Author Topic: primitives question home improvements  (Read 1605 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives question home improvements
« on: September 05, 2010, 11:52:47 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=287x8801

Oh my.

CTyankee  (1000+ posts)      Sat Sep-04-10 05:34 PM
Original message

Question about home improvement in a bad real estate market for sellers.

Hubby and I want to downsize next summer from house to condo or apartment. Our house is in a middle class neighborhood, very quiet and has a nice, multi-cultural population.

We have updated the full bath and 1/2 bath. Ditto the kitchen, with really good appliances (but not fancy). New carpeting upstairs done in 2002. Screened in porch in good condition. We installed central air conditioning and put in energy efficient replacement windows.

The question is: what in this real estate market should we concentrate on to improve before selling? The outside is attractively landscaped. The house could use interior house painting but I wonder if that matters since new occupants might want their own color scheme.

We have one eyesore: a basement "rec room" right out of the 1950s. It's dark and depressing. I'm tempted to just paint it a soft white, put in track lighting, and recarpet in a neutral berber.

What do you think?

MajorChode  (1000+ posts)        Sat Sep-04-10 08:23 PM
Response to Original message

1. Painting is always the most bang for your buck thing you can do

People might want their own colors at some point, but most people simply want to move in without having to worry about such things in the immediate future. If the interior needs paint, go with eggshell as nobody is going to be put off by it.

I'm not sure I'd put that much effort into the basement. If you do, make sure it's one of the last things. Concentrate on what people are going to see first when they see your home from the street and walk in the door. First impressions are the most important. By the time someone gets to your basement, they will most likely have their mind made up if they are going to reject or consider your home.

Wash. state Desk Jet  (1000+ posts)      Sat Sep-04-10 09:41 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. Usually it's the roof.

consult a realtor before you do anything.

CTyankee  (1000+ posts)      Sun Sep-05-10 10:28 AM
Response to Reply #1

3. I will definitely clean up the awful mess down there and maybe once it is cleared it won't look so bad. It's important to me as I think it would be to many women looking at a house. The laundry room is in the basement (which I really hate) but if it is neat and clean, it makes it bearable. But my next home will have only one level and the laundry area will be more accessible!

Hassin Bin Sober  (1000+ posts)      Sun Sep-05-10 11:35 AM
Response to Original message

4. I think the show "Sell This House" (on A&E channel) should ...

.... be required watching for anyone selling a home. And for stupid realtors who let their clients list without any consultation on staging/de-cluttering/cleaning.

Their emphasis always seems to be cleaning, de-cluttering, staging and strategic painting. All on a MINIMAL budget in the couple hundred dollar range.

They stage rooms using some creative methods - I've them place a bedspread and pillows over empty boxes to create the illusion of a bed in an unfurnished spare bedroom. I've seen them use a card table and folding-chairs wrapped in sheets to create the illusion of nice furniture in unfurnished dining rooms. he likes those little up-lights you can plug in and leave in a corner behind a couch.

All this is done with before and after open houses. If anything, the show drives home potential buyer's reactions to poorly staged and de-cluttered homes. People just can't get passed stupid shit that should really not affect their lives but they do.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: primitives question home improvements
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 12:03:02 PM »
I personally love carpeting, but it seems most people are into wood floors, so taking out the carpeting and refinishing if there are wood floors or installing wood floors would be the way to go.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 12:33:49 PM »
I like strategic carpeting (rugs).   I don't care how much we vacuum and clean, carpeting tends to keep my allergies stirred up a lot more than a wood floor. 

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 01:20:54 PM »
I like strategic carpeting (rugs).   I don't care how much we vacuum and clean, carpeting tends to keep my allergies stirred up a lot more than a wood floor.

Carpeting is definitely a no no if you have allergies. Also a problem with carpeting is this, I'm allergic to cats, no way could I move into a house with carpeting if a cat lived there.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 01:35:42 PM »
The cat is my favorite animal, but I am also allergic to cats.  I can stand to be around our cats, since we keep them very clean.  I find that most other people's cats are the ones that I have not built up a tolerance tend to drive me up the wall.

Also,
Hubby and I want to downsize next summer from house to condo or apartment. Our house is in a middle class neighborhood, very quiet and has a nice, multi-cultural population.

As opposed to what?  Inner city?  Nothing but rednecks?  Who the hell goes around observing their neighbors like this?   :hammer:

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 01:47:14 PM »
Original message
 Our house is in a middle class neighborhood, very quiet and has a nice, multi-cultural population.

Of course it is, you annoyingly miserable twat.  :bird:

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 01:49:15 PM »
Sounds to me like this primitive is running into the same problem everyone is  intend to sell is - the 'Summer of Recovery' has seen nothing but job losses, business closings, and property devaluation. All it takes is a couple of bozos in your neighborhood to  sell their homes for remaining mortgage to cause everyone around them to fall. (part of an appraisal is based on comparable properties in the neighborhood's recent sales.. if one or two owners went fire-sale and dumped the property to get out from their mortgage, then those decreased comp values decrease yours as well. However, If the house is a bank sale/auction it isn't supposed to be used)

So now the primitive is looking for the least expensive way to gain back some of that value. For the near future, nothing is going to work. Sorry.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 01:50:36 PM »
The cat is my favorite animal, but I am also allergic to cats.  I can stand to be around our cats, since we keep them very clean.  I find that most other people's cats are the ones that I have not built up a tolerance tend to drive me up the wall.

