Author Topic: DU you know?  (Read 10541 times)

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: DU you know?
« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2012, 01:37:46 PM »
U.S. Bridges, Roads Being Built by Chinese Firms
Cities hire Chinese instead of American workers for building projects.

This video is from a few months ago, wonder why it never got much publicity?
I think that started around 150 years ago with the transcontinental railroad.

It's why the Cartwrights were able to hire Hop Sing.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2012, 05:24:36 PM »
Went out to dinner tonight, packed restaurant, Fox News was on the TV :lmao: no gnashing of teeth, no demands to change the station, I actually think if someone suggested it they'd have a fight on their hands, everyone just enjoying their dinner and didn't give a hoot what was on the TV.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2012, 04:50:55 AM »
Went out to dinner tonight, packed restaurant, Fox News was on the TV :lmao: no gnashing of teeth, no demands to change the station, I actually think if someone suggested it they'd have a fight on their hands, everyone just enjoying their dinner and didn't give a hoot what was on the TV.

Saturday night, about 8:00 p.m., I went out to supper with the femme, to a restaurant famous for its pizza.  We asked for, and got, a booth in the dark, isolated corner of the dining room, so as to be away from the “noise” (noise to me) of all the movement, color, and light of the main dining area.

But alas despite the lateness of the hour, soon after we were seated, a couple of guys, mid-twenties, were seated in the adjacent booth.  I was sitting facing them; they were to the femme’s back.  She later told me, judging from their conversation, that they were from Minnesota, and Democrats.

I didn’t know this at the time, sensing only that they were bad news, bad company, and wishing they’d gone to McDonald’s or something.  To make a long story short, I let the femme deal with it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2012, 09:01:33 AM »
I can't recall ever hearing a political conversation in a restaurant.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2012, 09:05:39 AM »

Or even wanting to.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2012, 09:23:46 AM »

After watching several seasons of Kitchen Nightmares I find I infrequently visit resturants anymore.  And lets not even get started on public bathrooms. :thatsright:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2012, 10:46:37 AM »
Same here. It's always in grocery checkout lines, or in a doctor's exam room.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2012, 11:25:34 AM »
Same here. It's always in grocery checkout lines, or in a doctor's exam room.

Funny you should type that.  Last thursday, I had an appointment to check on my GERD and some inflammations in my esophagus (they haven't progressed--yay!) with a 40-something female PA.  Pretty woman.  Anyway, we got talking about something with my insurance, and I said something to the effect of, "Yeah, they won't pay for prescriptions over a longer period due to Obamacare."  I wasn't sure just what the response would be . . . turns out that she thinks exactly like I do.  I tend to think that she was supporting Romney over Gingrich, due to the marital situation, but when I explained the acronym ABBO to her (Anybody But Barack Obama) to her, she liked it.  She said that whoever won the Republican primary death-match, she'd be supporting.  (Hopefully, she's spreading that acronym around her office.)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2012, 12:46:55 PM »
I usually don't hear political conversations at all out in public, but I did have a conversation with a Doctor discussing Medicare regulations and he said it reads like the "communist manifesto" and he said "Obama and Biden are idiots", of course I agreed. :-)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »
One of the Harvard professor’s [Elizabeth Warren's] many well-compensated part-time gigs included consulting for Travelers Insurance. I know that it is hard to believe that on one hand, Democrats would be bashing an industry, and on the other hand they are making money from it. To be a Democrat is to be a hypocrite.

What did Lizzy do to earn $44,000 in compensation from the insurance company? She made it harder for claimants to collect. Warren helped establish the bankruptcy strategy for companies to avoid crushing lawsuits. In short, go bankrupt to avoid paying victims.

In court briefings, she supported the effort to protect Travelers Insurance from future lawsuits after agreeing to a $500 million settlement with asbestos plaintiffs.

http://bostonherald.com/news/columnists/view/20220130insurance_past_should_sink_lizzy/srvc=home&position=also
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2012, 08:09:16 PM »
Signatures of all those who want to recall Walker were released, here's the link to them:

http://webapps.wi.gov/sites/recall/default.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fsites%2Frecall%2FRecall%20Petitions%2FGovernor&FolderCTID=0x01200044C3FE66B345E0409188D04555A38D8A&View={60B98C4A-B379-485C-8307-123B1E3F39CB}

So far, from FR, some inconsistencies found were these:

I randomly selected one selection and noticed the same address but different room numbers for many people.
Googling the address I discovered it was a college dorm.

Googling the address of the petition circulator I discovered she lived in a $600,000 house in Madison, WI.

The address used was in Greendale, WI. It is the address of a Walker contributor whose name and address appear on contribution reports for the Friends of Scott Walker

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2012, 08:10:46 PM »
BTW, do the people who signed the petition have any idea that their names and addresses and the petitions themselves are on the internet?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2012, 08:23:03 PM »
BTW, do the people who signed the petition have any idea that their names and addresses and the petitions themselves are on the internet?

The GAB bowed to pressure from the ACLU and removed them, but not before other people snagged them.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2012, 08:31:28 PM »
Or even wanting to.

I did, once.  At the Perkins in Tomah, Wisconsin before the kerfluffle in Madison started.  A couple of guys in their early twenties that obviously leaned left, and also obviously recently out of college.  I eavesdropped a bit, got bored, and then started flirting with the waitress.  Alas, there was no cop jumping out of the bushes.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2012, 09:18:12 PM »
The GAB bowed to pressure from the ACLU and removed them, but not before other people snagged them.

Oh, so the link I posted is from someone who grabbed it?

BTW, how come they bow to pressure for this but the left was all for releasing the names of contributors who voted Yes on Prop 8 in California?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2012, 09:20:48 PM »
Oh, so the link I posted is from someone who grabbed it?

BTW, how come they bow to pressure for this but the left was all for releasing the names of contributors who voted Yes on Prop 8 in California?

Different politics, different rules.  Same goes for their idea of free speech.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »
What is a Conservative Hippie?

A conservative hippie is one who finally grew up:

Peace and love are still important to a conservative hippie but the conservative hippie grew up and realizes it sometimes takes bombs and guns to bring real peace.

A conservative hippie is one who wishes that peace could be obtained with talks but realizes it is not always possible.

A conservative hippie is one that desires to see the defenseless defended.

A conservative hippie believes the rights of oppressed women in other nations are just as important as those in America.

A conservative hippie is one that appreciates women having rights but realizes it is hypocritical to not allow the unborn babies to have their rights to live.

A conservative hippie will not wear pink and go around protesting war, when there are women in other nations that need to be set free from evil men.

A conservative hippie is one that still has a fondness of the music from the era of the 60s’ and 70s and refuses to compromise calling the music of today every bit as good. It is not.

A conservative hippie is one that has gone from expecting government to fix problems to one of getting things done for themselves.

A conservative hippie has gone from trusting government to trusting their fellow man.

A conservative hippie has more faith in their fellow man than they do government.

A conservative hippie has greater allegiance to their fellow man than they do government.

A conservative hippie has greater love for their fellow man than they do for government.

A conservative hippie is one who will not depend upon government to spread your wealth, but encourage you that you have what it takes to succeed.

A conservative hippie no longer believes that everyone owes them something.

A conservative hippie believes in higher education, but does not believe tax payers should pay for it.

A conservative hippie is one who still desires justice and is not afraid to speak out the true injustices.

A conservative hippie has learned the difference between a cop and a “pig.”

A conservative hippie will not white wash or compromise the truth for the sake of “peace and love.”

A conservative hippie will still go and protest, standing as one with others with the same common cause.

A conservative hippie loves the feeling of camaraderie but will not compromise to get it.

A conservative hippie is one who still cares about the planet but does not make it a religion to worship the earth.

A conservative hippie still likes bright, bold and fluorescent colors, daisies, beaded curtains, posters; maybe even decorate a room in remembrance of their youth, but will not use the room for smoking dope.

A conservative hippie still likes to burn incense but does not use it to cover up the smell of weed.

A conservative hippie still likes the aroma of patchouli and not embarrassed to wear it.

A conservative hippie has taken off the rose-colored glasses and sees the world as it is without the pipe dreams and illusions of youth.

A conservative hippie sees the beauty in a tree but would never make it’s life more important than a baby in the womb.

What is a conservative hippie? It is one who grew up.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2012, 12:34:25 PM »
I wonder what DU thinks about the Arab Spring now. Egypt is a hell hole.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2012, 07:32:09 PM »
I wonder what DU thinks about the Arab Spring now. Egypt is a hell hole.

It's still safer than Detroit, I bet.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2012, 12:12:21 PM »
Hmm, Andrew Breitbart says he has video from Obama's College days, Andrew had dinner last week with Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dorn, did they give Andrew a video? he mentions the video at the beginning of this speech at CPAC:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-andrew-breitbarts-fiery-cpac-speech-i-have-college-days-obama-videos/

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2012, 12:24:55 AM »
Wisconsin Teachers Revolting Against the Demands of Their Union Bosses

http://brookfield-wi.patch.com/articles/wisconsin-teachers-revolting-against-the-demands-of-their-union-bosses?ncid=txtlnkuspatc00000003

Here are some snippets, you can read the entire article at the link:

Some rank-and-file members upset with WEAC endorsing a unproven candidate for statewide office who has lost twice already.

As Wisconsin taxpayers are faced with an expensive recall election for governor, rank-and-file members of the state’s largest teachers union are fuming mad over the endorsement of a candidate that was hand-picked by their leadership.

Hours after the endorsement, a petition on change.org was created to demand that the union rescind its endorsement of the former chief executive of the second largest county government in Wisconsin. Rank-and-file members were upset with WEAC endorsing a unproven candidate for statewide office that lost two times.

WEAC’s rank-and-file members have every right to be upset about their leadership endorsing a unproven candidate. They are questioning if a candidate who met in secret with the union bosses is worthy of their endorsement. Could this backlash translate into support for State Senator Kathleen Vinehout, who announced her intent to run on Wednesday? Only time will tell as Wisconsin’s Democrats will face a very divisive primary that will pit their grassroots versus the big labor bosses that are telling them who they should vote for.

The only person that will benefit from the union’s divisiveness is Walker. As Walker will not have to face a primary election, he will enjoy a fund-raising and organizational advantage that the liberals will have a hard time replicating. The unions may face their worst nightmare during the Democratic primary if they do not listen to their front-line members that make up the Democratic Party.