Author Topic: Most Incredible Bread Puddin' , Evah!!  (Read 4102 times)

Offline debk

Most Incredible Bread Puddin' , Evah!!
« on: January 18, 2010, 11:10:02 AM »
I was in Sam's in early November and saw a red box in the bakery area, that said it was Italian Pannettone. It's a very dense unleavened cake with raisins and candied orange peel in it. There were 2 ladies talking about it, and told me it made the best bread pudding in the world and so I decided to get one and try it. I made it New Year's Day....semi following the recipe on the box. I don't know if Sam's is still carrying it, but I would think a gourmet food store would, but it can be ordered online at amazon.com. There are also recipes on line for the pannettone. The cake seems to keep forever...as I had it for at least 6 weeks before I used it.

I made a very large one...11x14 and had leftover that I made french toast with...that was also incredible!

This is the way I made it....I did change the recipe, and it's very rich. Small pieces are a lot!

Preheat oven to 350.

Cube up 2/3's of pannettone into 1" cubes and put in buttered 11x14 casserole.
Sprinkle with dark chocolate chips so they fall within the cubes. (personally, I will use either semi or milk chocolate the next time)

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together....

12 eggs
36 oz whipping cream
12 oz half and half
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons of vanilla extract

Pour over the cubed pannettone and chocolate chips.

Bake about 40 minutes or until knife comes out clean stuck in the middle.

While it was cooking ...I "winged" a sauce, but I would correct it to....

2 cups of powdered sugar
1/2 cup of half and half
3-4 tablespoons of orange marmalade
1/4 cup of Cointreau (triple sec would work, but it is sweeter, so cut back on amount)

Combine all in a saucepan over low heat, stir until sugar and marmalade are melted. Do not boil. It will easily burn.

Add more half and half or alcohol, if needed to make a semi thin sauce. (I added the liquid first and added too much. If too thin, can add a bit of corn starch to thicken - do not use flour. I didn't have any cornstarch  :( )

Serve warm with sauce and whipped cream or ice cream.

I kept this in the refrigerator for over a week and reheated by portion in the microwave with the sauce on top.

I used the leftover pannettone for French Toast....

Sliced into half inch slices.

In the beaten egg/milk mix, I added a bit of powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp of orange extract.

Used roasted pecan syrup on it.

OMG!!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Most Incredible Bread Puddin' , Evah!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »
I saw that recipe.  I  :heart: bread pudding, but no one I know does.   :bawl:  You can get the mini ones around here, and I thought about doing that, but I forgot and now it is past Christmas, and can't find em.

Did you ever see the one Ms. Deen made with Krispy Kreme Donuts?  Lord. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:08:55 PM »
I saw that recipe.  I  :heart: bread pudding, but no one I know does.   :bawl:  You can get the mini ones around here, and I thought about doing that, but I forgot and now it is past Christmas, and can't find em.

Did you ever see the one Ms. Deen made with Krispy Kreme Donuts?  Lord. 

As much as I love Paula Deen's recipe....I just cannot see bread pudding made with Krispy Kremes. I love Krispy Kremes...but they are soooooo doggone sweet!!

I guess if you used skim milk... :lmao:...instead of whipping cream....it wouldn't be so bad....only block 4 arteries instead of all 5.... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 12:18:33 PM »

As much as I love Paula Deen's recipe....I just cannot see bread pudding made with Krispy Kremes. I love Krispy Kremes...but they are soooooo doggone sweet!!

I guess if you used skim milk... :lmao:...instead of whipping cream....it wouldn't be so bad....only block 4 arteries instead of all 5.... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

well, they didn't add any sugar to the recipe.  I think even if I smelled it my teeth would hurt.  I saw a bread pudding recipe made with leftover banana bread.  I think it would be great with raisin bread too.  Well, hell, I will just eat it any ole way it's made.   :-)

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:20:22 PM »
I love coconut bread pudding... sweetened coconut milk and shredded, toasted coconut flakes.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline debk

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 12:40:50 PM »
well, they didn't add any sugar to the recipe.  I think even if I smelled it my teeth would hurt.  I saw a bread pudding recipe made with leftover banana bread.  I think it would be great with raisin bread too.  Well, hell, I will just eat it any ole way it's made.   :-)

Ummmm.....cinnamon raisin bread.  :drool:  Get a loaf in the grocery bakery that hasn't been sliced so it can be cut in thicker chunks. Add some diced apples..... make a sauce similar to the one I did with cinnamon schnapps in it. ......oh yeah.... :drool:

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 12:45:34 PM »

Ummmm.....cinnamon raisin bread.  :drool:  Get a loaf in the grocery bakery that hasn't been sliced so it can be cut in thicker chunks. Add some diced apples..... make a sauce similar to the one I did with cinnamon schnapps in it. ......oh yeah.... :drool:

Damn.  I might need to make a baby bread pudding. 

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 12:57:29 PM »
I was in Sam's in early November and saw a red box in the bakery area, that said it was Italian Pannettone. It's a very dense unleavened cake with raisins and candied orange peel in it. There were 2 ladies talking about it, and told me it made the best bread pudding in the world and so I decided to get one and try it. I made it New Year's Day....semi following the recipe on the box. I don't know if Sam's is still carrying it, but I would think a gourmet food store would, but it can be ordered online at amazon.com. There are also recipes on line for the pannettone. The cake seems to keep forever...as I had it for at least 6 weeks before I used it.

I made a very large one...11x14 and had leftover that I made french toast with...that was also incredible!

This is the way I made it....I did change the recipe, and it's very rich. Small pieces are a lot!

Preheat oven to 350.

Cube up 2/3's of pannettone into 1" cubes and put in buttered 11x14 casserole.
Sprinkle with dark chocolate chips so they fall within the cubes. (personally, I will use either semi or milk chocolate the next time)

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together....

12 eggs
36 oz whipping cream
12 oz half and half
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons of vanilla extract

Pour over the cubed pannettone and chocolate chips.

Bake about 40 minutes or until knife comes out clean stuck in the middle.

While it was cooking ...I "winged" a sauce, but I would correct it to....

2 cups of powdered sugar
1/2 cup of half and half
3-4 tablespoons of orange marmalade
1/4 cup of Cointreau (triple sec would work, but it is sweeter, so cut back on amount)

Combine all in a saucepan over low heat, stir until sugar and marmalade are melted. Do not boil. It will easily burn.

Add more half and half or alcohol, if needed to make a semi thin sauce. (I added the liquid first and added too much. If too thin, can add a bit of corn starch to thicken - do not use flour. I didn't have any cornstarch  :( )

Serve warm with sauce and whipped cream or ice cream.

I kept this in the refrigerator for over a week and reheated by portion in the microwave with the sauce on top.

I used the leftover pannettone for French Toast....

Sliced into half inch slices.

In the beaten egg/milk mix, I added a bit of powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp of orange extract.

Used roasted pecan syrup on it.

OMG!!

OK, I checked this out ...We are talking heart attack just making this stuff..I  will have to pass on this one....Have a hubby with heart problems, no way can I do this.....But oh my it sounds so delish.....
"Liberals are like slinkies.They're really good for nothing, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Offline debk

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 01:13:54 PM »
Key word, Grama.....SMALL portions!! I'm talking about 2" square. It's delicious but I can barely eat that much at one time.

I do understand your situation though.....really sucks when we have to watch the contents... :(

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 04:03:25 AM »
I don't have time to read the recipe, let alone try making it.

I'm too busy looking at the picture of the hawt celebrity chef. What show is she on?  :pervert: :pervert: :pervert:

Offline debk

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 07:22:03 AM »
I don't have time to read the recipe, let alone try making it.

I'm too busy looking at the picture of the hawt celebrity chef. What show is she on?  :pervert: :pervert: :pervert:

:shucks:

:blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 07:31:40 AM »
OK, I've just printed out this recipe and will attempt it for a Valentine's Day surprise for my husband.  It sounds pretty complicated

We go on dining holidays and every time we're in N.O., Charleston or Savannah the only dessert he gets is bread pudding.  He's been trying to find the hands down best for years, but so far no clear winner.

I love your countertop and round sink.  I don't have room for an island :bawl:

Offline debk

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 07:34:25 AM »
OK, I've just printed out this recipe and will attempt it for a Valentine's Day surprise for my husband.  It sounds pretty complicated

We go on dining holidays and every time we're in N.O., Charleston or Savannah the only dessert he gets is bread pudding.  He's been trying to find the hands down best for years, but so far no clear winner.

I love your countertop and round sink.  I don't have room for an island :bawl:

Whiffle....it is incredibly easy. Honest.

Try to find the pannettone soon, as it might be a seasonal thing only. Let me know if you can't find one and I will help you do different one, if you want.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 08:05:29 PM »
Panettone is usually only sold around Christmas time...but you can sometimes find them during Easter time at some italian specialty stores.

The recipe sounds delicious.  I don't really like the taste of panettone on it's own...I grew up with it, maybe that is why...but when I get one, I use if for french toast.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 08:21:05 PM »
You look fabulous Deb.

Offline debk

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 10:18:57 PM »
You look fabulous Deb.

Thanks BEG....I'd been cooking for about 3 hours...and drinking lemon drop martinis for about 2!  :uhsure: T's girlfriend was taking pics of me and Runnin' Buddy and all the different dishes. The food pics look the best... :drool:

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 05:18:07 AM »

Whiffle....it is incredibly easy. Honest.

Try to find the pannettone soon, as it might be a seasonal thing only. Let me know if you can't find one and I will help you do different one, if you want.

Deb, I looked around the stores near the Mall of GA yesterday for the pannettone, but feel sure I can find it online somewhere.  There's not much time, but don't you think another dense bread would work?

OTOH, I did find two Caphalon omelet pans for $30 and have already sworn to replace the Wolfgang Puck stuff with nothing but!

Offline debk

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 01:23:19 PM »
Deb, I looked around the stores near the Mall of GA yesterday for the pannettone, but feel sure I can find it online somewhere.  There's not much time, but don't you think another dense bread would work?

OTOH, I did find two Caphalon omelet pans for $30 and have already sworn to replace the Wolfgang Puck stuff with nothing but!

Go on Amazon.com....there are several sites for it.

2 Calphalons for $30!!??!!! That's terrific!!  :bow: :bow: :bow:

I was thinking that I could probably make it with Challah bread,  then just add the raisins and candied orange peel and get something similar.

IF I could find Challah around here without having to make it myself.... :(

May have to bake it a bit longer if you use a less dense bread. Otherwise you need to figure out how to reduce the egg batter. Because of the denseness of the pannettone, it absorbs more liquid. I think it might be easier to bake a bit longer.