Within 15 minutes my ears get a tingly sensation, then my throat gets a little tingly, than the sneezing starts.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 01:51:44 PM »
Sounds to me like this primitive is running into the same problem everyone is  intend to sell is - the 'Summer of Recovery' has seen nothing but job losses, business closings, and property devaluation. All it takes is a couple of bozos in your neighborhood to  sell their homes for remaining mortgage to cause everyone around them to fall. (part of an appraisal is based on comparable properties in the neighborhood's recent sales.. if one or two owners went fire-sale and dumped the property to get out from their mortgage, then those decreased comp values decrease yours as well. However, If the house is a bank sale/auction it isn't supposed to be used)

So now the primitive is looking for the least expensive way to gain back some of that value. For the near future, nothing is going to work. Sorry.

Oh jeez, if that isn't the truth.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 01:52:59 PM »
Within 15 minutes my ears get a tingly sensation, then my throat gets a little tingly, than the sneezing starts.

My throat closes up and I have trouble breathing.  Then there's the usual itchy, watery eyes and sneezing.  I like most cats, but I can't deal with them. :(
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 02:02:07 PM »
My throat closes up and I have trouble breathing.  Then there's the usual itchy, watery eyes and sneezing.  I like most cats, but I can't deal with them. :(

I have the watery eyes, sneezing and itchiness.  I've never had the tingly ears! :-)

Two of our cats let us vacuum them, which helps a lot.  I also wash my hands after having contact with them, and don't let them get anywhere near my face. 

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 02:12:48 PM »
I have the watery eyes, sneezing and itchiness.  I've never had the tingly ears! :-)

Two of our cats let us vacuum them, which helps a lot.  I also wash my hands after having contact with them, and don't let them get anywhere near my face. 

A friend of mine tells me that loading up on Benadryl works for her.  A co-worker of mine won't come into my apartment building because of Oreo.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 02:31:43 PM »
A co-worker of mine won't come into my apartment building because of Oreo.

:whatever:  :-)  :lmao:  :rotf:

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »

Thank God, so far my throat hasn't closed up (knock wood).

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 02:57:50 PM »
CTyankee .... a little advice from a real estate broker here in Texas.

You will NEVER be able to sell your home unless and until you get those low life neighbors of your to start recycling.  End of story.

Think about how you would feel as a Buyer ... your going house to house looking and find THE ONE.  Then, during your due diligence period you discover *gasp!* the neighbors DON'T RECYCLE!!  The horror. 

:-)

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »
CTyankee .... a little advice from a real estate broker here in Texas.

You will NEVER be able to sell your home unless and until you get those low life neighbors of your to start recycling.  End of story.

Think about how you would feel as a Buyer ... your going house to house looking and find THE ONE.  Then, during your due diligence period you discover *gasp!* the neighbors DON'T RECYCLE!!  The horror. 

:-)

KC

Hehehe good one! Nice catch.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 04:23:35 PM »
Is CTyankee the one living next door to the non-recycler? 

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 04:36:14 PM »
Is CTyankee the one living next door to the felony non-recycler? 

:lmao:

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
Thanks Randy, you saved my bacon!  As soon as I left out the felony part, this error message popped up on my screen:

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 07:50:23 PM »
Thanks Randy, you saved my bacon!  As soon as I left out the felony part, this error message popped up on my screen:

I sooooooo have to steal that!

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 08:08:02 PM »
Bally,

Head over to www.thepeoplescube.com

Enjoy.  :cheersmate:

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 08:29:01 PM »
Everything depends on who the buyers are you wish to attract.

In my area with allot of retired I would want to attract people to a one floor home.  No stairs and the the laundry room near the master bedroom.   Extra wide doors for possible handicapped in the future.

The kitchen would have lower counters and no over head cabinets, a pantry of good size instead.

If selling to a family with more then one floor, a laundry room near the bedrooms so the kids could just deposit their clothing outside their door and no running about the house from one floor to another with dirty or clean clothing.

This is my biggest complaint on how homes are designed.  The washer and dryer should be near the bedrooms, not 3 floors down in the cellar or even near the kitchen.

If I had the time and money I would move my washer and dryer to the walk in closet in my bedroom.----Rip out the tub and put in a shower to rival a 5 star hotel.   The bedroom is small but room to put in wall to wall built in closers and draws for clothing, my bedroom is for a bed and clothing storage not for entertaining.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 09:24:11 PM »

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 01:57:24 AM »
Original message

Question about home improvement in a bad real estate market for sellers.

We have updated the full bath and 1/2 bath. Ditto the kitchen, with really good appliances (but not fancy). New carpeting upstairs done in 2002. Screened in porch in good condition. We installed central air conditioning and put in energy efficient replacement windows.

The question is: what in this real estate market should we concentrate on to improve before selling? The outside is attractively landscaped. The house could use interior house painting but I wonder if that matters since new occupants might want their own color scheme.

We have one eyesore: a basement "rec room" right out of the 1950s. It's dark and depressing. I'm tempted to just paint it a soft white, put in track lighting, and recarpet in a neutral berber.

What do you think?

Seriously DUmmy - murder your husband!

Murder him the most grotesque inhumane slice-n-dice manner!
Cut him to pieces, spew his blood over the basement walls. Pull out the lawn mower and use it to ravage his by-sexual body throughout the basement game room carpets.

Then write book about it all.

How he beat you relentlessly and why you acted out like you did.

Think Amityville fame DUmmy...

Sure...the clientbase will be substantially reduced but drastically financially increased at the same time...
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