Author Topic: Senate passes package extending Bush tax cuts  (Read 1005 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Senate passes package extending Bush tax cuts
« on: December 15, 2010, 01:02:04 PM »
AP story

81-19.  That is a healthy majority.

Offline cavegal

Re: Senate passes package extending Bush tax cuts
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
 :banghead:

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline 5412

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 01:37:23 PM »
AP story

81-19.  That is a healthy majority.

Hi,

To me that is not the story.  Got the following from a friend in IL.

Looks like Kirk is the new "Olympia Snow" of the Illinois Republican Party!!! What else did we expect of him?

Six Republican senators voted on Wednesday against an amendment to permanently extend the expiring Bush-era tax cuts.

A group of GOP centrists voted down a measure sought by Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) to set in stone current tax rates.

Sens. Scott Brown (Mass.), Susan Collins (Maine), Mark Kirk (Ill.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), Olympia Snowe (Maine) and George Voinovich (Ohio) all bucked DeMint on a procedural vote to suspend Senate rules and allow for the amendment

Why the heck would anyone not want them made permanent?  At least a Republican that understands that tax cuts bring in more revenue to the government and tax increases do the opposite. 

I still think Murkowski stole it in Alaska.

We still have some RINO's to weed out.

regards,

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 01:42:49 PM »
Hi,

To me that is not the story.  Got the following from a friend in IL.

Looks like Kirk is the new "Olympia Snow" of the Illinois Republican Party!!! What else did we expect of him?

Six Republican senators voted on Wednesday against an amendment to permanently extend the expiring Bush-era tax cuts.

A group of GOP centrists voted down a measure sought by Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) to set in stone current tax rates.

Sens. Scott Brown (Mass.), Susan Collins (Maine), Mark Kirk (Ill.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), Olympia Snowe (Maine) and George Voinovich (Ohio) all bucked DeMint on a procedural vote to suspend Senate rules and allow for the amendment

Why the heck would anyone not want them made permanent?  At least a Republican that understands that tax cuts bring in more revenue to the government and tax increases do the opposite. 

I still think Murkowski stole it in Alaska.

We still have some RINO's to weed out.

regards,

We knew that Kirk would be a RINO. That is about the only type of Republican that comes from Illinois any more.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 03:40:58 PM »
There are reasons to vote for this, though I personally would have preferred for it to just remain in deadlock until the new Congress.  Each Senator has to judge his own constituency, and what THEY want, not what people in the US at large might want, in deciding his vote.  However, the real battle on this now moves to the Pelosi-led House, which is adamant about voting the inheritance tax provisions separately from the income tax ones, and even then with more punitive terms. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 06:48:21 AM »
Still gotta get through the House.  AND any changes have to go back and be approved by the Senate.

Personally, I'd love to see San Fran Nan hold this up.  Oh, please, please, please, you stupid git, hold it up...
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford