Author Topic: There’s Been Another Supreme Court Leak ... No One Will Be Happy About This One  (Read 589 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
If this "leak" is true, it's just another indicator that Roberts cannot be considered any kind of "conservative" - if ever he was.

The unprecedented leak of the draft majority opinion in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization was, as Chief Justice John Roberts put it, a “singular and egregious breach of that trust that is an affront to the Court and the community of public servants who work here.” The Court quickly launched an investigation, but the same shenanigans are still going on.

A recent article by Robert Barnes, Carol D. Leonig, and Ann E. Marimow at the Washington Post about Chief Justice Roberts’ apparent waning influence appears to include yet another leak from the court.

The leaked draft opinion is dated in February and is almost surely obsolete now, as justices have had time to offer dissents and revisions. But as of last week, the majority of five justices to strike Roe remains intact, according to three conservatives close to the court who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive matter.

A person close to the most conservative members of the court said Roberts told his fellow jurists in a private conference in early December that he planned to uphold the state law and write an opinion that left Roe and Casey in place for now. But the other conservatives were more interested in an opinion that overturned the precedents, the person said. A spokeswoman for the court declined to comment, and messages extended to justices were unreturned.

As of right now, the identity of the leaker of the draft Dobbs opinion is still under investigation, and one can only wonder about the long-term damage the leak has done to the court. Not only has a draft opinion been leaked, but private conversations have as well now? Once again, no one will be happy about this. Conservatives won’t be happy about the leak, and pro-abortion leftists won’t be happy that it seems that the conservative justices who are likely to vote to overturn Roe v. Wade appear to be holding firm on it.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2022/05/11/theres-been-another-supreme-court-leak-no-one-will-be-happy-about-this-one-n1597020
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline ADsOutburst

What a mess.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
From what I've read Roberts wants to see Roe v. Wade overturned but he wants to do it via a series of rulings instead of one quick cut. It is this possibility that has led me to believe that it is possible a conservative leaked the opinion in order to force his hand. If the court does less than what is prescribed in the Alito opinion then they will appear to have capitulated to the liberal mob.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
From what I've read Roberts wants to see Roe v. Wade overturned but he wants to do it via a series of rulings instead of one quick cut. It is this possibility that has led me to believe that it is possible a conservative leaked the opinion in order to force his hand. If the court does less than what is prescribed in the Alito opinion then they will appear to have capitulated to the liberal mob.

Interesting point. If true that a conservative leaked the info to force Roberts' hand, what is that saying about the level of trust and judicial ethics that used to be part of SCOTUS but isn't any more? Or, for that matter, how Roberts' isn't trusted to do much of anything other than to worry about his own "legacy" and caucus with the leftists?

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Is This the Supreme Court Leaker?
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2022/05/10/is-this-the-supreme-court-leaker-n2606760

Who leaked the Supreme Court draft opinion in the Dobbs case? It appears to show the Court is ready to overturn Roe v. Wade, which sent liberal America into a tailspin. I mean, we have feminists at full froth even though the ruling won't ban abortion. This is the result of decades of liberal propaganda and fake legal commentary. No, there is no constitutional right to an abortion. There is no mention of abortion in the founding document, which means it doesn't prohibit it. You can pass a law and have a legalized right to an abortion if you want. The lack of language about abortion in the Constitution is positive for the pro-life and pro-abortion sides if you want to go down the right path—the legislative one.

But we can't have that debate now. We're supposedly on the brink of a total theocracy or something because this leaker decided to blow up the system of trust of professionalism that has marked this institution for 200-plus years. The draft opinion was authenticated by the Supreme Court. Chief Justice John Roberts said so in a statement. He has ordered the Marshal of the Supreme Court to investigate the leak. The FBI is going to get involved as well. National Public Radio's Nina Totenberg, who peddled fake news about the Supreme Court and mask-wearing not so long ago, declared Sunday that the leaker might be a clerk for a conservative jurist. Yeah, slow your roll, Nina. NPR has been straight trash with their reporting. Second, only a rabid pro-abort would do something like this. Sorry, it's just not in the conservative DNA.

Will Chamberlain of the Internet Accountability Project and Human Events had a lengthy Twitter thread about who this leaker could be and zeroed in on Elizabeth Deutsch. It's pure speculation based on information from the public domain, but after he makes his case—it sort of sounds like she could fit the bill. She's a current law clerk for Justice Breyer. Chamberlain leaves it open that he could be wrong about her, but let's go through what he found:

More to read.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Is This the Supreme Court Leaker?
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2022/05/10/is-this-the-supreme-court-leaker-n2606760

More to read.

Speculation, albeit with some analysis tossed in. I read this a day or two ago and wasn't convinced, though it could be true.

I suspect that the leaker - whoever it is - is already known, but the identity is being withheld. It could very well be that this leaker's ID will never be officially released due to the nature of SCOTUS itself. But who knows? Another leaker might very well out the original leaker.  :rotf:

Three ring f'n circus. But that's the Swamp for you.

Offline 3rd-try

There's 45 people who had access I've heard over and over. Why in the hell is this "investigation" taking so long? Can the appointed politicials accomplish anything without a 2-year timeline and a 10-million-dollar budget? Damnit! We're run by totally inept clowns.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
There's 45 people who had access I've heard over and over. Why in the hell is this "investigation" taking so long? Can the appointed politicials accomplish anything without a 2-year timeline and a 10-million-dollar budget? Damnit! We're run by totally inept clowns.

Just my guess, so FWIW, I'd posit that they KNOW who the leaker is. But they're not going to release that information until it's leaked by someone "who is close to the matter."  :-)