Author Topic: DU reverse racism, caught dead to rights. Rock good, Seinfeld bad.  (Read 2611 times)

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
cbdo2007 (7,350 posts)

Jerry Seinfeld Says...College Kids Don't Understand Racism Or Sexism

Jerry Seinfeld Says Colleges Are Too Politically Correct, Kids Don't Understand Racism Or Sexism

The Huffington Post | By Cavan Sieczkowski

Posted: 06/08/2015 10:55 am EDT Updated: 1 hour ago

College kids are too politically correct for Jerry Seinfeld.

The comedian spoke to ESPN Radio host Colin Cowherd for an episode of "The Herd with Colin Cowherd" to promote the latest season of "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee," and the two talked about political correctness and comedy. Cowherd commented how comedians like Chris Rock and Larry the Cable Guy won't perform at college campuses for this very reason.

"I hear that all the time," Seinfeld said. "I don't play colleges, but I hear a lot of people tell me, 'Don't go near colleges. They're so PC.' I'll give you an example: My daughter's 14. My wife says to her, 'Well, you know, in the next couple years, I think maybe you’re going to want to be hanging around the city more on the weekends, so you can see boys.' You know what my daughter says? She says, ‘That’s sexist.’ They just want to use these words: 'That’s racist;' 'That’s sexist;' 'That’s prejudice.' They don’t know what the f--k they’re talking about.”

The 61-year-old star said this hurts comedy, and commended Louis C.K., who recently landed in hot water over his "Saturday Night Live" monologue about child molestation, for not worrying and just doing his thing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/08/jerry-seinfeld-college-politically-correct-racism-sexism_n_7534978.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Time to play compare and contrast...

Anyone remember this?

hack89 (30,613 posts)

Why Chris Rock no longer plays colleges
What do you make of the attempt to bar Bill Maher from speaking at Berkeley for his riff on Muslims?

Well, I love Bill, but I stopped playing colleges, and the reason is because they’re way too conservative.

In their political views?

Not in their political views — not like they’re voting Republican — but in their social views and their willingness not to offend anybody. Kids raised on a culture of “We’re not going to keep score in the game because we don’t want anybody to lose.” Or just ignoring race to a fault. You can’t say “the black kid over there.” No, it’s “the guy with the red shoes.” You can’t even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive.

When did you start to notice this?

About eight years ago. Probably a couple of tours ago. It was just like, This is not as much fun as it used to be. I remember talking to George Carlin before he died and him saying the exact same thing.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/11/chris-rock-frank-rich-in-conversation.html

It is hard for comedians in a world where you can't offend anyone.

Original DUmp thread from Dec 2014

Now then. Here's what they're saying about Seinfeld:

malthaussen (6,745 posts)
1. How many colleges are there in the country?

What proportion of the rising generation attends them? Mr Seinfeld is a comedian, does he expect his generalization to be taken seriously?

-- Mal

Star Member truebrit71 (19,570 posts)
7. And he's STILL not funny...

..never 'got' him as a comedian..His stand up is marginally better than his below-par tv show, but only just...

Erich Bloodaxe BSN (8,444 posts)
6. Seinfeld has it exactly backwards.

He's the one that apparently doesn't understand sexism or racism. When his kids point out that he's being sexist, he just blows it off as 'PC'.

Star Member DirkGently (10,651 posts)
15. Seinfeld's not the nicest, brightest, or most ethical guy.

Dated a 17-yr-old school kid when he was in his ... late 30s?

When his new wife wrote a successful book about "sneaking vegetables into kids' foods," with many striking similarities (down to the recipes) to one written previously by a little-known author, he went on Letterman to make fun of the woman who wrote the first book for suing, chuckling about how she had "three names, like a serial killer" or some such.

I've seen him online as himself on a forum about Porsches (a great passion of his) and the first time anyone tries to be amusing, he's ready with "Please don't try to be funny."

Nasty guy, near as I can tell. Nice he got lucky with the chemistry on his television show and make krazillion bucks, but Jerry Seinfeld is probably not someone who needs to be giving anyone advice on what constitutes either humor or good taste.

And so on. Not all that supportive of Seinfeld.

Let's now see what they had to say when Chris Rock said the same thing....

hifiguy (22,474 posts)
2. One of the keys of good comedy,

from Groucho Marx, to Lenny Bruce, Dick Gregory, Mort Sahl, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, and Lewis Black is confronting the audience with wittily, sometimes harshly, observed unpleasant truths about human nature and behavior. Mr. Rock is correct.

Derek V (532 posts)
3. "Freedom of speech means nothing if it does NOT mean the freedom to offend"

I don't know who said that, but s/he hit the bullseye!

Kalidurga (7,606 posts)
7. sometimes you have to offend people to get them to think

sure most won't get passed the fact that they are offended, but some will think it over and get it.

Sen. Walter Sobchak (6,637 posts)
13. I know several comedians who don't either

Too many cancellations, too much bad press and social media garbage that just perpetuates whatever they were accused of.

