Author Topic: Perseid meteors set to put on a show  (Read 4097 times)

Offline CG6468

Perseid meteors set to put on a show
« on: August 11, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »
Perseid meteors set to put on a show

10/08/2012 10:09:05 AM

CBC News
The annual Perseid meteor shower takes centre stage this weekend, painting the night sky with glowing streaks of light.

One of the most dazzling shows of the year is upon us, but you won't need a ticket to see it live. A front-row view may be as close as the nearest open space or rooftop.

The annual Perseid meteor shower takes centre stage this weekend, painting the night sky with glowing streaks of light. The spectacle begins every year in mid-July and lasts through August, but the best time to take in the show this year is when the meteor shower peaks on Saturday night and early Sunday.

The show is free, so grab a blanket and head outside to watch the spectacle. And if you miss the event this year you can always catch it again next August. This performance has a standing engagement.

What's the best place to watch meteor showers?

Find the darkest place you can, with an open sky and away from light pollution. Try to get outside any settled area. If there is a bright moon, try to position yourself so its light is shielded from your field of vision.

Get all starry eyed tonight........[/[/color]url]
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Perseid meteors set to put on a show
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 12:57:40 PM »
Awesome.  I'm going to have to see if I can get some pictures.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:41:38 AM »

The warmest, sunniest summer in years and we get this crap for the one weekend I care about the weather  :argh:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 10:34:31 AM »

The warmest, sunniest summer in years and we get this crap for the one weekend I care about the weather  :argh:

Same here, the last couple of nights have been partially cloudy.

Offline Undies

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 11:02:26 AM »
Missed the meteor show?  Easy!

Close your eyes.  Now make two fists.  Rub closed eyes till you see sparkles.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »
I got off of work at 4am Sunday morning...and I hoped to be able to catch some of the "fireworks". Alas...the sky was full of clouds and I didn't get to see a thing :(
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »
I was going to go down to the dam at the lake but my car crapped out on me last night.:mad:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 05:43:26 PM »
For two months there have been little or no clouds, then for the past 3 days it's been mostly cloudy to overcast .  Mother Nature is a bitch.

That being said, we did get about a 1/4 inch of rain last night and the clouds today have prevented the sun from burning it off.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 05:50:26 PM »
I'd trade the show for the rain this summer!  We don't have any grass left, just dead standing hay...   :bawl:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
I'd trade the show for the rain this summer!  We don't have any grass left, just dead standing hay...   :bawl:

Even after this little shower, some areas of the lawn greened up, but not much. 

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 08:28:37 PM »
Saw some beauties on Saturday night.  Big ol streakers......saw meteors too :-)
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."-----John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Offline sunsettommy

• Patriot Master
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 10:59:02 PM »
Missed it due to the rare clouds that came around to annoy me and a few hundred others.

:rant:

But did enjoy the impressive Leonids of 2001 where I was seeing well over a THOUSAND in the hour.I wore my freezer suit and laid down on a tarp that cold November night with some patchy clouds in the night sky.

:-)

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 01:36:42 AM »
Drought owebuma, It's Bush's fault. If he had cause another Katrina, and directed it to hit the heartland, we wouldn't be having all these problems.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.