Author Topic: Economy grows by only 0.6 percent in first quarter (lack of recession depression  (Read 3681 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

sorry.  growth ain't a recession.  and the medical imagery about the economy is, well,
amusing.  "bruised" and "limping" . . . I could have sworn they were ramping up to "on
life support"  you can almost feel the disappointed tone in the story that they weren't
able to trot that little phrase out of the metaphor corral.

Economy grows by only 0.6 percent in first quarter
Economy limps ahead at a 0.6 percent pace in first quarter

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The bruised economy limped through the first quarter of this year at a six-tenths of a percentage point growth rate as housing and credit problems forced people and businesses alike to hunker down.

The country's economic growth during January through March was the same as in the final three months of last year, the Commerce Department reported Wednesday. The statistic did not meet what economists consider the classic definition of a recession, which is a retraction of the economy. This means that although economy is stuck in a rut, it is still managing to keep growing -- however modestly.

Many analysts were predicting that the gross domestic product (GDP) would weaken a bit more -- to a pace of just 0.5 percent -- in the first quarter. Earlier this year, some economists thought the economy would actually lurch into reverse during the opening quarter. Now, they say they believe that will likely happen during the current April-to-June period.

Gross domestic product measures the value of all goods and services produced within the United States and is the best measure of the country's economic health. Voters are keenly worried about the country's economic problems and so are politicians -- in Congress, in the White House and on the campaign trail.

More

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

sorry.  growth ain't a recession.  and the medical imagery about the economy is, well,
amusing.  "bruised" and "limping" . . . I could have sworn they were ramping up to "on
life support"  you can almost feel the disappointed tone in the story that they weren't
able to trot that little phrase out of the metaphor corral.

Economy grows by only 0.6 percent in first quarter
Economy limps ahead at a 0.6 percent pace in first quarter

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The bruised economy limped through the first quarter of this year at a six-tenths of a percentage point growth rate as housing and credit problems forced people and businesses alike to hunker down.

The country's economic growth during January through March was the same as in the final three months of last year, the Commerce Department reported Wednesday. The statistic did not meet what economists consider the classic definition of a recession, which is a retraction of the economy. This means that although economy is stuck in a rut, it is still managing to keep growing -- however modestly.

Many analysts were predicting that the gross domestic product (GDP) would weaken a bit more -- to a pace of just 0.5 percent -- in the first quarter. Earlier this year, some economists thought the economy would actually lurch into reverse during the opening quarter. Now, they say they believe that will likely happen during the current April-to-June period.

Gross domestic product measures the value of all goods and services produced within the United States and is the best measure of the country's economic health. Voters are keenly worried about the country's economic problems and so are politicians -- in Congress, in the White House and on the campaign trail.

More

They can't stand any good economic news, it goes against the grain.If it grew it is heading in the correct direction and six tenths is a rather large change considering the size of the economy.The liberal press will have to really dig for something to sour the news_wires to make up for it .

***edit by WE for inadvertently misplaced text within quote tags.***

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:54:52 AM by Wretched Excess »

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Like I've always said, if Bush walked on water tomorrow, The media's headline would read: Bush can't swim.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Economy Expands 0.6% in First Quarter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 12:31:31 PM »
The bruised economy limped through the first quarter of this year at only 0.6% as housing and credit problems forced people and businesses alike to hunker down.

The country's economic growth during January through March was the same as in the final three months of last year, the Commerce Department reported Wednesday.

The statistic did not meet what economists consider the classic definition of a recession, which is a retraction of the economy. This means that although the economy is stuck in a rut, it is still managing to grow, even if modestly.

Many analysts were predicting that the gross domestic product (GDP: 33.04, -0.66, -1.95%) would weaken a bit more -- to a pace of just 0.5%-- in the first quarter. Earlier this year, some economists thought the economy would actually lurch into reverse during the opening quarter. Now, they say they believe that will likely happen during the current April-to-June period.

Gross domestic product measures the value of all goods and services produced within the United States and is the best measure of the country's economic health.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/economy/economy-expands--quarter/
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Economy Expands 0.6% in First Quarter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 01:01:40 PM »
The bruised economy limped through the first quarter of this year at only 0.6% as housing and credit problems forced people and businesses alike to hunker down.

The country's economic growth during January through March was the same as in the final three months of last year, the Commerce Department reported Wednesday.

The statistic did not meet what economists consider the classic definition of a recession, which is a retraction of the economy. This means that although the economy is stuck in a rut, it is still managing to grow, even if modestly.

Many analysts were predicting that the gross domestic product (GDP: 33.04, -0.66, -1.95%) would weaken a bit more -- to a pace of just 0.5%-- in the first quarter. Earlier this year, some economists thought the economy would actually lurch into reverse during the opening quarter. Now, they say they believe that will likely happen during the current April-to-June period.

Gross domestic product measures the value of all goods and services produced within the United States and is the best measure of the country's economic health.

Soon, people will move in to buy the distressed real estate.  One person's loss is another's gain.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Uh, I said this already, the recession is over. I forgot to mention why. It is based on the number of orders through trucking and shipping.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....

Soon, people will move in to buy the distressed real estate.  One person's loss is another's gain.

in
Exactly. There are several homes around us that are now "marked down". One house sold for 502k in 2005 and it's now listed for 279k and has been on the market for weeks and weeks. I thought it was cute but we don't need to move. I just like looking and it's interesting to see how many homes are being marked down to a more realistic price. One guy paid 121k for a three bedroom condo ten years ago and he wanted 475k around Christmastime. He's dropped his price considerably too. A friend of mine sells real estate and she tells me that people are having to face the hard reality of pricing their home for what it's worth, not what they think it's worth or what they need to not be upside down.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Exactly. There are several homes around us that are now "marked down". One house sold for 502k in 2005 and it's now listed for 279k and has been on the market for weeks and weeks. I thought it was cute but we don't need to move. I just like looking and it's interesting to see how many homes are being marked down to a more realistic price. One guy paid 121k for a three bedroom condo ten years ago and he wanted 475k around Christmastime. He's dropped his price considerably too. A friend of mine sells real estate and she tells me that people are having to face the hard reality of pricing their home for what it's worth, not what they think it's worth or what they need to not be upside down.

I think another housing boom is going to happen once it is all over. It is a cycle. Housing goes boom to bust and boom again.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Lauri

Like I've always said, if Bush walked on water tomorrow, The media's headline would read: Bush can't swim.

yep.. and its an election season which means, the MSM and the Dems will keep crying that the sky is falling, but only on the US.

believe me, were Obama or Hilary to actually win the GE, our economic outlook would turn around so fast it would knock the earth out of its orbit.. :-)

Offline Lauri

Uh, I said this already, the recession is over. I forgot to mention why. It is based on the number of orders through trucking and shipping.

well, that settles that.... thanks bird :-)