One guy gets protested and harassed for something he didn't even say and was just mistakenly attributed to him online.

Let me sum up:

Chris Rock said colleges are too PC. DU by and large agreed with him.

Jerry Seinfeld said colleges are too PC. DU by and large ridiculed him.

Questions?
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Their intellect is skin deep, their hate is to the bone.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Because Seinfeld is a Jew?
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline thundley4

Because Seinfeld is a Jew?

Or white. 50/50 either way for the DUmp.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
Brings to mind another (D)ipshit hate target:

Charlton Heston (who was among the first in Hollyweird to march for Civil Rights being championed by the Republicans first, (D)idiots) -

[(D)Ummie]
 "nasty...., "evil......", "terrible actor....."
[/(D)Ummie]

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
So, one selectively chosen group of DUers thought that Seinfeld is out of touch, and another selectively chosen group agreed with Rock. That's reverse racism? If these were the same people, I'd get it, but they aren't.

:shrug:

Life isn't a set of randomized clinical trials, dipshit. The general tenor of the Seinfeld thread is 'Seinfeld sucks.' The general tenor of the Rock thread is 'Rock is right.'

I don't see anyone on the Seinfeld thread vehemently defending his stance, nor do I see anyone on the other vehemently ridiculing Rock.

You use less information from CC threads to draw similar conclusions about us, moron.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable

Life isn't a set of randomized clinical trials, dipshit. The general tenor of the Seinfeld thread is 'Seinfeld sucks.' The general tenor of the Rock thread is 'Rock is right.'

I don't see anyone on the Seinfeld thread vehemently defending his stance, nor do I see anyone on the other vehemently ridiculing Rock.

You use less information from CC threads to draw similar conclusions about us, moron.

Fairly clear, I thought.  Perhaps Buzzy just thinks differently....    :whistling:

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
So, one selectively chosen group of DUers thought that Seinfeld is out of touch, and another selectively chosen group agreed with Rock. That's reverse racism? If these were the same people, I'd get it, but they aren't.

Actually Bob...what it shows is how your brethren at the DUmp tailor there answers to the persons skin color.

Rock and Seinfeld said the exact same thing about college campi these days.

It highlights perfectly how you Liberals base everything...and I do mean everything on race gender and sexual orientation...and your thoughts on a certain subject are dictated by those categories.

Not surprised that you don't get it.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

Brings to mind another (D)ipshit hate target:

Charlton Heston (who was among the first in Hollyweird to march for Civil Rights being championed by the Republicans first, (D)idiots) -

[(D)Ummie]
 "nasty...., "evil......", "terrible actor....."
[/(D)Ummie]

Heston also had the guts to break what was then an unwritten Hollywood taboo by appearing in an interracial love scene in his movie 'The Omega Man.' The lefties who dragged his name through the mud his last decade or so of life conveniently forgot about that.
Another reason why Rock got a pass and Seinfeld doesn't is their comedy styles: Seinfeld specializes in inoffensive, relatively harmless observational humor. Rock, in contrast, uses "Edgy" humor that liberals love in his stand- up material: By this I mean, cursing like a drunken sailor, obscene toilet humor, relentless race- baiting, and the old "Yo, white people, they be all like (Insert dorky, genuinely racist stereotype here)" routine.
It's similar to why libs also adore Dave Chappelle, as his "Humor" is pretty much identical to Rock's.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable

Heston also had the guts to break what was then an unwritten Hollywood taboo by appearing in an interracial love scene in his movie 'The Omega Man.' The lefties who dragged his name through the mud his last decade or so of life conveniently forgot about that.
Another reason why Rock got a pass and Seinfeld doesn't is their comedy styles: Seinfeld specializes in inoffensive, relatively harmless observational humor. Rock, in contrast, uses "Edgy" humor that liberals love in his stand- up material: By this I mean, cursing like a drunken sailor, obscene toilet humor, relentless race- baiting, and the old "Yo, white people, they be all like (Insert dorky, genuinely racist stereotype here)" routine.
It's similar to why libs also adore Dave Chappelle, as his "Humor" is pretty much identical to Rock's.

Somebody posted somewhere, that they used to call Seinfeld: "Safe Sets".

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: DU reverse racism, caught dead to rights. Rock good, Seinfeld bad.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 05:51:19 PM »

Welcome to the conundrums of identity politics pandering your party needs and lives on.

Reality is calling you buzzy.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 05:57:44 PM »

In Chappelle's defense, he goes after pretty much everybody, much like Redd Fox did in his day....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u__W0Qa8v0k[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRZN7IzvCVs[/youtube]
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 09:12:39 PM »

If you read through both DU threads entirely, you'll see that the OP has a valid point - The Chris Rock thread decidedly swings in favor of his opinion, whereas the Seinfeld thread doesn't - even though both comedians feel the same way regarding playing to colleges. Now, it is 'possible' that each thread attracted users with differing opinions on the same subject.. But I'd suggest to you that the odds of that happening are fairly small. So, something else seems to be at play. The question is, "what ?"..

