Author Topic: Vesta & Her Strange Epicurean Experiences  (Read 7155 times)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Vesta & Her Strange Epicurean Experiences
« on: May 06, 2010, 10:17:43 AM »
The trick with greens is to wash them very thoroughly. I was taught to clean the leaves 3 times at least before putting them onto boil. Don't use too much ham hocks, butter or bacon when cooking because they get too runny.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 10:20:19 AM by Odin's Hand »
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 06:03:00 AM »
The trick with greens is to wash them very thoroughly. I was taught to clean the leaves 3 times at least before putting them onto boil. Don't use too much ham hocks, butter or bacon when cooking because they get too runny.

OH Yes called 3 waters in some places.  Same with chittlens, there should never be any smell before cooking.

I love Okra but I cannot handle the slime.  So I just steam them whole and no slime.

BBQ is not just about the meat, the fixens are just as important. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 12:39:39 PM »
OH Yes called 3 waters in some places.  Same with chittlens, there should never be any smell before cooking.

I love Okra but I cannot handle the slime.  So I just steam them whole and no slime.

BBQ is not just about the meat, the fixens are just as important. 

You actually EAT chittlens?

I wouldn't feed that crap to my dogs........

Used for organic plant fertilizer around here.......definitely not fit for human consumption......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 02:04:24 PM »
You actually EAT chittlens?

I wouldn't feed that crap to my dogs........

Used for organic plant fertilizer around here.......definitely not fit for human consumption......

doc

Yes as a matter of fact I tried it once.

Neighbors was a Marine, his family and he were southern blacks and taught me allot about life.  It went both ways I believe.

I taught his wife to play Canasta and she taught me to play Spades.

One day when she had her weekly card playing date and invited me to join in she was cooking up Chittlens.    She and her friends walked me through the 100 waters, the seasoning, the importance of no smell, the boil, drying then the frying.

Interesting that, but not as unusual as Korean white dog, lizard, Indonesian bat, Stinky fruit, or the Philippine fish that smells like dirty diapers.

Just one small nibble cannot kill me, actually I do not care for goat, rabbit or lamb.

I have passed on eye balls, lobster, fish or mammal, internal organ meat is also a bit iffy.

Worse thing I ever tried was beef brains in milk.   Lord it came in a can,  sold all over the south--  Potted meat comes in second. 

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: Vesta & Her Strange Epicurean Experiences
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 03:46:08 PM »
  BTW, was it Sparky who said that when holding a Brit, never serve Callamarty ?

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 04:38:02 PM »
Worse thing I ever tried was beef brains in milk.   Lord it came in a can,  sold all over the south--  Potted meat comes in second. 

Say what?? I have never heard of that, must not be a Texas thing.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 04:42:16 PM »
Say what?? I have never heard of that, must not be a Texas thing.

Pork Brains in milk gravy made by Armour.

http://tkcollier.wordpress.com/2009/02/27/pork-brains-in-milk-gravy/

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)

Offline debk

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 06:17:25 PM »
My paternal grandmother, who was in her early 30's when she came to the US from Scotland, made "creamed brains" on toast. I remember, as a young kid, watching her fix them one time.....and didn't know what they were cause she called them something else. My mother was there and told me what Gran was really cooking....fortunately my mom fixed something else for her and my dad and me. Gran and Grandad were the only people I ever knew who would eat those things.

Runnin' Buddy's husband fixes fried okra like his Mama does. (Nanny K is 97 yo and just an incredible Southern lady and can she ever cook!) He slices it into quarter inch slices, gets a little bit of cornmeal on them, and fries them in a really hot iron skillet with Crisco oil. Makes a horrendous mess of the stove! I usually won't go near okra, but this was crispy, salty, not greasy or slimey. It was really good!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 11:24:44 AM »
  BTW, was it Sparky who said that when holding a Brit, never serve Callamarty ?

Nope--twarn't me.  I like calamari.  In fact, you remind me that it's been quite a while since I was at Ronaldo's in North Hampton (Route 1 at Route 111, next to the state liquor store).  Great calamari "appetizer".  HUGE portion, too.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 05:18:17 AM »
My paternal grandmother, who was in her early 30's when she came to the US from Scotland, made "creamed brains" on toast. I remember, as a young kid, watching her fix them one time.....and didn't know what they were cause she called them something else. My mother was there and told me what Gran was really cooking....fortunately my mom fixed something else for her and my dad and me. Gran and Grandad were the only people I ever knew who would eat those things.

Runnin' Buddy's husband fixes fried okra like his Mama does. (Nanny K is 97 yo and just an incredible Southern lady and can she ever cook!) He slices it into quarter inch slices, gets a little bit of cornmeal on them, and fries them in a really hot iron skillet with Crisco oil. Makes a horrendous mess of the stove! I usually won't go near okra, but this was crispy, salty, not greasy or slimey. It was really good!

Debk you remind me of the time my grandmother made Fin&Haddie for my dad.

It is some kind of stew made with salted fish and milk. The smell is Lord awful, dad loved it but mom I had to sit outside on the porch to get away from the smell.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 08:18:48 AM »
Nope--twarn't me.  I like calamari.  In fact, you remind me that it's been quite a while since I was at Ronaldo's in North Hampton (Route 1 at Route 111, next to the state liquor store).  Great calamari "appetizer".  HUGE portion, too.

:hi5:  100% of Sicilians I personally surved say Ronaldo's is the best Italian food North of Boston.

Huge portions is the operative phrase.  At first I thought they did a heck of a take-out business based on the bags coming out but nope, they use sewer covers for plates I swear.  You could feed a family of five on one entree.

As a side note you could not get me to eat calamari, nor any oily fish.  Gag reflex won't let it go down the throat.

Off to physical therapy.  I am done with this tripe for the moment.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »

My grandma cooks it the same way, and I think it was her mother-in-law, who was from Texas and Oklahoma, who taught her to do it that way.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 10:18:14 AM »
One is either from Texas or Oklahoma, NOT both!!!  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: IMO, ALL Okies should keep their ass North of the Red River!!!
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 10:34:53 AM »
One is either from Texas or Oklahoma, NOT both!!!  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: IMO, ALL Okies should keep their ass North of the Red River!!!

I'll be down there in DFW next month ( :-))...might be at Texoma sometime this summer.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 11:10:32 AM »

Calamari--yum. Years ago I used to make special trips to Randazzo's in Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn just for their calamari.

Not even close to being in the same category as brains in milk and chittlens. Calamari is  normal food; I mean, if a person eats clams, he should have no trouble eating calamari.

Offline debk

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 11:18:36 AM »
Calamari--yum. Years ago I used to make special trips to Randazzo's in Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn just for their calamari.

Not even close to being in the same category as brains in milk and chittlens. Calamari is  normal food; I mean, if a person eats clams, he should have no trouble eating calamari.

I like calamari too!

As a side note you could not get me to eat calamari, nor any oily fish.  Gag reflex won't let it go down the throat.

You had bad calamari....it isn't oily.....at least none that I've ever had.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 02:22:43 PM »

I like calamari too!

You had bad calamari....it isn't oily.....at least none that I've ever had.

Opps, didn't mean calamari was oily. 
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 02:26:06 PM »
Last time I had calamari was at the sushi place down the street.  It was overcooked but otherwise tasted great.  We had to send it back because it was nearly inedible, like chewing on rubber bands.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 03:21:45 PM »
Last time I had calamari was at the sushi place down the street.  It was overcooked but otherwise tasted great.  We had to send it back because it was nearly inedible, like chewing on rubber bands.

There used to be a great restaurant here, that used tempura batter on sections that were 2-4 inches long. With a spicy hot fruity type dipping sauce. OMG...they were divine.... :drool:

I liked the spicy octopus salad at sushi bars too....

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 07:41:03 PM »

There used to be a great restaurant here, that used tempura batter on sections that were 2-4 inches long. With a spicy hot fruity type dipping sauce. OMG...they were divine.... :drool:

We had this restaurant up the street called Spuds that bought their clams from Gloster Mass.  :bawl:    They closed.   

The sellers soaked clams and oysters in water and corn meal that some how cleaned out the digestive track from all mud and grit.  The only clams I have ever eaten where the belly's were pristine and clean.   Freaking amazing in taste, all the fried clams up to then I had removed the belly's as they were gritty .

Then for some reason Howard Johnsons had a clam plate of clam strips and a chocolate Frap were a major part of my diet when I traveled. 

BTW abalone cut into strips and fried tastes just like the clam strips we get today.

I am thinking of buying some little neck clams and trying the soak with corn meal method and steaming them up----Problem is I wonder if I have to head for the beach to get a few gallons of salt water to soak them in with the corn meal.??

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 04:41:55 PM »

You wouldn't think "Cow Hampshire" had good sushi, but there's a place in downtown Portsmouth that's as good as anyplace I've been.  (zeit--you gotta hit Sakurabana if you get a chance--way better than Sake.)  You wouldn't think there's a difference in the taste of a live scallop versus one you'd normally get--but boy, would you be wrong.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 04:51:59 PM »
You wouldn't think "Cow Hampshire" had good sushi, but there's a place in downtown Portsmouth that's as good as anyplace I've been.  (zeit--you gotta hit Sakurabana if you get a chance--way better than Sake.)  You wouldn't think there's a difference in the taste of a live scallop versus one you'd normally get--but boy, would you be wrong.

Probably because one is a real scallop and the other is a "punch-out" from a stingray.... :uhsure:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 04:53:42 PM »
ha ha ha.. :rofl:  Sounds tasty.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 04:53:49 PM »
Probably because one is a real scallop and the other is a "punch-out" from a stingray.... :uhsure:

It's not hard to tell the difference between scallops and ray.  I've never been served ray at the place I'm talking about.  Others, well....