Author Topic: Col. Gail Halvorsen, the 'Berlin Candy Bomber', dies at 101  (Read 362 times)

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Col. Gail Halvorsen, the 'Berlin Candy Bomber', dies at 101
« on: February 17, 2022, 03:12:58 PM »
Utah's Gail Halvorsen, the 'Berlin Candy Bomber', dies at 101

By Nate Carlisle  | Feb. 17, 2022, 7:37 a.m. | Updated: 11:18 a.m.

Gail Halvorsen, the Utah farm boy who became a hero in post-World War II Europe for fastening candy to handkerchiefs and dropping them from his U.S. Air Force cargo plane to the children of West Berlin, earning him the nickname the %u201CBerlin Candy Bomber,%u201D has died.

He was 101.

After a brief illness, Halvorsen %u201Cpassed away peacefully %u2026 surrounded by most of his children%u201D on Wednesday night at Utah Valley Hospital, according to the Gail S. Halvorsen Aviation Education Foundation. Funeral arrangements are pending.

The German Embassy to the United States tweeted, %u201CRIP Colonel Gail Halvorsen. %u2026 Thank you for your kindness, Colonel.%u201D

[snip]

Rest in peace, sir. Thank-you for your great example.

KSL News Report
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 03:16:46 PM by DefiantSix »
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Col. Gail Halvorsen, the 'Berlin Candy Bomber', dies at 101
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 03:26:40 PM »
Rest in peace, sir. Thank-you for your great example.

KSL News Report

Colonel Halvorsen was not only an example of the kind of pilot to be, but also the kind of human to be. He was a shining example of honor, truth, fairness, and ethical behavior.

He served in the city that I served in, long before me, and did so with gracious accommodation. We are all stronger for having Col Halvorsen come before us.

I deeply respect this man and fervently pray that the example he set does not diminish.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline SVPete

Re: Col. Gail Halvorsen, the 'Berlin Candy Bomber', dies at 101
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 05:20:12 PM »
In a mere three years US airmen transitioned from bombing the bleep out of Berlin and Germany to feeding Berlin in the face of Stalin's blockade/siege. I'll bet those transport guys loved their supply duties compared to the earlier destructive duties.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.