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 05:22:27 AM »
In Chappelle's defense, he goes after pretty much everybody, much like Redd Fox did in his day....

One of the best lines I've ever heard by Foxx at the end of one of his shows.  He said:

"I didn't come here to offend, merely to perform and entertain.  If anyone out there was offended, go, leaving, knowing this.  If you were offended, I DON'T GIVE A SHIT!!!"
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 06:39:23 AM »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u__W0Qa8v0k[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRZN7IzvCVs[/youtube]

Yeah, people said that. But I think using that about 'Chappelle's Show' and its popularity (I personally only found the show marginally funny) reveals the hypocrisy of liberalism, especially as it pertains to both race relations and the entertainment industry.
Take, for instance, another comedy show that was popular around the same time: The 'Blue Collar TV' show (I personally never really watched that show, but that's besides the point). That was a show that routinely made fun of white people, portraying them as dumb hillbillies. However, what do you think would happen if that show featured a sketch in which Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy appeared in blackface and said something like "Yo, I like eatin' fried chicken and listenin' to Tupac! I'm gonna go smoke some crack, rob a liquor store, and rape a teenage white girl, fo'shizzle!"? I know what would have happened: The show would have been cancelled in a heartbeat, and none of the people involved in it would have ever worked in show business again. In contrast, 'Chappelle's Show' regularly had Dave appearing in whiteface and spouting equally offensive and racist stereotypes about white people (As the very 'Reparations' video you put up evidenced, featuring Dave in whiteface as a dorky white news anchor), and people declared him a comedy genius for it.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 06:48:45 AM »
Yeah, people said that. But I think using that about 'Chappelle's Show' and its popularity (I personally only found the show marginally funny) reveals the hypocrisy of liberalism, especially as it pertains to both race relations and the entertainment industry.
Take, for instance, another comedy show that was popular around the same time: The 'Blue Collar TV' show (I personally never really watched that show, but that's besides the point). That was a show that routinely made fun of white people, portraying them as dumb hillbillies. However, what do you think would happen if that show featured a sketch in which Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy appeared in blackface and said something like "Yo, I like eatin' fried chicken and listenin' to Tupac! I'm gonna go smoke some crack, rob a liquor store, and rape a teenage white girl, fo'shizzle!"? I know what would have happened: The show would have been cancelled in a heartbeat, and none of the people involved in it would have ever worked in show business again. In contrast, 'Chappelle's Show' regularly had Dave appearing in whiteface and spouting equally offensive and racist stereotypes about white people (As the very 'Reparations' video you put up evidenced, featuring Dave in whiteface as a dorky white news anchor), and people declared him a comedy genius for it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjuCx2EQt1k[/youtube]
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 07:35:33 AM »

There is a reason I call buzzy an obtuse ****.
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 08:55:12 AM »
Life may not be a set of randomized clinical trials, but if you don't have the same people in your comparison, then your claim of "reverse racism dead to rights" is simply wrong. I realize that this board is all about extreme hyperbole, but it doesn't mean you're correct.

Bullsh*t. You could no more prove that point than you proved your initial point. (Calling out individuals is one helluva lot different than painting an entire group of people with a single stroke.)

I could run sentiment analysis on those samples and have a substantive discussion with other scientists, you nertz. The support of the distribution of opinion on the Seinfeld thread hardly coincides with the support of the distribution of sentiment on the Rock one, despite Seinfeld citing Rock in his story.

Buzz, among your many problems is that you come and insult the intelligence of an entire community, with the idea that you MUST be smarter merely because you disagree. Disagreement only means that you disagree, but you inflate it to unearned presumptions of superiority and authority. While this is what morons do, the class of morons contains almost all liberals. You seem to equate calm with reason, and restraint with lucidity, when neither is the case. Good for you: you don't post unlike a bull in a china shop. That does not imply that you are not a bullSHITTER in a china shop, alas.

My original blandishment - that you can blow me - is still on the table.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 09:10:17 AM »
I feel like I just wandered into a dorm room discussion sober at two in the morning.  As I pointed out in another thread it can be difficult determining the difference between DU and Stormfront on any given occasion.  Barney the Socialist vs Jerry the Comedian, one advances their goal the other does not.  One good, the other bad.  Both from New Jerk and Jewish.  Linear thinking (or blind acceptance of dogma) at its finest.

Thought for the day:
And that's why I've said that liberals are never so happy as when they're
unhappy, and never so unhappy as when they're happy; because if you get what you want,
then you're not happy. You really enjoy suffering more than you do pleasure.
Hubert Humphrey
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 10:11:22 AM »
Buzz, among your many problems is that you come and insult the intelligence of an entire community, with the idea that you MUST be smarter merely because you disagree. Disagreement only means that you disagree, but you inflate it to unearned presumptions of superiority and authority.

There must be something in the ink on a PhD that causes this condition.  Buzzy is the second over educated DUmbass to wander in the door who thinks that their mere presence is enough to overwhelm those that disagree with them. 

The mind reels at the thought of what it must be like to live under such delusion...
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840