Author Topic: oil gusher in.....North Dakota  (Read 3558 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
oil gusher in.....North Dakota
« on: March 21, 2008, 07:33:30 AM »
A new black gold rush is under way, this time in North Dakota. The potential payoff is huge -- up to 100 billion barrels of oil. That’s twice the size of Alaska’s reserves and potentially enough to meet all U.S. oil needs for two decades.

Until now, the obstacles to production seemed overwhelming. The crude oil is locked away in rocks that are buried miles underground in the Bakken Play, a field that stretches into Montana and Saskatchewan, Canada.

But times have changed. High oil prices and new technology make it worth the effort. Computer analysis and remote sensing systems, plus smart drills that can probe horizontally or snake left and right, vastly improve the odds of locating new pools and putting them into production. And though oil is unlikely to remain priced at current stratospheric levels, prices won’t drop to much lower levels, which happened several times since the 1970s, and cause new exploration to dry up. Even if prices fell by half, many barrels of oil could still be produced -- profitably -- from the region.

An official government survey of the Bakken region's oil treasure trove is due out next month. The report is expected to play it very conservatively, because it will confine estimates to the amount of oil that likely can be produced profitably based on last year’s oil prices. It will also not take into account any further technological advances that might make it even easier to extract more oil.

"The Bakken is much like the enormous natural gas field that sat for many years under and around Dallas until people figured out the geology and how to drill it out economically," says Lucian Pugliaresi, president of the Energy Policy Research Foundation.

There's at least a smell of the "Old West" as petroleum companies rush to stake their claims in the Bakken Play. Marathon Oil recently acquired about 200,000 acres in the area and will drill about 300 oil wells within five years. Brigham Exploration and Crescent Point Energy Trust are also interested in some of the action. EOG Resources alone figures it can produce 80 million barrels of oil from its Bakken field.

Figure on at least five years before the oil starts flowing in large volumes. A lot of work will need to be done first. In addition to installing drilling gear, firms must build supporting infrastructure, including roads, pipelines as well as new water, sewage and sanitation systems to meet the needs of workers and other area residents.

Note that the Bakken Play region is not an environmentally sensitive area similar to Alaskan tundra that has stymied much oil field development because of concerns about damage to the fragile environment. Still, some environmental protests are sure to emerge and may gum up development for a while, but they’re unlikely to stop oil production from the Bakken fields.

read more at http://www.kiplinger.com/businessresource/forecast/archive/The_U.S._Poised_to_hit_New_Oil_Gusher_080317.html
-----

Apparently it might be 500 billion barrels, not 100 billion.  No one's sure yet.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: oil gusher in.....North Dakota
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 07:42:31 AM »
This nation is floating on a pool of oil and natural gas (Texas roadhouse chili notwithstanding). We could fuel the US for centuries AND drive the global price of oil to $20 without batting an eyelash while creating countless jobs and revenue both economic and taxation all the while cutting the economic legs out from under Russia, Venezuela and the Islamic autocracies.

We merely lack the political will to do so.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 08:32:16 AM »
Apparently I'd make a crappy politician. I don't get why we would ever willingly put ourselves at the mercy of others for something as essential as fuel. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 11:12:58 AM »
Apparently I'd make a crappy politician. I don't get why we would ever willingly put ourselves at the mercy of others for something as essential as fuel. 
Well don't feel bad, Schade.

Most of us here start out with two strikes against us before we even start.

For one, you're a vertebrate.  Backbones are troublesome for those of the political persuasion.

Two, you have shown a propensity for engaging your brain prior to speaking, and to found your opinions on logic and historical fact, not "feelings".  This simply will not do for a PanderBear wannabe.  For more information, look under "Liberal Democrat".
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 11:42:27 AM »
Well don't feel bad, Schade.

Most of us here start out with two strikes against us before we even start.

For one, you're a vertebrate.  Backbones are troublesome for those of the political persuasion.

Two, you have shown a propensity for engaging your brain prior to speaking, and to found your opinions on logic and historical fact, not "feelings".  This simply will not do for a PanderBear wannabe.  For more information, look under "Liberal Democrat".

LOL you are way kind. ... I think there are some people who would disagree that I engage my brain prior to speaking.   :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 03:37:08 PM »
:clap:

That is brilliant!  You should open up a Café Press T-Shirt shop and sell those.

“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 04:04:16 PM »

That is brilliant!  You should open up a Café Press T-Shirt shop and sell those.

Oh you jest.  :lmao:

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 04:10:18 PM »

I'm serious.  That is so clear and concise and right to the heart of our energy problem.

I have to confess, I like it so much I stole it and sent it as part of a letter to Madison's Very Own Hollywood Liberal, Tammy Baldwin, on the topic of energy.  I'll let you know if I hear anything back.  Like an explanation.

And right now, I am going to make it my sig.

Well done Schade!  Well done!
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 04:16:26 PM »

I'm serious.  That is so clear and concise and right to the heart of our energy problem.

I have to confess, I like it so much I stole it and sent it as part of a letter to Madison's Very Own Hollywood Liberal, Tammy Baldwin, on the topic of energy.  I'll let you know if I hear anything back.  Like an explanation.

And right now, I am going to make it my sig.

Well done Schade!  Well done!

I am a crimsom shade of red.  :-)

You probably will find my latest NSFW post equally intriguing.  :uhsure: