Author Topic: German (Indian-born) teen solves 300-year-old math problems  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Danglars

• Banned

Published May 27, 2012
NewsCore

DRESDEN, Germany –  A German 16-year-old has become the first person to solve a mathematical problem posed by Sir Isaac Newton more than 300 years ago.

Shouryya Ray worked out how to calculate exactly the path of a projectile under gravity and subject to air resistance, The (London) Sunday Times reported.

The Indian-born teen said he solved the problem that had stumped mathematicians for centuries while working on a school project.

Ray won a research award for his efforts and has been labeled a genius by the German media, but he put it down to "curiosity and schoolboy naivety."

"When it was explained to us that the problems had no solutions, I thought to myself, 'well, there's no harm in trying,'" he said.

Ray's family moved to Germany when he was 12 after his engineer father got a job at a technical college. He said his father instilled in him a "hunger for mathematics" and taught him calculus at the age of six.

Ray's father, Subhashis, said his son's mathematical prowess quickly outstripped his own considerable knowledge.

"He never discussed his project with me before it was finished and the mathematics he used are far beyond my reach," he said.

Despite not speaking a word of German when he arrived, Ray will this week sit Germany's high school leaving exams, two years ahead of his peers.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/27/german-teen-solves-300-year-old-mathematical-riddle-posed-by-sir-isaac-newton/#ixzz1wTap0kZF

[/qiote]
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/27/german-teen-solves-300-year-old-mathematical-riddle-posed-by-sir-isaac-newton/

Could we trade our Mexicans (the illegal ones) for Indians, please?

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: German (Indian-born) teen solves 300-year-old math problems
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 02:18:31 PM »
Not the Liz Warren type I assume ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Danglars

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 04:27:50 PM »
Not the Liz Warren type I assume ?

I think we already have those.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 06:09:59 AM »

Published May 27, 2012
NewsCore

DRESDEN, Germany –  A German 16-year-old has become the first person to solve a mathematical problem posed by Sir Isaac Newton more than 300 years ago.

Shouryya Ray worked out how to calculate exactly the path of a projectile under gravity and subject to air resistance, The (London) Sunday Times reported.

The Indian-born teen said he solved the problem that had stumped mathematicians for centuries while working on a school project.

Ray won a research award for his efforts and has been labeled a genius by the German media, but he put it down to "curiosity and schoolboy naivety."

"When it was explained to us that the problems had no solutions, I thought to myself, 'well, there's no harm in trying,'" he said.

Ray's family moved to Germany when he was 12 after his engineer father got a job at a technical college. He said his father instilled in him a "hunger for mathematics" and taught him calculus at the age of six.

Ray's father, Subhashis, said his son's mathematical prowess quickly outstripped his own considerable knowledge.

"He never discussed his project with me before it was finished and the mathematics he used are far beyond my reach," he said.

Despite not speaking a word of German when he arrived, Ray will this week sit Germany's high school leaving exams, two years ahead of his peers.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/27/german-teen-solves-300-year-old-mathematical-riddle-posed-by-sir-isaac-newton/#ixzz1wTap0kZF

[/qiote]
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/27/german-teen-solves-300-year-old-mathematical-riddle-posed-by-sir-isaac-newton/

Could we trade our Mexicans (the illegal ones) for Indians, please?

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 06:31:10 AM »
Why the big surprise, this child did not go by the rules of listen and follow his teachers, except for his father.

We have seen what happens when a student questions a teacher on You Tube, they get smacked down. Yelled at and threatened with arrest.

I am sure that in 300 years there have been thousands and thousands of Adult Mathematicians that have tried to solve the Puzzle.    All as other Adults had other things, Adult things to cause them to abandon the study and as a hobby with no Peer input------.

It took a long time for a genius at math to teach his son Math.   The old ways of a father teaching a son his trade.

Kids you know tell them something is impossible and they set out to prove you wrong. Kids, keep them curious and wanting to learn, help them as far as you can and the child will master the parent.