Author Topic: seed banks  (Read 2246 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
seed banks
« on: November 11, 2009, 06:44:38 AM »
  OK every once in a while I will click on a banner and found this big one advertising seeds,  survival seeds.

As I read the story I began to become concerned with the reading and explanation of where these seeds come from.  Darn one would think these seeds were not food crops but POT seeds.

One can get a non destructible container to store seeds for 50 years, can be buried to avoid their being CONFISTACATED [ by who? ]  for what reason.?

According to the ad, these seeds are from plants that are grown in secret areas, have no DNA engineering or man made input.  They actually quote Genisis at one point.  These seeds will grow most anywhere and will replicate themselves unlike the seeds of vegetables on the market today.

Any farmers out there that know what the HELL is going on with our food ?????

For the last 5 years I have bought both seed and already started vegs, and by golly each year I produce less and less.------It wasn't but 5-6 ago I suggested to a family member they for a science project trying to sprout regular out of the bag dried beans,   It worked!!

Best tasting were the dried peas, but now I wonder if we could become ill eating them raw.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Re: seed banks
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 07:02:29 AM »
I don't know the particular seeds you are referring to, but I have followed an old gardening tip for the past few years and that is to keep the seeds in the freezer or fridge. I have had success even with seeds that are officially out of date. Apparently the cold makes them germinate more efficiently once planted.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 09:01:21 AM »
I've checked out some of these survival seed websites. Their point is that most of the seeds that you buy at the seed store are hybrid varieties, and supposedly produce sterile seeds. So according to them, if you buy regular seeds, you will have food for the first year, and then starve. I don't think this is necessarily true. Not all hybrid seeds are sterile as far as I know. I have grown hybrid melons cantelopes, for example, and used the seeds from them to grow more the next year. But I'm sure that some hybrids do produce sterile seeds.

Most of these survival seed packages are being sold by pretty extreme survivalist types. I think the idea of being able to hide them from confiscation is so that when the antichrist appears, and requires you get tatooed with a 666 to buy food, you'll be able to avoid doing that and grow your own. The theory being that the antichrist's minions will be going around confiscating your seeds.

I think these seed packages are a bit overpriced though. If you do a little work, you can find non-hybrid seeds on your own, and package them up using a Food Saver or something similar. As for the antichrist's minions, I hope their heads are highly resistant to a 7.62x39, because that is what they will be faced with if they want my seeds.  :evillaugh:

Offline bkg

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 11:38:30 AM »
I've checked out some of these survival seed websites. Their point is that most of the seeds that you buy at the seed store are hybrid varieties, and supposedly produce sterile seeds. So according to them, if you buy regular seeds, you will have food for the first year, and then starve. I don't think this is necessarily true. Not all hybrid seeds are sterile as far as I know. I have grown hybrid melons cantelopes, for example, and used the seeds from them to grow more the next year. But I'm sure that some hybrids do produce sterile seeds.

Most of these survival seed packages are being sold by pretty extreme survivalist types. I think the idea of being able to hide them from confiscation is so that when the antichrist appears, and requires you get tatooed with a 666 to buy food, you'll be able to avoid doing that and grow your own. The theory being that the antichrist's minions will be going around confiscating your seeds.

I think these seed packages are a bit overpriced though. If you do a little work, you can find non-hybrid seeds on your own, and package them up using a Food Saver or something similar. As for the antichrist's minions, I hope their heads are highly resistant to a 7.62x39, because that is what they will be faced with if they want my seeds.  :evillaugh:

Monsanto may disagree with your doubts in the 1st paragraph. They are producing altered seeds that give you one season and will destroy neighboring fields...  I've been thinking about buying one of the survival packs. IMHO, it is cheap insurance.

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 01:48:20 PM »
Maybe consider Heirloom seeds. Much of the produce from these seeds have a better taste then hybridized produce. My grandparents use those, and gathered seeds from two or three plants each year. Dry them and put them in jars in a dark cool place.

They also used hybrid seeds. They gathered them the same way. After 2-3 years of planting, those seeds converted back to the basis plant they were hybridized from.

When my grandmother died we found jars of seeds dated 20 years ago. We planted them and they grew. Some seeds won't grow if stored to long, but that's the chance you have to take. Or do your research.

There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline bkg

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 01:55:09 PM »
Maybe consider Heirloom seeds. Much of the produce from these seeds have a better taste then hybridized produce. My grandparents use those, and gathered seeds from two or three plants each year. Dry them and put them in jars in a dark cool place.

They also used hybrid seeds. They gathered them the same way. After 2-3 years of planting, those seeds converted back to the basis plant they were hybridized from.

When my grandmother died we found jars of seeds dated 20 years ago. We planted them and they grew. Some seeds won't grow if stored to long, but that's the chance you have to take. Or do your research.

Inga, can you elaborate on the hilighted? I've never heard of that before. Sounds interesting.

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 03:52:01 PM »
bkg, thank you for pointing out highlighted phrase. I meant to say hybridized heirloom seeds will convert back.

I'll try to find the link.

The link that may help explain what I was tiring to say:http://www.avant-gardening.com/ogardening.htm.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:41:04 PM by Inga »
There will always be "Battles" to fight.