Author Topic: What 3 major things would you change, if you could, about America ?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
Re: What 3 major things would you change, if you could, about America ?
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 09:17:11 AM »
Kinda redundant there, don't ya think?   :lmao:

LOL.  That's what I was thinking.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 09:22:45 AM »
GMTA!  Except my third one involves never importing slave labor other than voluntary indenture (otherwise one of my ancestors couldn't have afforded to leave Scotland).

Well I WAS going to say repeal the 19th Amenment and see how that would go. :lmao:
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 01:12:09 PM »
1) Repeal the 16th Amendment
2) Repeal the 17th Amendment
3) (If I were JFK) Beat the hell out of Teddy.

Same here.

Given that Teddy is now polluting the ground wherein he was laid, I'd suggest that for No.3 end political salaries - give Congressmen and Senators free travel to Washington for session and payment for loss of earnings while Congress is in session, but no more. It should be service not a career.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »
I'd kind of have to disagree with that.  $170K a year might SOUND like a lot, but when you'd effectively have to have residences in your home district AND DC (not a cheap place by any means) then some sort of salary is justified.  One of the issues we have here in NH with such a huge legislature (400 people in a state of 1.3 million) who only get $100/year plus mileage to/from Concord is that you basically have two groups of people who can afford to run for Legislature--retirees and independently wealthy, and guess what--they're gonna vote in their own self-interest for the most part.

Where I have problem is the constant fundraising that needs to be done.  Set a spending limit or at least give candidates so many free minutes of airtime in their state/district.  PACs would have to make up the difference.

The other real issue I have with Congresscritters is they never seem to live under the laws they pass.  Think Obamacare applies to them?  Social Security? 
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 01:27:09 PM »
Well I WAS going to say repeal the 19th Amenment and see how that would go. :lmao:

Yeah, I made that mistake once, once. Didn't say to repeal it, just said that ever since it passed, things have gotten worse because "most" women are emotional thinkers who are geared towards security while "most" men are geared towards liberty. There's ALWAYS going to be a government willing to provide you security. ...but it ain't free. Anyway, it was just an opinion. In no way would I ever support repealing the 19th amendment and it was a general statement, not an all-encompassing opinion. Of course there are women geared toward liberty over security. Look here. Of course there are ***** men geared towards security over liberty. Look at DU.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 01:40:57 PM »
I'd kind of have to disagree with that.  $170K a year might SOUND like a lot, but when you'd effectively have to have residences in your home district AND DC (not a cheap place by any means) then some sort of salary is justified.  One of the issues we have here in NH with such a huge legislature (400 people in a state of 1.3 million) who only get $100/year plus mileage to/from Concord is that you basically have two groups of people who can afford to run for Legislature--retirees and independently wealthy, and guess what--they're gonna vote in their own self-interest for the most part.

Where I have problem is the constant fundraising that needs to be done.  Set a spending limit or at least give candidates so many free minutes of airtime in their state/district.  PACs would have to make up the difference.

The other real issue I have with Congresscritters is they never seem to live under the laws they pass.  Think Obamacare applies to them?  Social Security? 

That would be #4 on my list of things: enact an amendment: All laws, retroactive to the ratification of the Constitution, that apply to any citizen of the US also apply to the members of the Congress and the President.

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2012, 02:19:31 PM »

I can see your point, I'm not suggesting that they be made to live in penury but I am suggesting that it is not seen as a career path. I would support the provision of accommodation in Washington for them to stay in decent comfort while there, but not to spend their entire time schmoozing each other and being schmoozed by lobbyists - short Congressional sessions (if they're in session they're only going to pass yet more laws) and so a short time spent there. Mandate that employers are required to give any employee who is elected to Congress time off to attend sessions, and then pay the congressman whatever deduction his employer makes. Anything to lessen the deadening impact of a cadre of professional politicians.

Offline Karin

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »
Congresscritters is they never seem to live under the laws they pass.

I've never understood how they get away with that.  Even sexual harassment laws!   It bugs me that they can vote to give themselves pay raises, too. 

I would definitely eliminate government sector employee unions. 

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 03:54:18 PM »
Two big ones.

1) Eliminate the federal reserve!!
2) GO BACK TO THE GOLD STANDARD!!

I also agree with eliminating the 16th amendment and placing a fair tax requirement.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2012, 04:40:18 PM »
1--you want welfare/food stamps?  Fine--here's the drug test, here's your vouchers for food from the "food stamp store" where they DON'T sell chips, beer, lobsters, etc., we meet at 0600 daily Mon-Fri to pick up trash on the highway or whatever the hell else needs doing.  No sitting on your ass collecting a check.

2--EIC?  GONE.  EVERYONE pays into the system.  Even if it's just 1 percent, EVERYONE pays.

3--Congress now has a 12-year limit (2 terms Senate, 6 terms House.)  No revolving doors. 

There are a few others (eliminate public sector unions, greatly simplify tax code, nationwide CCW reciprocity, etc.,) but you get the idea.

Nmber 3 is a good idea but it needs a ban on that person holding any appointed office lower than cabinet secretary for twelve years.  Otherwise we would wind up with a bureacracy riddled with politicians and corrupt beyond all belief.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken