Author Topic: The White House is pointing out that the US isn't really in a recession  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216963969

17 hrs ago
867-5309.
The White House is pointing out that the US isn't really in a recession

...Should the Thursday report show output shrinking again, debate around the economy's health will quickly intensify. The rule-of-thumb definition of a downturn has long been back-to-back quarters of negative GDP. The coming data release could very well show just that, but the White House is already explaining why defining a recession requires much more nuance.

For one, the National Bureau of Economic Research has much more stringent criteria for deciding when a recession starts, members of the White House Council of Economic Advisors wrote in a Thursday blog post. The organization — which serves as the semi-official authority for deciding when business cycles start and end — defines a recession as "a significant decline in economic activity that is spread across the economy and lasts more than a few months." It also considers factors such as employment, consumer spending, and industrial production.

That looser definition makes it less likely the US is actually in an economic slump, the team said. The variables the NBER tracks have shown "strong growth" since the start of the pandemic and continued to improve through the first half of 2022. The unemployment rate remains a historically low 3.6%, and monthly job creation in the second quarter handily surpassed the pre-pandemic trend...

https://www.businessinsider.com/white-house-biden-recession-gdp-economic-report-2022-7

Expect some gloom and doom recession talk in the media. They will fail to see the big picture.

Anything to support the narrative. Don’t like what’s coming down the pike?  Change what it’s called or change how it’s measured then call anyone who disagrees a moron because you don’t understand ‘nuance’.

:rotf:

PSPS
2. The traditional idea of a "recession" isn't applicable here. This is a unique situation.
For one thing, we're still in a pandemic (despite the media's advertising-driven charade of it being otherwise) and its effect on the workforce, supply chain, etc. Another thing is the Russian invasion and war causing widespread food and energy shortages. This is a combination without any history as a guide.

A third thing is the low unemployment rate. One key indicator of a recession is high unemployment. Recessions never have low unemployment.

My admittedly amateur opinion is that this is all a symptom of pandemic-driven speeding up the movement to a new kind of economy. It would have happened over then next twenty years anyway but was compressed into a year or two because of the pandemic. Office space vacancy is still high with no signs of improving (Amazon has started cancelling office projects in the works) and people have come to prefer, even insist on, working at home (the employers wanting to return to normal are relenting due to enormous pushback from their employees as well as potential new hires.)

Gotta love that liar. We’re not in a pandemic, but since it believes we are I have a question.  WHY do you think we’re in a pandemic?  Joe promised to “stop the virus” and he’s been in office for a year and a half. How long does it take?  How many variants has he let in?  And what the hell, now we’ve got Monkey Pox!!  We didn’t have Monkey Pox when Trump was President!

Fun, short thread.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
This is supposed to be a week of bad economic news, the Biden administration taking some pretty bad hits.

It's going to be interesting, to watch how the primitives spin it all.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SVPete

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DUmpDiver

Joe promised to “stop the virus” and he’s been in office for a year and a half. How long does it take?  How many variants has he let in?

It's Trump's fault because the Trump vacs that Joe has been forcing on people do not prevent transmission.

/DU

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Quote from:
PSPS

A third thing is the low unemployment rate. One key indicator of a recession is high unemployment. Recessions never have low unemployment.

That's not even close to being true.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline ADsOutburst

Merriam-Webster to change their definition in 3, 2, 1...

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
Save this thread, because pretty soon, they'll be posting pieces from far left nutter sources which opine that 'Yes, we're in a recession, and it's a good thing'.

And they'll be agreeing, like the morons they are.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline freedumb2003b

Merriam-Webster to change their definition in 3, 2, 1...

They changed the definitions of "pedophile" and "senile." Why not "recession?"
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

'Recessions' are all about inferior minds in Government. 

So this week will be a tentacles-furiously-thrashing embarrassment for DU.   

Offline 67 Rover

They changed the definitions of "pedophile" and "senile." Why not "recession?"

Add in the changed definition of vaccine and woman as well.

People aren't going to buy it when foreclosures shoot up, wages stagnate, homes and cars become unaffordable due to double digit interest rates, and groceries become unaffordable that is when you can actually find what you are looking for on the bare shelves. :mad:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline jukin

Orwell's Newspeak is on full display with the democrat-communist party in charge.

Look the BS economics board already changed the definition of recession under Preezy Shit Midas to be that the two quarters of negative GDP had to be increasingly negative. IOW 1Q 2022 is -1.6% and 2Q 2022 is -1.5% NO RECESSION but if 2Q 2022 is -1.7% then recession... until they change definition again. So you know the first print of 2Q 2022 is going to be less than -1.6%. Second print will be higher (-1.8%), and the third print even higher. (-2.3%).

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Vagabond

I think the primary reason for low unemployment up until now is not being considered.  The biggest economic event of 2020 was that some point in that year, more baby boomers were retired than working.  The Boomers are the largest generation in history.  The workers replacing them are from the smallest generation in history.  That alone is enough to cause labor shortages in an average market. 

I think that the coming data this week is going to be a disaster.  Democrats are going to be the party that pays the price for it politically.  All of the out of control money printing is going to come back to bite us all in a minute.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Maybe they can rebrand their way out of it. Let’s help them.

Instead of recession how about … Financial Opportunity Season … for those who can afford it.

Or

Pluscession. It’s just like a recession but it sounds more friendly.

Whatchya got. Let’s help them.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

I'm paying ~50% more for gasoline, and prices at stores are also up. I find those realities more interesting than whether the economy is in a recession or in a ham sandwich.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
These people are damn delusional. The economy SUCKS BALLS. Wait until the fall harvest and don't say I didn't warn you. I'm on the supply side of the industry. WE.ARE.****ED. Basic damn 13-13-13 with NO minors was $338 per ton a year or so ago. $862 now. Glyphosate, pretty much the cheapest non-selective herbicide out there, was $360 per 30gl. It's now over $1000. Produce farmers use a lot but hay farmers (think cattle) use a TON of it before planting because they can do a total kill on all weeds before planting and there is no residual. You've already talked about fuel prices. This is the worst economy in my lifetime.
-
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
These people are damn delusional. The economy SUCKS BALLS. Wait until the fall harvest and don't say I didn't warn you. I'm on the supply side of the industry. WE.ARE.****ED. Basic damn 13-13-13 with NO minors was $338 per ton a year or so ago. $862 now. Glyphosate, pretty much the cheapest non-selective herbicide out there, was $360 per 30gl. It's now over $1000. Produce farmers use a lot but hay farmers (think cattle) use a TON of it before planting because they can do a total kill on all weeds before planting and there is no residual. You've already talked about fuel prices. This is the worst economy in my lifetime.
-

What is this wizardry you’re talking?!

I heard the guy up there in New York, state there was no wizardry in farming. You dig a hole, put a seed in it, water it, harvest it.

Where they hell are you getting YOUR information?!

/DU mode.

KC

*Stolen

Offline RuralNc

-

I can kinda sorta relate. At least as a business person.

Im a Baker. I run a small Bakery Business. The prices at wholesale have been creeping up for months and months. Flour. Chocolate. Butter. Oh dear lord, butter. Its about 3 times the price it was a year or so ago. Eggs. Milk. Cheese. Its absolutely ridiculous.

Wholesale can fluctuate a good bit. Its a while before the prices hit the regular grocery store. Then people throw a fit, wondering what happened.

Offline landofconfusion80

-
My oldest just started hay this year. He's into his equipment for about 2k. I hope he can break even this fall on square bails
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline SVPete

Ya know all that stuff we manufacture and import from Asia? It gets here, largely, by ship. I doubt that ship's fuel has held steady in cost, and it takes a while for ships to cross the Pacific. So several weeks of additional inflation is somewhere on the ocean, not yet arrived.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
I'll repeat this analogy tomorrow when the ###'s come out, but our economy is comparable to a football game.  Say your favorite QB has thrown for 400 yards, your star running back rushed for 200, and your team still lost the game. They conveniently ignore the 5 interceptions thrown, 4 lost fumbles (including 1 for a touchdown), and missed three field goals.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
I'll repeat this analogy tomorrow when the ###'s come out, but our economy is comparable to a football game.  Say your favorite QB has thrown for 400 yards, your star running back rushed for 200, and your team still lost the game. They conveniently ignore the 5 interceptions thrown, 4 lost fumbles (including 1 for a touchdown), and missed three field goals.

This is a convenient metaphor, which I'll extend: DUmmies are Raider fans. They could not care less about the game, and have only a passing interest in the outcome. Even though their side gets in its own way and perennially sucks, they still hoot and howl and dress and carry on as though their side is undefeated. 
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.

This is a convenient metaphor, which I'll extend: DUmmies are Raider fans. They could not care less about the game, and have only a passing interest in the outcome. Even though their side gets in its own way and perennially sucks, they still hoot and howl and dress and carry on as though their side is undefeated.

Such an apt comparison.

DUmmies=Raiders fans:

They throw snowballs with D batteries and/or rocks in them during snow games, and they do it with a smile.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline 67 Rover

The White House is pointing out that the US isn't really in a recession

This is true according to the new Merriam-Webster definition.  ::)

Thanks Brandon bunch.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
This is true according to the new Merriam-Webster definition.  ::)

Thanks Brandon bunch.

"Claiming the US is in a recession is transphobic." - I promise you all that is coming.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Online Old n Grumpy

It's no a recession it's simple mafamaticks, people can't afford to buy what they need. :thatsright:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!