Author Topic: Gulliver Gets Taken Behind The Wood Shed - When virtue signalling goes wrong  (Read 449 times)

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216941759

Mon Jul 18, 2022, 09:16 PM
Star Member gulliver (12,330 posts)

Was the good guy with the gun really a good guy, or was this just another AR-15 murder spree?
I don't accept the "well, there's an example of a good guy with a gun," storyline. It doesn't hold water. I think we should at least try to untwist it before we have a bunch of the people who really deserve nothing but blame taking bows and basking in self-generated praise.

Three people were killed by a 20-year-old, nutty, broken young man using an assault rifle (Sig Sauer Model 400, supposedly). Isn't that just another murder spree to lay at the feet of the people who can't see the need for sensible gun control? It sure fits the pattern.

But what about the good guy, the hero?

Sorry. We don't know enough about him yet. It would be ironic if the "good guy" turns out to be an anti-gun-control absolutist who loves AR-15s. He might be a hero in that moment at the mall, while, simultaneously, unwittingly at 22, being an enabler-level accomplice to the crime.

On edit: And even if the young man turns out to be a clear hero (and I hope he does), that doesn't mean the guys who sing his praises and can't see their way to sensible gun control are heroes too. Their claim is only to the role of enabler.

Response to gulliver (Original post)Mon Jul 18, 2022, 09:40 PM
ForgedCrank (751 posts)

1. Why all the

negativity toward a man that potentially saved dozens of lives including his own?
It does hold water. This 22 year old asked for nothing other than to remain anonymous and private. Where do you see him "taking bows" and "basking in self-generated praise"? He didn't even want anyone to know who he was but someone has now leaked his name.

This guy just had to kill another human in self-defense and will probably have nightmares for the rest of his life. He chose that instead of being shot dead by a freak while other bodies piled up.
Why would it even be important what the "good guy" position is regarding gun control? The only thing we need to know about him is if he was an accomplice or not, and the FBI determined he was not. And he didn't have an AR-15, he had comparatively anemic 9mm pistol on him, nothing more.

Response to ForgedCrank (Reply #4)Mon Jul 18, 2022, 10:08 PM
SickOfTheOnePct (5,863 posts)

5. Yep

I find it odd that some people are upset this kid killed the murderer.
If he hadn’t been there and 30-40 people had been killed, we would instead have the snarky “where was the good guy with a gun to stop the slaughter?”

Response to gulliver (Original post)Mon Jul 18, 2022, 10:09 PM
Star Member Demsrule86 (60,537 posts)

6. That is kind of ridiculous. Personally, I am glad the shooter was stopped.

Response to gulliver (Original post)Mon Jul 18, 2022, 10:19 PM
Star Member Raine (28,293 posts)

9. He wasn't the first citizen to stop a mass shooting
and he won't be the last I'm sure. I'm just glad he was in the right place at the right time and saved much grief for many families.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 09:28:52 PM by FunkyZero »

Offline DUmpDiver

he had comparatively anemic 9mm pistol on him, nothing more.

The DUmmie was doing great until this statement. 9mm rounds are quite lethal, hardly "anemic."  In fact, the highest fatality school shooting in US history, Virginia Tech, was committed by a shooter using a Glock 9mm pistol and a Ruger 22 pistol.

Not to mention the fact that pistols are used to commit far more homicides than rifles.

IMO, the reason the ARs are used in so many school shootings is that the MSM always fixates on them and pretty much advertises ARs to nut jobs as the weapon of choice. If ARs are banned then shooters will just use another type of firearm. And if guns are banned altogether then nut jobs will just find another method to kill people.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
The DUmmie was doing great until this statement. 9mm rounds are quite lethal, hardly "anemic."  In fact, the highest fatality school shooting in US history, Virginia Tech, was committed by a shooter using a Glock 9mm pistol and a Ruger 22 pistol.

Not to mention the fact that pistols are used to commit far more homicides than rifles.

IMO, the reason the ARs are used in so many school shootings is that the MSM always fixates on them and pretty much advertises ARs to nut jobs as the weapon of choice. If ARs are banned then shooters will just use another type of firearm. And if guns are banned altogether then nut jobs will just find another method to kill people.

I've always said that once they ban everything we will be down to the sharp pointy stick debates.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline ADsOutburst

IMO, the reason the ARs are used in so many school shootings is that the MSM always fixates on them and pretty much advertises ARs to nut jobs as the weapon of choice.

I think you're right. The amount of exposure it gets makes the problem worse. The people who carry out these mass shootings don't strike me as the type who chose a weapon by thinking critically about what weapon was best.

Offline landofconfusion80

I've always said that once they ban everything we will be down to the sharp pointy stick debates.

KC
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline SVPete

There's a lot of is caliber of round powerful enough backing-and-forthing bandied about the I'net, and ForgedCrank seems aware of it and have a POV thereon. With proper shot placement, a .22 LR or .25 ACP will be lethal. Or a sharp stick.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
There's a lot of is caliber of round powerful enough backing-and-forthing bandied about the I'net, and ForgedCrank seems aware of it and have a POV thereon. With proper shot placement, a .22 LR or .25 ACP will be lethal. Or a sharp stick.

seems to me the subtle operative is there

comparatively anemic 9mm

The takeaway is I think Gulliver is probably wishing he hadn't made that post. He's getting beat up pretty good for the most part.

Offline 67 Rover

Caliber plays less of a role in lethality than holding the gat sideways, that way the bullet is 90deg sideways and creates a greater wound channel as it blows your lungs out.  :-)
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Caliber plays less of a role in lethality than holding the gat sideways, that way the bullet is 90deg sideways and creates a greater wound channel as it blows your lungs out.  :-)
The bullets will also feed better from the clip at that angle too.  :)
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant

KC

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen