Current Events > Breaking News

Rasmussen SC poll for Jan. 14; McCain 28%, Huckabee 19%, Romney 17%, Fred 16%

(1/3) > >>

Wretched Excess:
Election 2008: South Carolina Republican Primary
South Carolina: McCain Leads, Thompson Gaining

Over the past several days, the only real movement in South Carolina’s Republican Presidential Primary has been a four-point gain for Fred Thompson and a five-point decline for Mike Huckabee.

The big winner from that trade-off is John McCain.

The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey shows McCain at 28%, Huckabee at 19%, Mitt Romney at 17%, and Fred Thompson at 16%. Rudy Giuliani and Ron Paul are tied with 5% support. Giuliani is betting his entire campaign on a strong showing in Florida, where he is now tied for the lead with three others.

The current results show McCain getting some breathing room in South Carolina. The previous South Carolina poll, conducted the night after McCain’s victory in New Hampshire, had McCain at 27% and Huckabee at 24%. Before the New Hampshire vote, Huckabee was leading McCain by seven points. McCain and Huckabee are pulling away from the field nationally in the Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll.

Thompson has been directly challenging Huckabee on the campaign trail and hoping to gain some traction that will keep his campaign afloat. Earlier this year, Thompson had hoped to exploit dissatisfaction with the rest of the field and emerge as the choice for conservatives. When his campaign failed to take off, Huckabee saw the same opening and capitalized on it in a way Thompson did not. As recently as November, Thompson was tied for the lead in South Carolina.

The race remains very fluid with 8% of voters undecided and 11% saying there’s a good chance they could change their mind.

Sixty-two percent (62%) of Huckabee’s supporters are “certain” they will vote for him. For supporters of Thompson and Romney, 57% are that “certain.” For McCain, 55% are certain.

While McCain’s lead is growing, South Carolina’s Democratic race is getting a bit closer. Barack Obama leads Hillary Clinton by five.

http://rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/south_carolina/election_2008_south_carolina_republican_primary

south carolina really seems to want to go with fred . . .

Atomic Lib Smasher:
Dammit. What the **** is wrong with the average voter? Even Stevie Wonder can see that Fred is the clear conservative choice. I guess we'll be a better America with illegals pouring in our borders like we were giving away free tequila and 14 year old brides, and the terrorists can have the same rights as us. That ought to win us the war on terror, huh?  ::)

Wretched Excess:

--- Quote from: Skizz on January 14, 2008, 11:28:40 PM ---Dammit. What the **** is wrong with the average voter? Even Stevie Wonder can see that Fred is the clear conservative choice. I guess we'll be a better America with illegals pouring in our borders like we were giving away free tequila and 14 year old brides, and the terrorists can have the same rights as us. That ought to win us the war on terror, huh?  ::)

--- End quote ---

just to judge by bumper stickers and yard signs, he had a lot of support before he declared, but it just seemed to take so long for him to jump in.  now, having said that, I'm not sure what's wrong with my fellow south carolinians either.  it seems like a no brainer to me.

DixieBelle:
Come on Fredmentum!!! I'm still hoping for President Thompson. He's the only one who makes any sense.

Splashdown:
Have hope. It's early yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version