Current Events > Breaking News

Scalise secures GOP Speaker nomination

(1/3) > >>

Eupher:
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4250062-steve-scalise-wins-gop-speaker-nomination/?utm_placement=newsletter

--- Quote ---House Republicans on Wednesday nominated Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) to be the next Speaker, sending his candidacy to the House floor following Rep. Kevin McCarthy’s (R-Calif.) stunning ouster last week, multiple lawmakers told The Hill.

Scalise secured the nomination 113-99 in a closed-door GOP conference meeting, defeating House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) in a close race that did not have a clear front-runner heading into the internal vote.

Scalise will now take his candidacy to the House floor, where he will be up against House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.), who Democrats nominated for Speaker on Tuesday night.

The floor fight could get messy. Candidates need the support of a majority of the chamber to take control of the gavel and Republicans hold a razor-thin majority. McCarthy required 15 rounds of voting to secure the gavel.

At least six Republicans have already said they’ll vote for someone other than Scalise on the floor, and and handful of others remain undecided or declined to comment.

Jordan, however, said he offered to deliver a nominating speech on Scalise’s behalf.

Scalise’s nomination marks the pinnacle of his congressional career, which began in 2008 and has spanned more than nine years in leadership, including stints as Republican whip and, most recently, majority leader.

Throughout the week-long race for the top spot, Scalise branded himself as the Republican who could unite the conference following McCarthy’s ouster, which bitterly divided the GOP and inflamed tensions within the party.

“I’ve got a long history of bringing people together, uniting Republicans, focusing on the issues that we’ve got to do to address the issues we came here to do to get our country back on track,” Scalise told Fox Business in an interview Tuesday.

Republican Reps. Frank Lucas (Okla.), Ashley Hinson (Iowa) and John James (Mich.) officially nominated Scalise for Speaker in the closed-door meeting, according to a source familiar.

Scalise clinched the nomination despite some members voicing concerns about his health. The Louisiana Republican was diagnosed in August with multiple myeloma, which he described as a “very treatable” blood cancer. He has been undergoing treatment, and late last month Scalise said “the cancer has dropped dramatically” following chemotherapy.

Rep. Ralph Norman (R-S.C.) on Monday, nonetheless, called Scalise’s health “an issue.”

“I was honest with Scalise. I think his health is an issue. I don’t want somebody that is gonna deteriorate in the job,” Rep. Ralph Norman (R-S.C.) told reporters Monday. “This is a tough job. You’ve got to be everywhere.”

Scalise’s supporters, however, have brushed aside concerns over his health, arguing that he is able to perform the job. Rep. Tony Gonzales (R-Texas), who endorsed Scalise heading into the internal election, pointed to a sign off from the Louisiana Republican’s wife, Jennifer, as evidence that he is up for the job.

“Jennifer is the one that has said, ‘I wouldn’t allow him to do this if he wasn’t healthy enough to do this,’” Gonzales said. “When his wife says, ‘We’re in this to win this’ — that’s all I needed to know.”

Scalise’s cancer is not his first major health battle. He was critically injured in the 2017 Congressional baseball shooting, taking him out of congressional work for months.

Scalise won the nomination for Speaker after the House booted McCarthy from the Speakership last week, marking the first time since 1910 that the chamber held a vote on toppling its top lawmaker and the first-ever successful attempt.

A group of eight Republicans, led by Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), joined with Democrats in voting to oust McCarthy from his post. The GOP lawmakers were in-part frustrated with McCarthy’s handling of the government funding process, with the last straw being the California Republican’s decision to put a “clean” continuing resolution on the floor to avert a government shutdown. The stopgap passed with the help of Democrats, infuriating McCarthy’s detractors.
--- End quote ---

Bolded sections are mine. If Scalise has been in House leadership positions since the Ascendency of His High Holiness and Lightbringer Barry Soetoro, that tells me he's been on the losing side for pretty much that long. Another career politician. Sigh. We'll see how the floor vote goes, but it would not surprise me when the Republicans **** up yet one more time and fail to elect at least a Republican Speaker.

Drafe Hoblin:
Scalise just removed himself from the nomination-process an hour or so ago.

Good.  He'd be like McCarthy Jr. or something, voting waaayyyy too much with Democrats over the years.

Btw, the GOP isn't in 'turmoil'.  It's upgrading.  The MSM wants us to think that 'turmoil' means 'panic'.  Regardless, we may be looking at Jordan again. 

Ralph Wiggum:

--- Quote from: Drafe Hoblin on October 12, 2023, 09:07:32 PM ---Scalise just removed himself from the nomination-process an hour or so ago.

Good.  He'd be like McCarthy Jr. or something, voting waaayyyy too much with Democrats over the years.

Btw, the GOP isn't in 'turmoil'.  It's upgrading.  The MSM wants us to think that 'turmoil' means 'panic'.  Regardless, we may be looking at Jordan again.

--- End quote ---

While I really like Jim Jordan, might I suggest a Byron Donalds? A conservative without the RINO background.

Eupher:

--- Quote from: Ralph Wiggum on October 12, 2023, 09:17:09 PM ---While I really like Jim Jordan, might I suggest a Byron Donalds? A conservative without the RINO background.

--- End quote ---

Scalise has multiple myeloma and that is not a disease that is forgiving. Much of what the Speaker's job requires, based on my understanding, is "being everywhere all the time". That would exact a toll on him that he might not be able to bear for very long.

Donalds, in my view, would be a good choice. The professional politician elite class would complain that Donalds is too inexperienced (he's been a congressman only since 2021) to be Speaker. But I'd call his "inexperience" a feature, not a bug.

I'd heard him speak and he's very solid in interviews. He doesn't get rattled and he stands his ground.

But Jordan is who the GOP caucus seems to prefer. Time will tell. Somebody will fall out of the woodwork, but since the GOP caucus seems to constantly secure defeat from the jaws of victory, it wouldn't surprise me if Jeffries - the scum - wound up with the gig.

Ralph Wiggum:

--- Quote from: Eupher on October 13, 2023, 05:30:16 AM ---Scalise has multiple myeloma and that is not a disease that is forgiving. Much of what the Speaker's job requires, based on my understanding, is "being everywhere all the time". That would exact a toll on him that he might not be able to bear for very long.

Donalds, in my view, would be a good choice. The professional politician elite class would complain that Donalds is too inexperienced (he's been a congressman only since 2021) to be Speaker. But I'd call his "inexperience" a feature, not a bug.

I'd heard him speak and he's very solid in interviews. He doesn't get rattled and he stands his ground.

But Jordan is who the GOP caucus seems to prefer. Time will tell. Somebody will fall out of the woodwork, but since the GOP caucus seems to constantly secure defeat from the jaws of victory, it wouldn't surprise me if Jeffries - the scum - wound up with the gig.

--- End quote ---

Didn't do the research on Byron and his time in office, but good point. I'm a big fan of Jordan, who is solidly conservative and incredibly articulate (unlike McCarthy). The media HATES him with a passion, but of course they will line up to hate any Republican speaker or Presidential candidate. And if Jim Jordan does advance, the media will recycle the slurs about being complicit in covering up sexual abuse at Ohio State, slam him as an "election denier", molesting collies, whatever shit they need to make up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version