Author Topic: plugging a leaking radiator  (Read 2186 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
plugging a leaking radiator
« on: February 02, 2008, 08:38:04 AM »
No, I don't have a leaking radiator in the motor vehicle.

It's just that late last night, leaking radiators were a topic of conversation between two business partners and myself (we're working on how to sell the William Rivers Pitt); they were downing some hard-core alcohol while I was genteely sipping on coffee.

Anyway.

I had recently read a story in the newspapers about how some people, having a leaking radiator on their own motor vehicle, plug it up by dropping an egg into it.

I was curious if this actually works.

The other two, whose automotive mechanic experience is vastly more enormous than mine, had never heard of it.  One of them has a two-year degree in automotive mechanics; the other has a bachelor's degree from Fordham University, although I'm not sure what in.

Both however have heard of using pepper to clog a hole in automotive radiators.

It must be a regional or cultural thing; people in some parts of the country using an egg, and people in other parts of the country using pepper.

These guys swore on the Head of St. John the Baptist that pepper works.

Okay now, realistically, if I had a leaking radiator, I wouldn't put anything in it not made to be put in it, even if I had to sit out in the blazing searing charring sun of the Nebraska Sandhills for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours, waiting for someone to come along and summon a professional to deal with it.

But seriously, does this stuff (or other stuff) really work?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: plugging a leaking radiator
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 09:11:04 AM »
I don`t know how dropping an egg into it would amount to anything either.

The idea behind black pepper (dried horse manure too) is the same as for the stuff you can buy namely Alumiseal or Bars Leak.
It relies on particulates suspended and flowing through the cooling system and as the coolant runs out through the leak the particulates wedge and stick into the opening eventually plugging it.
The possible unpleasant side effect of this would be the potential for also plugging the tubes in the radiator and heater core if they are partially plugged to start with.
In a wet sleeve engine,usually diesel,they also are an abrasive flowing around the sleeve which can wear away the iron and increase the chances of cavitation.

NAPA has a product produced by Mac`s chemicals which is a liquid with no particles involved.
It works by a chemical reaction when combined with ethylene glycol in antifreeze to act in the same way blood clots when it is exposed to air.
The part number is 1600 and it does work up to a point.

If it is a big leak then short of replacing the radiator only a particulate method may work.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 09:23:22 AM by Carl »

Offline HACKSAW

Re: plugging a leaking radiator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 10:51:54 AM »
Mythbusters answered the question about an egg in a radiator. Believe it or not, it worked. They didn't go into if any damage was done to the radiator after the experiment.
Liberals are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.