Author Topic: Liberal Group Gives Obama's Faith-Based Initiative Thumbs Down  (Read 690 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Liberal Group Gives Obama's Faith-Based Initiative Thumbs Down

(CNSNews.com) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama is courting evangelicals with his support for expansion of President Bush's "faith-based" programs, but not everyone is pleased. A liberal religious watchdog group called the move "disappointing."

The Illinois senator said Bush's program did not provide enough funding for social service programs for the poor. Speaking to reporters in Zanesville, Ohio, Obama said he wants faith-based social programs to be a "central" mission in his administration, because social issues like poverty are too big for the government to handle alone.

"We need an all-hands-on-deck approach," Obama said. His Council for Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships would include a training program for community faith-based groups so they can to teach smaller groups how to apply for government programs.

Obama proposed a new summer learning program, which would benefit up to 1 million children, cost $500 million a year and be financed by cutting wasteful spending in federal procurement and management.

"I am disappointed," said the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State. "This initiative has been a failure on all counts, and it ought to be shut down, not expanded."

Obama said he believed "deeply in the separation of church and state," and he didn't think the faith-based and neighborhood partnership would "endanger that idea."

*snip*

Meanwhile, a conservative group criticized Obama's support for faith-based programs as a contradiction to his stance on abortion.

"Sadly, Senator Obama does not have the moral authority to address these issues while supporting the tragic killing of innocent children and diminishing of women through abortion," Rev. Patrick J. Mahoney, director of the Christian Defense Coalition, said in a statement.

MORE

obama-lama-ding-dong's "cloak of invincibility" is coming unraveled. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Re: Liberal Group Gives Obama's Faith-Based Initiative Thumbs Down
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 08:48:13 AM »
Had it been Muslim only faith based, we wouldn't hear a peep from them I'll bet.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Jim

Re: Liberal Group Gives Obama's Faith-Based Initiative Thumbs Down
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 11:01:02 AM »
I guess they didn't see him give them the wink....
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.