Author Topic: Rattled and shaken after seeing open carry in a grocery store  (Read 2326 times)

Offline JakeStyle

Rattled and shaken after seeing open carry in a grocery store
« on: December 22, 2015, 06:25:59 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10027468406

Tue Dec 22, 2015, 05:48 PM

cynatnite (28,068 posts)

It's been a long time since I've been to DU, but I needed a place to talk about something that happened tonight when I was getting a few items to finish out our Christmas dinner.

My area recently got a new Walmart Neighborhood Market. I know many here aren't fans of Walmart as a whole for understandable reasons. I remained a shopper nonetheless.

That all changed as of a few minutes ago.

While I was shopping I passed by a gentleman in the store and happened to glance down. He had a handgun strapped to his belt. He was not a police officer. I know what those holsters look like and this had elastic bands. Not only that, the man was extremely overweight and he wasn't wearing anything to signify he was any part of law enforcement.

The further I got from him, the more upset I got. I brought my grandchildren to the store. I spoke with a young woman who said she was a manager. She shrugged off my concerns as if it was nothing. I decided to not finish the shopping and went to check out. The cashier saw how upset I was and I told her about it. She wanted to know what the man looked like because it upset her as well. As I was leaving, she spoke to another person who looked more like a manager than the young woman from before.

I got to my car and I was pretty near crying. I came home and called corporate about this only to find out they have practically zero policy when it comes to open carry. I was still pretty upset on the phone with the woman I spoke with. She said she was sending my concerns up to the higher ups which I doubt will do any good.

We're in the South and have been here for a while now. As conservative, rebel flag waving and Obama hating as they get around here, I've never seen anyone blatantly open carry like this before. My sister is like that and she has enough common sense not to do something like this.

I'm an Army veteran. I've been around guns for much of my life. My husband is a hunter. We have a hunting rifle in the house. I'm not a woman that rattles easy, but this shook me to my core and I'm still quite upset.

All I can think of is my grandchildren and all the shootings that are now so common. I just can't bring myself to take my grandchildren to any Walmart store knowing they allow this.

Anyway, I've been gone quite a while and I could use some hand-holding or something right now. This shook me more than I ever imagined it would.

Thanks

:rant:

Response to cynatnite (Original post)

Tue Dec 22, 2015, 06:11 PM

nadinbrzezinski (142,301 posts)

20. You are right to be upset

and if that was a cop with a proper holster. What you described sounds like a type I holster, which most law enforcement shies away from for very solid and good reasons. Guns are easy to lose in a fist to cuffs. And losing your gun might not be the best of ideas.

I would not go back either.

But then again, posts like yours remind me why, with warts and all, I like a state with better gun regulations.

Happy holidays, merry christmas, and have a good one.

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
OMG. OMG. OMG. DUmmie having the vapors over open carry at Walmart.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 06:37:52 PM »

cynatnite (28,068 posts)

It's been a long time since I've been to DU, but I needed a place to talk about something that happened tonight when I was getting a few items to finish out our Christmas dinner.

My area recently got a new Walmart Neighborhood Market. I know many here aren't fans of Walmart as a whole for understandable reasons. I remained a shopper nonetheless.

While I was shopping I passed by a gentleman in the store and happened to glance down. He had a handgun strapped to his belt. He was not a police officer. I know what those holsters look like and this had elastic bands. Not only that, the man was extremely overweight and he wasn't wearing anything to signify he was any part of law enforcement (So? did he whip his gun out and start shooting? Bet not since you were able to post on this horrific act).

The further I got from him, the more upset I got. I brought my grandchildren to the store. I spoke with a young woman who said she was a manager. She shrugged off my concerns as if it was nothing. I decided to not finish the shopping and went to check out. The cashier saw how upset I was and I told her about it. She wanted to know what the man looked like because it upset her as well. As I was leaving, she spoke to another person who looked more like a manager than the young woman from before. (So, if I, as a private citizen, could go online and buy and official looking security uniform and wear that while wearing a gun, you'd be ok with that?)

I got to my car and I was pretty near crying (You special flower) I came home and called corporate about this only to find out they have practically zero policy when it comes to open carry (Maybe because they follow local gun laws?). I was still pretty upset on the phone with the woman I spoke with. She said she was sending my concerns up to the higher ups which I doubt will do any good.

We're in the South and have been here for a while now (Then move. I suggest the south side of chicago. It's a gun free mecca don'tchaknow). As conservative, rebel flag waving and Obama hating as they get around here, I've never seen anyone blatantly open carry like this before. My sister is like that and she has enough common sense not to do something like this. THEN MOVE. We don't need your liberal a*s down here. Go back where you came from. Delta is ready when you are.

I'm an Army veterann (You lie). I've been around guns for much of my life. My husband is a hunter. We have a hunting rifle in the house. I'm not a woman that rattles easy, but this shook me to my core and I'm still quite upset.

All I can think of is my grandchildren and all the shootings that are now so common. I just can't bring myself to take my grandchildren to any Walmart store knowing they allow this.

Anyway, I've been gone quite a while and I could use some hand-holding or something right now. This shook me more than I ever imagined it would. Grow some balls you freakin wimp.

Thanks

Pro, sarcastic, and con at the link
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline I_B_Perky

Re: Rattled and shaken after seeing open carry in a grocery store
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 06:38:49 PM »
cynatnite (28,068 posts)

While I was shopping I passed by a gentleman in the store and happened to glance down. He had a handgun strapped to his belt. He was not a police officer. I know what those holsters look like and this had elastic bands. Not only that, the man was extremely overweight and he wasn't wearing anything to signify he was any part of law enforcement.

The further I got from him, the more upset I got. I brought my grandchildren to the store. I spoke with a young woman who said she was a manager. She shrugged off my concerns as if it was nothing. I decided to not finish the shopping and went to check out. The cashier saw how upset I was and I told her about it. She wanted to know what the man looked like because it upset her as well. As I was leaving, she spoke to another person who looked more like a manager than the young woman from before.

I got to my car and I was pretty near crying. I came home and called corporate about this only to find out they have practically zero policy when it comes to open carry. I was still pretty upset on the phone with the woman I spoke with. She said she was sending my concerns up to the higher ups which I doubt will do any good.

We're in the South and have been here for a while now. As conservative, rebel flag waving and Obama hating as they get around here, I've never seen anyone blatantly open carry like this before. My sister is like that and she has enough common sense not to do something like this.

I'm an Army veteran. I've been around guns for much of my life. My husband is a hunter. We have a hunting rifle in the house. I'm not a woman that rattles easy, but this shook me to my core and I'm still quite upset.

Anyway, I've been gone quite a while and I could use some hand-holding or something right now. This shook me more than I ever imagined it would.

Thanks

Cool story. In Walmart? Check. Overweight pistol carrier? Check. Management did not care? Check.  Army vet? Check. Been around firearms all her life? Check. Female. Check!

I doubt any of it was true.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 06:45:20 PM »
Ooooh, that's too bad...too bad it didn't give you a fatal heart attack, that is.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Just in case you forgot: Proglodytes are pussies. Bonus Nad-ism
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 06:51:30 PM »
cynatnite (28,068 posts)

Thanks

tblue37 (17,554 posts)

57. People who pointedly open carry when there is no good reason to have their own

reasons. They are not scared--they are deliberately vein to intimidate other people. It is a swaggering, d**k swinging dominance display. Ironically, most people who have to display dominance this way do so because they don't *feel* dominant. They feel helpess and beat down by the modern world, its social and political changes, and its economy. That is also why Trump's bullying bluster appeals to them.

Vinca (25,643 posts)

5. I would react the exact same way.

I would also make a point of telling whoever is in charge that it would be the last time my dollars were spent in their store because I feared for my safety. This happened at our local hardware store and the open carry guy made a stink when they invited him to leave. There's now a "no guns allowed" sign on the door. I really don't get it. Are artichokes and onions so threatening a person must go grocery shopping ready to open fire on any holiday-shopping grandma who makes a wrong move?

You should also tell them you don't want to be seen shopping with Jews.

gratuitous (52,106 posts)

19. This is my position, too

Drop a letter in the mail to the Wal-Mart, noting the time, date and every other detail you can remember of the incident. Explain that you have historically shopped at the store, but his incident has you so shaken that you're unlikely to shop there anymore, and that you'll tell your friends and relatives to think twice before going to that store.

You don't have to be judgmental, talk only about your own feelings and impressions, and be sure to hit the point that this is likely going to cost the store money (which is a language they are very fluent in).

icymist (10,463 posts)

18. I understand what you are saying and I feel for you.

I had a similar experience in a Kroger store. It was a gentleman who look like he was in his sixties and was open carrying a pistol in a holster attached to his belt. He stood there smiling at me when I noticed his gun. I sighed, shrugged, and left the store.

Why do people feel the need to open carry in all parts of our society? Your guy, is most likely, scared. All this stupid talk being passed around about how all certain people only want to kill us all is making people crazy. The guy I saw probably has good intentions, but I don't know that. I'm a member of a sexual minority that has had life and home threatened by anonymous cowards who are afraid of others not like they are!

Your granddaughters deserve more than to see a society so afraid of itself that it thinks it needs to carry arms to a grocery store!

Die, pedo.

and if that was a cop with a proper holster. What you described sounds like a type I holster, which most law enforcement shies away from for very solid and good reasons. Guns are easy to lose in a fist to cuffs. And losing your gun might not be the best of ideas.

I would not go back either.

But then again, posts like yours remind me why, with warts and all, I like a state with better gun regulations.

Happy holidays, merry christmas, and have a good one.

California has limited open carry, you idiot.

aksptth (50 posts)

31. Would concealed carry be better?

An Army Vet rattled and shaken by the sight of a holstered gun? Not sure I'm feeling this. You'd probably be more shocked by the number of people around you concealed carrying.

With that said, I'm am not at all sure about either the need or the wisdom of open carry. A responsible gun owner would avoid open carry like the plague. If something were to happen and a potentially violent situation occur putting lives at risk, nothing puts a target on you like an openly visible defensive weapon.

Open Carry people are doing it as a political statement. Carrying deadly weapons as a political statement ought to be a disqualifying attitude in and of itself. Choosing to carry defensive weapons is a responsibility and not to be undertaken either lightly or irresponsibly.

Hoyt (22,337 posts)

33. Concealed toters are just as bad, and the cowboy/hero bit is more likely to get

innocent people killed. Responsible/rational people don't need a gun strapped to their body to go to the store.

Grab your can of beans and disarm me, faggot.

pnwmom (66,474 posts)

48. She's rattled because she KNOWS that it's an aggressive STATEMENT to openly carry.

It's a way of saying "watch out" and "F U" at the same time.

Hoyt (22,337 posts)

32. You've encountered the typical American gun fancier, likely a white winger afraid of

anyone not like him. Plus, he enjoys intimidating people.

More complaints and derision will have a long-term impact.

Grab your can of beans and disarm me, racist faggot.

sonofspy777 (145 posts)

38. You're right this is not the wild west

You shouldn't have to fear for your grandchildrens' lives!

Hekate (32,184 posts)

40. I'm so sorry it has come to this level of homegrown terrorism. Hugs to you and your g'kids...

I'm glad you dropped by. Believe me, I would feel the same way.

mwrguy (2,408 posts)

44. Call 9-1-1

Report a man with a gun.

UTUSN (40,675 posts)

55. Another vet here, & you speak for me excellently. J'ever notice how the gunnutters are chickenhawks

Their perfect poster boy is John WAYNE the draft dodger and actor of fantasy life. Why don't they go fight ISIS instead of patrolling J.C.Pennys with AK-47s?!1

All these Proglodytes claiming gun owners are chickenhawks but no Proglodytes are racing up to disarm gun owners.

alcibiades_mystery (33,052 posts)

56. Leave, don't buy anything, and tell the manager why

People of good conscience need to exit from the demented culture of the gun hobbyists. Vote with your feet, since our politicians are craven cowards to the gun lobby.

Manifestor_of_Light (20,018 posts)

58. Texas is getting open carry as of January 1st.

And I don't know what I'm going to do the first time I see somebody open carry in a store. Probably "Nope the **** out of there" which is internet speak for "voting with your feet".

Businesses can opt out and put up a sign not allowing guns. However, at this point I don't know what businesses are going to ban open carry and which ones aren't. The OP is very scared and I understand that reaction. OP has been in the Army. I have never been around guns and am not comfortable around them and don't know anything about shooting them. I have not been in the military.

Who needs to shoot you idiots when your own "vote with your feet" rules would leave you starving to death.

doc03 (15,773 posts)

59. It is not just the south I have seen some fools here in Ohio with

open carry weapons. It is not against the law here so someone has to do it to show their manhood. There is
this guy that stops at the carry out to get coffee and he parades around with his gun just wanting someone to say something about it so he can give his 2 Amendment speech. I think he has the short mans
syndrome

So, go get him.

MisterP (19,689 posts)

63. they're just showing who's in charge--anyone can deputize themselves now

they're not defending from tyranny, they're enforcing it

You scared, bro?

Paladin (13,466 posts)

66. Unfortunately, that open carry prick elicited just the response he wanted from you.

Open carry has nothing to do with serious personal protection---training-based concealed carry covers that. What open carry is about is blatant public intimidation and a desire for armed altercation; profoundly sick thinking at work. You did exactly the right thing by getting the hell out of that guy's area, and you did the right thing by reporting the matter to business personnel. Sorry for the unfortunate incident, but it sounds like you did an admirable job of handling it.

Fleeing the area was the right thing to do?

How many who did not flee died that night?

Any estimates on the body count?

idiots

According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 06:51:42 PM »
DUmb scrunt should have called 911 on the guy. That would have taught him to be such a meany and follow the law.

Seriously, I have never heard of a mass shooting occurring that starts out:

This  guy was just walking around open and legally carrying his gun in a holster and suddenly he whipped it out and started shooting people.

Until that happens, these delicate little flowers need to move to states without open carry laws.

Offline Delmar

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 07:03:29 PM »

The nerve of some people, open carrying blatantly.

Blatantly open carry.

Man, these DUmmies are stupid.

For lurking primitives:
If somebody is carrying a gun openly, then that is open carry.
If the gun is kept concealed under the clothing, then that is concealed carry.

"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 07:05:57 PM »
mwrguy (2,408 posts)

44. Call 9-1-1

Report a man with a gun.

Yes, and get yourself arrested for filing a false report.
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 07:11:33 PM »
Man, this bouncy sure sounds an awful lot like this one:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10023305313

Offline Maverick1987

• M o l o n L a b e
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 07:13:03 PM »
It was probably his schlong. Those are still conceal carry only (as far as I know).

Gnads --->. "fist to cuffs"  :rotf:
Deplorable since 2016

Offline Ogre

• What Cat?
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 07:36:10 PM »
A bad bouncy, no cops, conversions, bushes, or applause.

If by the slightest chance it is true, then I really don't see how the left is ever going to take our guns.

The sight of holstered weapon allegedly almost made s/he/it piss their pants, and I suspect s/he/it isn't the only DUmmy that would react this way.

Imagine s/he/its reaction to a weapon that wasn't holstered, probably defecate right there on the spot.
"Don't argue about difficulties. The difficulties will argue for themselves."  - Winston Churchill

"Get some lumber, build a bridge, and get the hell over it" - Unknown

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 07:41:19 PM »
A bad bouncy, no cops, conversions, bushes, or applause.

If by the slightest chance it is true, then I really don't see how the left is ever going to take our guns.

The sight of holstered weapon allegedly almost made s/he/it piss their pants, and I suspect s/he/it isn't the only DUmmy that would react this way.

Imagine s/he/its reaction to a weapon that wasn't holstered, probably defecate right there on the spot.

Soiling themselves is their defense mechanism. 

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 07:43:05 PM »

My, my, my...

It certainly do.

:hi5:

I'm an Army veteran

Liar.

Manifestor_of_Light (20,018 posts)

58. Texas is getting open carry as of January 1st.

And I don't know what I'm going to do the first time I see somebody open carry in a store.

You have your choice.  Choose.....
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:47:46 PM by 98ZJUSMC »

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 07:45:57 PM »
Great way to clear out the express line I guess, DUmmies scurrying everywhere leaving you all alone to check out.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 07:52:16 PM »

and if that was a cop with a proper holster. What you described sounds like a type I holster, which most law enforcement shies away from for very solid and good reason  ::)    

Oh. please.....

Make my day..........

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 07:53:57 PM »
It was probably his schlong. Those are still conceal carry only (as far as I know).

Gnads --->. "fist to cuffs"  :rotf:

It's been awhile since she served up a new gNadism... and just in time for Christmas!
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 08:01:49 PM »
What a MFing *****. He and her alike.   

Offline thundley4

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 08:04:07 PM »
KamaAina (69,734 posts)
7. Cleanup on Aisle 4!

I like this.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 08:39:25 PM »
Yet any mention of being concerned about muzzie savages that have sworn to kill is mocked as "what are you scared of?"

:whatever:

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 08:40:53 PM »
"cynatnite"???? This idiot has over 28k posts and this is the first I've heard of her.

OMG, she's not going to be able to scurry anywhere.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 08:45:17 PM »
"cynatnite"???? This idiot has over 28k posts and this is the first I've heard of her.

I think she used to go by "slutatnight".  :whistling:  :rofl:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 08:53:43 PM »

I've seen her posts over the years, but not for some time.  She may have been fairly inactive for the recent past.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 09:24:55 PM »

Yep.  And they call us lemmings?   :mental:

Just for the dummies... lots of people around here open carry. Not a one, zero, zilch, nada, have ever been charged with a crime of any kind.  All races.  However the obumbles sons seem to go to jail for illegally possessing a firearm, concealed at that, in fairly great numbers.  Why is that, you might ask? Because they all have felony convictions!!!!

Does that make me a racist? So be it.  Now you dummies with your bouncies can FOAD.

Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 09:42:03 PM »
Behold the liberal revolutionary.

Offline whiteguyPI

• That sounds like a "you" problem
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 09:45:51 PM »
I've got a plan for all these wilting flowers to get over their fear of Americans exercising their rights. Any time they see someone open carrying, they just need to tell themselves it's a "Syrian widow" or "Orphan" and all their fears should melt away. King Putt has assured them there is nothing to fear from them.
Haji don't surf!
Jive turkey!