexico and Spain or English in the US. Which my grandparents did, BTW, when they came here from Russia.

DakotaSnow (16 posts)

7. Yep

I have traveled and lived worldwide. I've seen racisms everywhere, from everyone. It is hardly unique to the US or Caucasians, unfortunately. I think humans are just very tribal in nature. Us vs Them.

MIRT Alert! MIRT Alert! Newbie committing truth!!!

Deep State Witch (8,480 posts)

6. Maybe Mexico Should Build A Wall

And make America pay for it?

Somebody is unaware of Mexico's Constitutional restrictions on land ownership by foreigners.

EX500rider (8,094 posts)

9. Except I doubt most of them are there illegally nt

Heresy! Moderator! Snap! Snap! Moderator! Snap! Snap! Snap! Snap! :rotf:

Zeitghost (1,628 posts)

12. Where am I?

Complaints about them not speaking the native language. Since many of these Americans are there for business, it is very likely that man/most do speak Spanish. Because that's how their employers would choose people for such a role.
Complaints about them disrupting the racial makeup of the area. In Prog circles, racial integration is so 20th Century, :rotf: !
Complaints about them not assimilating. Assimilation is obligatory for some and racist if demanded of others. Deal with it Comrade!

Is this DU? Or did I stumble upon some rightwing hate site? DU is a leftwing hate site. Conform, Comrade!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 08:25:28 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.