Author Topic: 2011 Canadian Election  (Read 2350 times)

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
2011 Canadian Election
« on: May 01, 2011, 10:39:23 PM »
I know most likely don't care but with it officially Election day in parts of Canada I figure I'd post this. Typically our elections are boring however, this one could be interesting given how the polls look.

Harper (Con) is in the lead while Layton (NDP) is in a close second after surpassing the liberals, who are in third place followed by the Bloc and Greens.

Just two weeks ago it looked like we'd have another Harper minority with the liberals as leaders of opposition, but that has all changed. Now Layton is set to be leader of the opposition and actually has the potential to win a minority government. Layton is just trailing Harper but Layton is getting the youth vote, something more prominent in the election then previous elections.  (A group typically not well represented in the Polls)

This is the first election we've had with facebook, twitter, etc. as a way to campaign, yet I'm not seeing much difference because of it.

We really have several possibilities right now by looking at the polls...

-Harper minority, Layton Opposition
-Layton minority, Harper Opposition
-NDP lead coalition government (I have doubts)

I won't count the liberals out of this but they do worse all the time, I don't think they have much of a chance with the NDP's surge in popularity.

This election has also seen a rise is strategic voting, in an effort to oust Harper. Known as ABC (Anything But Conservative) it basically means to vote for the non conservative candidate in your riding who is most likely to win.

I'll be posting results and stuff in this topic. This could be interesting. I'm a little worried.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:46:34 PM by compaqxp »

Offline redwhit

Re: 2011 Canadian Election
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 10:49:41 PM »

Sorry, just couldn't resist.   :-)

Thanks for bringing this here.  I don't follow Canadian politics as closely as I should, it's good to have a reminder of that.

:cheersmate:

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 07:17:13 AM »
I got up early and went to and cast my vote!

I can't say much until everything is over, which will be later tonight.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 08:41:12 AM »
It's good you're bringing this over, compaq.

I think it's fair to say that the parliamentary political process is a little unusual for most Americans, so it's good to get the Canadian perspective of elections and how the ruling and minority parties are determined.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 08:55:31 AM »
My Mom lived in Kelowna for a while, and tried to explain the process to me, but I don't believe I ever actually understood it.  I rarely ever understand anything she tries to explain to me.  I am interested to learn more. 

So, who did you vote for, Compaq???

:-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 09:33:29 AM »
It's good you're bringing this over, compaq.

I think it's fair to say that the parliamentary political process is a little unusual for most Americans, so it's good to get the Canadian perspective of elections and how the ruling and minority parties are determined.

I would agree with that but I'd also say the same about many Canadians when it comes to US elections.

My Mom lived in Kelowna for a while, and tried to explain the process to me, but I don't believe I ever actually understood it.  I rarely ever understand anything she tries to explain to me.  I am interested to learn more. 

So, who did you vote for, Compaq???

I was very conflicted going into vote this morning. I'd rather not say who I voted for but I have a good feeling they won't win in my riding.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »
I was very conflicted going into vote this morning. I'd rather not say who I voted for but I have a good feeling they won't win in my riding.

Well, you're a self-admitted liberal (the first step, btw, in the process of recovery), so it's not surprising the general flavor of who you voted for.

The term "riding" (synonymous with "congressional district") is an interesting, though unintended, twist of terminology.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 09:48:01 AM »
Well, you're a self-admitted liberal (the first step, btw, in the process of recovery), so it's not surprising the general flavor of who you voted for.

The term "riding" (synonymous with "congressional district") is an interesting, though unintended, twist of terminology.

I did not vote liberal, I will say that for sure. The liberals lost any future vote from me years ago.

Quite a bit of different terminology between our two systems, but that would be the equivalent.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:50:22 AM by compaqxp »

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »

That's cool, I was just funning you anyway.   :-)

I am definitely interested to see who is elected.  Admittedly, I don't pay enough attention to what is happening in Canadian elections.  What do you see happening up there?  Are people ok with your status quo, or is there some kind of shake-up going on? 

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:52:29 AM by IassaFTots »

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 09:50:29 AM »
I did not vote liberal, I will say that for sure. The liberals lost any future vote from me years ago.

Quite a bit of different terminology between our two systems, but that would be the equivalent.

Let's just agree that your brand of "liberal" is a far cry from mine.

You could be the token conservative in your riding and you'd still be liberal in thought, word, and deed.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 10:19:18 AM »
Canada?

Is that in New Jersey?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 10:35:26 AM »
Oh cool! my Grandparents came from Canada so I've always had a love/hate relationship with the Country so I'm interested in the election. My dream is to have Alberta secede from Canada and join the US, and in return Canada would get California.

Canada?

Is that in New Jersey?

NO! :tongue:
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 10:39:07 AM »
Oh cool! my Grandparents came from Canada so I've always had a love/hate relationship with the Country so I'm interested in the election. My dream is to have Alberta secede from Canada and join the US, and in return Canada would get California.

NO! :tongue:

Why Alberta????

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 10:40:27 AM »
Why Alberta????

It's the most Conservative Province in Canada, Alberta is kind of the Canadian version of Texas.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Darth Claymore

• Friendly Neighborhood Hardass
  • Probationary (Probie)
  • Been There, Done That, No T-shirt, Just Scars
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 10:43:11 AM »
Canadians are odd. They call ham bacon.
Their money looks odd too. Is that a moose or The Queen on your bills?
Old Cavalrymen Never Die.
They Just Smell That Way.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 10:44:13 AM »
Here's something interesting to read Issa about Alberta and separatism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_separatism

Alberta separatism arises from the belief held by some that Alberta is culturally distinct from the rest of Canada, particularly Central Canada and Eastern Canada, and from the belief that Alberta is harmed economically by providing financial support to other provinces through the federal transfer payment program. The Alberta economy has been traditionally based on ranching, and in the last half of the 20th century, been bolstered by considerable revenues from oil and gas production. Alberta has developed a political culture that is more conservative, in both economic and social issues, than the rest of Canada.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 10:47:11 AM »
And this too Issa:

http://www.freealberta.com/

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 10:30:39 PM »

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 10:33:47 PM »
Looks kind of good :yahoo:

Provisional results showed the Conservatives had up to 165 seats in Parliament, above the 155 they needed to transform their minority government into a majority. They won 40 percent of the vote, more than most pollsters had expected.

"The results are as they should be," Conservative supporter Fred Biddle said at Prime Minister Stephen Harper's raucous victory party in Calgary. "It looks like we are back to a two party system in Canada: Conservatives and all the rest."

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 10:54:04 PM »
Harper wins majority

Canadian voters have delivered Conservative Leader Stephen Harper his first majority government after five years of governing in a minority situation. Meanwhile NDP Leader Jack Layton was set to become Official Opposition leader.

The NDP, according to projections, made a major breakthrough and appeared to have nearly tripled their seat count, while Michael Ignatieff's Liberals — often touted as Canada's "natural governing party" — were poised to suffer an historic electoral loss, placing a distant third behind Layton's party.

With 70 percent of the votes counted, the Conservatives were elected or leading in 168 seats, followed by the NDP with 102, Liberals with 33 and the Bloc Québécois with four. A party needs to capture 155 seats to win a majority in the House of Commons.

Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe lost to NDP candidate Hélène Laverdière in the riding of Laurier-Sainte-Marie, in what proved to be a disastrous night for the sovereignist party that redefined the political reality of Quebec.

<SNIP>

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/story/2011/05/02/cv-election-main.html

I'll be honest I'm not to excited by this. I'm glad the Liberals took a hit and that the Bloc has more of less gotten no seats however, I wanted another minority government just based on my lack of trust for any of them. It'll be an interesting 4 years.

In my opinion the Liberal and NDP have the potential of merging after this, in which case we'd have only two major parties. You can be sure some major changes will take place after this election.

This will be our first majority in years. At least we can rest easy about the economy and such, he's done a good job with it so far so I doubt he'll have any problems for the next 4 years, something I can be happy about.

At the end of the day though no matter who a person voted for or who won, democracy is the true winner.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:59:26 AM by Chris »

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 10:59:21 PM »
compaq, someone at DU said that the Conservatives and NDP joined forces to get more Liberals out? and someone said that some NDP supporters voted for Conservatives to prevent Liberals from gaining seats, is that true?

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 11:03:24 PM »
compaq, someone at DU said that the Conservatives and NDP joined forces to get more Liberals out? and someone said that some NDP supporters voted for Conservatives to prevent Liberals from gaining seats, is that true?

It's possible and I have no doubt some did based on strategic voting, but I don't think they would account for very much.

I can't picture many NDP supporters voting Conservative but, like I'm not sure. We'll learn more in the coming days though.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:05:33 PM by compaqxp »

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 11:29:59 PM »
Also, one of the most important things from this election will be the voter turnout, something that has been very low for years.

I'm hoping when I see the number that the turnout increased by a lot.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 01:35:50 AM »

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 08:34:46 AM »
Compaq, what is your own take on the political direction of the NDP?  Where do you think they fall out on the spectrum?
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.