Author Topic: horsepower  (Read 23514 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: horsepower
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2011, 10:55:38 AM »
Speaking of coal strings, several years ago, Mrs.D and I took a road trip up to the Black Hills area, on back roads (some gravel) from KC, up through the Nebraska Sand Hills, into SD.  As we traveled west (I don't remember the highway) we were travelling along a double road (two track sets, one for trains in each direction), which carried nothing but coal strings......one after another, spaced perhaps fifteen to twenty minutes apart, fully loaded going east, and equally spaced empties deadheading west.  We assumed they were coming from the coal fields in western Wyoming and Montana.  It was a massive display of RR hauling capability.

Don't know where they are divided and routed to their ultimate destinations, but some of them come through here, on the N&S road about a mile from our house.  We also see coal strings bound for local power plants coming from the Peabody fields in SW Missouri and SE Kansas.

You went up Nebraska Highway 2 towards Chadron, which would be the only possible scenario with the picture you painted.  That was the old Chicago, Burlington & Quincy line, now I guess the Burlington Northern unless they changed their name again.

You went right through the town where I spent my adolescence.

This was the Hastings (near Grand Island)-Billings, Montana, branch line of the old CB&Q.  When I was growing up, it was a little-used line.  The "division points" were at Grand Island, Ravenna, and Alliance.  Alliance, on the outer western edge of the Sandhills, was the major point.

During the Reagan-Bush-Gingrich-Bush prosperity, this once little-used line was double-tracked to bring coal from Montana further south, and it's been a very lucrative business for the Burlington Northern (if it's still called that).  For a while, I guess, a few years back, it was also the longest line using strictly continuously-welded rails.

It's much different than it was when I grew up there, again the result of tax-and-spend policies that encouraged opening up the remote areas.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline CG6468

« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2011, 10:56:17 AM »
Doc, the BNSF runs some HUGE unit trains of coal to the east.

Oops. Frank beat me to it!  :thatsright:
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2011, 10:56:46 AM »
DAT.....perhaps you can answer a question for me.......CG's photos and clips above of UP844 show a vertical flat shield on both sides of the front of the locomotive extending from several feet in front of the boiler back for about 30% of the locomotive's length.  

These were almost universally used on European steam locomotives (but not American), and I could never figure their purpose.

I'm certain you know.......

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2011, 10:57:45 AM »
Doc, the BNSF runs some HUGE unit trains of coal to the east.

Okay, that's it, the name now.

The Burlington Northern Santa Fe.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline CG6468

« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2011, 10:59:51 AM »
DAT.....perhaps you can answer a question for me.......CG's photos and clips above of UP844 show a vertical flat shield on both sides of the front of the locomotive extending from several feet in front of the boiler back for about 30% of the locomotive's length.  

These were almost universally used on European steam locomotives (but not American), and I could never figure their purpose.

doc

I have one thought on this, Doc. They probably prevented snow from falling back under the wheels of the locomotives after the plows had cut through the snow.

But that's only a guess.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2011, 11:01:47 AM »
Okay, that's it, the name now.

The Burlington Northern Santa Fe.

Correcto mundo!

Burlington (Chicago, Burlington and Quincy [CB&Q]) + Great Northern + Santa Fe.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2011, 11:04:44 AM »
CSX uses this jet engine gadget to clear tracks/ switches of ice around Buffalo, New York.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OO94Bk1cgw[/youtube]

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2011, 11:07:30 AM »
Correcto mundo!

Burlington (Chicago, Burlington and Quincy [CB&Q]) + Great Northern + Santa Fe.

There was a whole spate of railway mergers after I stopped keeping track of trains.

It's odd, that for decades, generations, the Union Pacific was compelled to stop at Omaha and Kansas City, not allowed to reach towards Chicago and St. Louis, the main railway centers of North America, depending upon lesser lines to carry goods that short distance and give them to eastern roads at Chicago and St. Louis--and now the Union Pacific covers nearly all the United States west of Indiana down to Louisiana.

By the way, the Union Pacific has its own police force, with official federal, state, and local law-enforcement rights.  One wonders what the primitives would think of that if they knew it, a private corporation thus empowered.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline CG6468

« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2011, 11:10:18 AM »
CSX uses this jet engine gadget to clear tracks/ switches of ice around Buffalo, New York.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OO94Bk1cgw[/youtube]

Ice is just as bad or worse for trains than it is for cars. When the switches freeze up with ice, there will be serious problems.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2011, 11:13:45 AM »

Up here on the roof of Nebraska, there aren't any rails any more; it's all a very long bicycle and horse-riding trail alongside the Niobrara River.

The Chicago & Northwestern once had a line, converging from Chicago, Omaha, and Minneapolis-St. Paul on Sioux City, where the lines all came together and headed westward across here.

They perhaps had hopes of building a line clear to the Pacific, but withered out somewhere in mid-Wyoming.

The height of the line's fame was during the 1920s, when Calvin Coolidge used the Black Hills as his Camp David, and came via train through here many times.  He didn't have to, but he took the opportunity anyway to campaign in all these very small towns, stopping in at the local hotel or watering-hole to have a cup of coffee while the locomotive was getting filled with water.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline CG6468

« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2011, 11:25:47 AM »
Empire State Express No. 999 preserved and on display at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry.

In Syracuse, NY, 5/13/1893.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2011, 11:28:39 AM »
Up here on the roof of Nebraska, there aren't any rails any more; it's all a very long bicycle and horse-riding trail alongside the Niobrara River.

They did that down here to the old MK&T (Missouri, Kansas & Texas) "Katy" line, which winds along the Missouri River across most of the state......it's now a bicycle trail......

The rest of our roads (except spurs), are pretty much intact.......probably due to the fact that Missouri was on the "main line" for many of the roads going east/west, and NW/SE.....coast to  coast.

doc

Confucius

Offline CG6468

« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2011, 11:31:35 AM »
The "Katy." I haven't heard that name in a long time.

It's search time - if not today then - no, tomorrow, I have to go up past the cheddar curtain - well, sometime!  :lmao:

Offline CG6468

« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2011, 11:43:51 AM »
Need a special cell phone ring?

Cell Phone Rings

Offline CG6468

« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
Missouri, Kansas, Texas (The Katy).

Offline CG6468

« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2011, 12:02:44 PM »
SLSF 1522 (St. Louis and San Francisco).

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2011, 12:12:19 PM »
By the way, the Union Pacific has its own police force, with official federal, state, and local law-enforcement rights.  One wonders what the primitives would think of that if they knew it, a private corporation thus empowered.

I always wondered about that, when seeing the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Police SUVs here in town.  It looks like the BNSF Police have the same jurisdiction powers:

49 USC - Sec. 28101
http://us-code.vlex.com/vid/sec-rail-police-officers-19259784

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2011, 12:17:45 PM »
From Steamtown, National Historic Site. A very cool place~

If ever passing through the northeast near Scranton, Pennsylvania this would be a great "whistle stop".

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2011, 12:20:29 PM »
Does anyone remember this from the US Bicentennial in 1976?

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jLC1_Ymhyk&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Dressed out in her original SP colors.....

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWGc8JAWWj0&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

It carried the Declaration of Independence and US Constitution on tour across the country.......we had the opportunity to see it in New York (it was a zoo).

doc
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:30:54 PM by TVDOC »

Confucius

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2011, 12:20:34 PM »
Walter Chrysler started out washing locomotives as a boy and eventually worked his way up to engineer.  It's an amazing story.

His hand-made tools are on display at the Chrysler Building in New York.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2011, 12:29:55 PM »

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »

doc

They have two purposes, Doc, one is purely stylistic, but on the giants, they actually served a useful purpose for airflow to take the smoke up.  The giant locomotives still had to clear the road's loading gage for tunnel and bridge clearance, leaving very little room for a stack to provide uptake for the smoke, so the wings channel air back over the top of the boiler to lift the exhaust smoke.  A lot of which is actually the exhaust steam from the cylinders, which shoots up the stack under its own expansive power, and provides draw to pull the actual smoke through the boiler tubes and up the stack, and therefore pull air into the firebox all the way back in the cab.  The very front of the boiler is called the 'Smokebox' because that is where the exhaust steam and outlet end of the boiler tubes comes together and is ducted together to produce that draw.

European railroads use a smaller loading gage and lighter maximum axle weights than American Class 1 railroads, even though (Except for anything built by the Russians) the rail guage was the same as ours.  Entirely different coupling system, of course...both started with link-and-pin, they improved it until it was safe but labor-intensive with buffers and turnbuckle hooks, we junked it entirely and adopted the automatic knuckle coupler and air brake systems.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2011, 01:02:29 PM »
This rail road bridge is just a few miles from here in Letchworth State Park. It spans the Genesee river over the "upper falls", one of three waterfalls in the park. Now 136 years old it still carries regular rail traffic today. It is 820 feet long and 240 feet high. To give perspective, the falls seen below it are 71 feet high and 300 feet wide.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCM0I7nMqZo[/youtube]

This bridge was built in 1875 of iron and steel atop the stone abutments of the first bridge. The first bridge was erected in 1851-52 by the Erie Rail Road. It was entirely consumed by fire May 06, 1875 leaving only the stone abutments remaining.

The first bridge~

Offline CG6468

« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2011, 01:12:03 PM »
Durango & Silverton Railroad.

We camped right near this railroad in 1972. And then, just by happenstance, we pulled into the same campground in 1995 and camped in the exact same location as the first time.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y31i6T1byVQ&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1kvCKT9bl4&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2011, 01:18:05 PM »
They have two purposes, Doc, one is purely stylistic, but on the giants, they actually served a useful purpose for airflow to take the smoke up.  The giant locomotives still had to clear the road's loading gage for tunnel and bridge clearance, leaving very little room for a stack to provide uptake for the smoke, so the wings channel air back over the top of the boiler to lift the exhaust smoke.  A lot of which is actually the exhaust steam from the cylinders, which shoots up the stack under its own expansive power, and provides draw to pull the actual smoke through the boiler tubes and up the stack, and therefore pull air into the firebox all the way back in the cab.  The very front of the boiler is called the 'Smokebox' because that is where the exhaust steam and outlet end of the boiler tubes comes together and is ducted together to produce that draw.

European railroads use a smaller loading gage and lighter maximum axle weights than American Class 1 railroads, even though (Except for anything built by the Russians) the rail guage was the same as ours.  Entirely different coupling system, of course...both started with link-and-pin, they improved it until it was safe but labor-intensive with buffers and turnbuckle hooks, we junked it entirely and adopted the automatic knuckle coupler and air brake systems.

The mystery is solved!!  Thanks, makes perfect sense, smoke and soot were always a problem with steam.

doc

Confucius