Author Topic: Huge Government Power Grab  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Huge Government Power Grab
« on: March 31, 2008, 09:59:06 AM »
Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?:
http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080331/usa_economy_regulation.html?.v=9

"In the Treasury's ideal scenario, the Fed would be the market stability regulator and give up its traditional role of overseeing bank holding companies, while several bank regulatory agencies would be combined into a single prudential financial regulator.
"To do its job as the market stability regulator, the Fed would have to be able to evaluate capital liquidity and margin practices across the financial system and their potential impact on overall financial stability." Paulson said.
"The Fed would have the authority to go wherever in the system it thinks it needs to go for a deeper look to preserve stability.""

Am I just bein' paranoid? "Preserve Stability", what does that mean? The economy is cyclic and we're experiencing the down part. Do some people think there should be no down part? The Fed has been printing a lot of money lately and devaluing our dollar. And they want to bail out the mortgage industry too. Why? Falling house prices are good for some areas like LA where they've been high for a long time.
Am I alone in thinking the Feds have their hands in too many places?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
Re: Huge Government Power Grab
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 06:28:15 PM »
No your not. If the clintons are back in office we would have the IRS and this agency looking into "our" financial records. Scary.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:38:01 PM »
It means the Fed is developing a Hercules Complex, thinking it can wrestle massive rivers onto new courses.

"No really, I can do this. I saw this once in a movie!"
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 10:28:55 AM »
who is surprised by this ?

not me...

GWB's entire term has been about consolidation of power  at the federal, state & business levels...

the Fed is doing what homeland security did & I'm sure the FDA  will be close behind...

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 10:33:16 AM »
Expect more of the same if the Democrats gain control.

And yes, it's stupid beyond belief. Governments do not create prosperity. They are fools for thinking otherwise.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle